It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Oil Spill solution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Here is my attempt to help. The dome would be lowered on last after the base is set and secured. When the dome is placed the relief valves will be wide open as well as the pipes going to ships to control the pressure.

Once the dome is in place the relief valves would close to force the oil/water up to the boats and to control the dome pressure.

Not sure if it works that way but the water relief valves on bottom could remain open if the oil floats up to the top at the dome. maybe good to leave some water in it to help modulate the pressure.

If Egyptians can build pyramids and Japan can build islands then we can certainly do this if BP is force to spend its money to make it happen.

Sorry for the art work lol did it in paint and I am not artistic at all.

X

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/5b41d75cc6bcf1d7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Good idea, so star and flag. The last attempt to cap it failed, but its hardly surprising if it was just a cap, without any oil-pressure relief pipe.

Your oil, collection, cap could probably consist of little more than some “builders plastic sheets” (polythene) soldered up, and weighted down. You’d also need half a kilometre of piping (at the sheets collection point) but this pipe could probably be mains-supply, plastic, gas piping (so already in stock somewhere in US).

Being plastic this would have a tendency to float, which is good as you only need a few strategically placed weights, plastic strings, & metal anchors to stabilise the whole thing.
Alternatively (if it didn’t float enough) then just attaching e.g. polystyrene to the pipes would ensure they were stable.

Given all materials are in stock, I doubt it’d take more than 4 days to set up. Only problem is I suspect people are still getting rich from reverse trading, BP shares & bonds.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

I suppose they could make the base anchors capable of controlled up and down movement to provide the pressure relief. In such deep pressure will the oil mainly stay at the top and water on the bottom? If so then allowing pressure to escape in a controlled manner at the bottom of the base would work as nothing but water would escape at the bottom.

I just do not have the knowledge to know if it works like that so far down with all the pressure.

Sure wish they would do something. I live on the gulf coast and I saw oil not even 3 miles out yesterday while fishing off Destin, FL. At least I believe it was oil. Don't want to say for sure since I cannot test it but sure looked like it.

join