It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's silly World Cup goal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I don’t know if America’s soccer team has the World Cup championship in mind , but they are not going to reach it with silly scores like this one.

England’s keeper will remember this for the rest of his life, but to be honest his nerves seemed to be frazzled long before his slip…
Less than one minute before the goal , I noticed the English keeper was outside of his box when the American keeper booted the ball across the entire length of the field and it bounced once before soaring again and going out of bounds.

When I saw this I thought of one of the goal keepers for the country of Uruguay many years ago. That’s right Uruguay, because Uruguay is the only country ever to have a goal scored on them by an opponents’ keeper.
That’s right, a keeper once scored a goal against Uruguay’s soccer team.
Well it was this Uruguayan keeper I was thinking of after I saw how badly out of position England’s goalie was in the moment I described above. I was thinking of how much shame the Uruguayan goalie must have felt for letting that happen, and my thoughts then drifted to the English goalie having to experience the same thing. I mean I was imagining the English goalie being in a similar position and then, Bam, he let’s in a goal that he should have stopped easily.

I felt it was more just my being able to read the game and was not intuitive or psychic on my part. The goalie being out of position just moments before that goal was what gave it away.

Also to further back up my point, the ball which England’s goalie caught a little while before that was a very slow shot, and was very easy to stop. England’s goalie stopped, then wrapped himself around it, then fell on it. It was so overly done and I think was even more of a give away that he was not on his game, unless he always does that with simple shots? Is he always dramatic?

As an American I saw my team get lucky with a silly goal, but I watched them put some heat on England on several different occasions as well.

Did anyone else read what I read? Did anyone else notice something funny about England's keeper like I did before his slip?

What do you UK folks across the pond have to say about this? What are the papers saying? What do you Americans think about this? And is America going to advance again in this world cup?
Do you follow what I’m saying about how England’s goalie looked “off” even before his slip-up?

Green should be glad he wasn't scored on by America's keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Ah well

Its a funny game soccer

Soemtimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you get plain lucky like the yanks did against England. I guess the Poms have nobody to blame but Green on that one.

Hopefully we get lucky against Germany in about 2 hours time!! We sure need it

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The Uruguayan keeper has scored more international goals than England front man Emile Heskey.
Robert green conceeded the most goals in last seasons Premiership. Now Im no expert in football, but surely these 2 players dont really deserve a place in the national team. last nights performance pretty much confirms it for me.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Ah well

Its a funny game soccer

Soemtimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you get plain lucky like the yanks did against England. I guess the Poms have nobody to blame but Green on that one.

Hopefully we get lucky against Germany in about 2 hours time!! We sure need it

It IS a funny game. And us "yanks" as you call us in OZ, OZ, are the only ones who call it that.
It's ironic, it's the WORLD's game , but Americans could hardly give a snip about it, and they call it by a funny name.
I've never heard the English called Poms before. Interesting.

Well I will be cheering for Oz, Oz, because, well , Australia rocks

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
The Uruguayan keeper has scored more international goals than England front man Emile Heskey.
Robert green conceeded the most goals in last seasons Premiership. Now Im no expert in football, but surely these 2 players dont really deserve a place in the national team. last nights performance pretty much confirms it for me.

I'm no expert either, WWJr. That reply was brilliant, thanks. And I agree with you.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It doesn't matter.

If it wasn't Green then it would have been someone else on the English side that would have made the mistake.

That's because England always chokes and this time it was no exception. They're terrible.

And those Brits have the gall to criticize Canada for the Olympics when they are the poster boys for futility in the sport they invented. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
db pt

[edit on 15-6-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
It doesn't matter.

If it wasn't Green then it would have been someone else on the English side that would have made the mistake.

That's because England always chokes and this time it was no exception. They're terrible.

And those Brits have the gall to criticize Canada for the Olympics when they are the poster boys for futility in the sport they invented. Pathetic.

well thats the great thing about us Brits OUR biggest sports achievement was inventing nearly all the major sports played in the world. I think in general our footballers lack bottle. I dont know why, but we seem to get scared in these big tournaments, players under perform and we seem to make every game a real struggle.

I dont know why it is. I'm sure we will be reflecting on those questions coz i cant see us getting very far

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
God damn Greene!
But James has been amazing, so cool under pressure! I'm glad america is through to last 16 i just wish you would call the sport by its proper name name which is F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L. As in, using your foot to usher a ball into a net!
Donovan took a chance and it worked, thats what strikers do so you cant fault the guy. However, USA winning the group is just...you dont deserve that

But good look against ghana.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Congrats to Team USA! No one thought they could do it. But they did!

World Cup Champs!

Too bad most Americans don't even care about it to notice.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
At least, he didn't make a Bjarte Flem mistake.

He was immortalized for his mistake during a match against Sogndal I.L. in 1988, which was shown (unfortunately for Flem) on live television. As Flem was about to throw the ball to a defender on his own team, he threw the ball into his own goal instead. While he was swinging his arm to throw the ball, he changed his mind when he figured out that his teammate was man-marked, resulting in that he let the ball go when he was aiming towards his own goal. The incident made the front pages of national newspapers the next day, and was shown on television in countries across the globe. In Norway, the name Bjarte Flem has become eponymous for a goalkeeper making a huge mistake.

top topics

join