It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barak cancels Paris trip over flotilla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Barak cancels Paris trip over flotilla

www.jpost.com

Defense Minister Ehud Barak's office announced Sunday that he would stay in Israel while the government establishes a committee to investigate the raid on the Gaza-bound flotilla.

Barak was set to dedicate a new Israeli booth at the Eurosatory 2010 Air Salon in Paris, which opens this week. He was also slated to meet high-ranking French officials, including French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.presstv.ir
www1.voanews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
French activists to sue Israel at ICJ over fatal flotilla raid
Jews to send Gaza blockade-buster ship
After delay, Algerian aid convoy arrives in Gaza
Israeli eases Gaza blockade on some banned food items, critics say move insignificant

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Pro-Palestinian activists had threatened to try to have charges brought in Europe against Barak and other Israeli officials under the principle of universal jurisdiction.

That principle allows the prosecution of suspected war criminals in countries that have no direct connection with the events.

In addition, former navy commander and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) head Ami Ayalon called on Barak to "accept responsibility for the consequences of the decision to raid [last week's Gaza-bound] flotilla."

Speaking on Israel Radio, Ayalon said the government showed "poor decision making" and that "the blockade became the policy objective instead of the means to achieve the objective."

He criticized Barak for spearheading Israel's strong-arm policy without regard for the need for international support

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.jpost.com...

According to some reports, Barak has canceled his trip over fears of being arrested. Pro-Palestinian activists, including some that were aboard a vessel in the flotilla that was attacked, have threatened and are moving forward with not only a lawsuit in french courts but also criminal charges under the principals of universal justice.

Israel's defense ministry said Sunday that Barak has decided to remain in Israel until a panel of experts is formed to investigate the raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www1.voanews.com...

This sure sounds as if he is worried about being arrested in France. Surely, he would want to save face by continuing on to France unless there was a big possibility of him being arrested. Shoot, even the child-molestor Roman Polanski was safe in France.

--airspoon

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
cannot tell you how many times i've heard the word "flotilla" this month.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thaknobodi

I felt the same way in 2001 about Bin Laden and again in 2003 about Iraq. It's crazy how these mega-scandals and disasters happen, yet people aren't so quick to ignore them. Who'd ever have thought?

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The more people hear about, the better chance we have of real change. By ignoring our problems, we won't can't even begin to solve them. Remember that little motto, "deny ignorance"?

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
why would he be arrested? wasnt all legal? now he is scared?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I don't understand why Obama would be arrested either?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Not American President Barack Obama, Israel Defense Minister Ehud Barak.
2nd line.

--airspoon

[edit on 14-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Maybe soon all these war criminals will have to stay in Israel..

Thats a safe haven....

Maybe Polanski should move there..

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Maybe someone can have commandos go round him up.. same way isreal did with the nazis after ww2..

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Ohhhhhh haha I need to learn to read

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I think it would be much better if we took the moral high-ground, even if that means that justice is not served. What would it solve if we stoop to the level of those we are arguing against? As much as I would like to see justice served, I would like to do it with moral dignity.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." --Thomas Paine

--airspoon

[edit on 14-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I think it would be much better if we took the moral high-ground

Maybe you the average american, but your goverment doesn't listen to you.....Same here BTW

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." --Thomas Paine

Makes you wonder...Didn't the IDF attack the USS Liberty??

Maybe that was symbolic on Israel's part.

new topics

top topics

join