It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Must See!! Videos Of Oil Leaking Thru Cracks In The Sea Floor!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Thank you for your well thought out contribution to my thread. You make an interesting point. As others have mentioned it's the things coming out of the well besides oil that can have some catastrophic effects on life ....toxic chemicals and now ancient bacteria that we will have no immunity to.
Ahhh, that's what I love about us conspiracy theorists....we're always taking it one step further and in another direction. It certainly keeps things interesting.
God help us all.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
www.bp.com...

On June 14th, a total of approximately 15,420 barrels of oil were collected and 33.2 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared.

HOUSTON, June 15 (Reuters) - A team of U.S. scientists on Tuesday upped their high-end estimate of the amount of crude oil flowing from BP Plc's (BP.L) (BP.N) stricken Gulf of Mexico well by 50 percent, the second major upward revision in less than a week. The scientists said the "most likely flow rate of oil today" ranges from 35,000 to 60,000 barrels (1.47 million and 2.52 million gallons/5.57 million and 9.54 million litres) per day.

www.reuters.com...

33.2 million cubic feet of methane equals 5,533 barrel equivalent by volume at the surface.

15,420 barrels of oil and the equivalent of 5,533 barrels of gas were captured on June 14th., for a total of 20,933 barrels., let's call it 21,000 barrels with slightly more than a quarter of it gas.

So with the new estimate of 35-60,000 bbd, there is 14-39,000 bbd going into the Gulf, with 9-10,000 bbd equivalent of gas, and has been for a week or two with the nearly the full amount for the rest of the time.

Using 9,500 bbd equivalent you get 57,000,000 scf per day of gas going into the Gulf. Using 12,000 bbd, you get 72 MMscf/day.

So if we err on the side of consevativism, we get 65 MMscf per day going in, for a grand total of

3,705,000,000 cubic feet of natural gas

minimum, up to 4,104 MMscf, injected into the Gulf so far.

And that's if you believe the current figures.

When you count the methane hydrates sublimating out unmeasured....no way to scale that yet...and the umeasured sea floor leakage...

Not good no matter how you cut it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

And of course the natural gas is perhaps more insidious because we don't see it in the water but it's there and from what I 've read it displaces the oxygen in the water killing the sea life.
And yes the numbers you've given are staggering. I believe the world's largest oil spill before this....the one in Mexico I think in the 70's....eventually spilled some 300 million gallons. Aren't we passed that amount so far now?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants

And of course the natural gas is perhaps more insidious because we don't see it in the water but it's there and from what I 've read it displaces the oxygen in the water killing the sea life.
And yes the numbers you've given are staggering. I believe the world's largest oil spill before this....the one in Mexico I think in the 70's....eventually spilled some 300 million gallons. Aren't we passed that amount so far now?

Methane to the atmosphere as a 72X greater greenhouse gas than CO2 over 20 years:

Some good news about Methane:
... sea floor methane

One of the world’s largest and best studied seep regions, the Coal Oil Point seep field, is located along the northern side of the Santa Barbara Channel. The seep field emits gas, oil, and tar in water 5 m to 70 m deep. Most gas bubbles are composed of ~90% methane at the seafloor and ~60 – 70% methane at the sea-surface. The gaseous methane emission is in the range of two million cubic feet per day. Colleagues at the University of California, Santa Barbara, investigated the amount of methane dissolved in the ocean originating from Coil Oil Point seep field in an earlier study (published in Journal of Geophysical Research). They estimated another two million cubic feet per day of methane are dissolved into the water above the seafloor vents.

The fate of that dissolved methane, however, remained uncertain. Usually dissolved methane is transported with the ocean currents and forms so called methane ‘plumes’ (water with higher methane concentrations than background), which can degas to the atmosphere. As methane is a potent greenhouse gas that warms the Earth 23 times more than carbon dioxide when averaged over a century, quantification of the amount of methane entering the atmosphere is critical.

Based on the time series we concluded that ‘normal’ ocean conditions were present when we sampled the 280 square kilometer area. On that day the methane plume spread over 70 square kilometers. Together with data of wind speed, the amount of methane transferred into the air was estimated.

Significantly, our results indicate that only one percent of the dissolved methane from the Coal Oil Point seep field escapes into the air. Good news for earth’s atmosphere. But what happens to the rest of the dissolved methane?

And some not so unexpected bad news from Russia, but we also have the same things going on in Alaska!
fears of undersea methane leaks

The East Siberian Arctic Shelf — a 2.1-million-square-kilometer patch of Arctic seafloor that was exposed during the most recent ice age, when sea levels were lower — is three times larger than all of today’s land-based Siberian wetlands. When the region was above sea level, tundra vegetation pulled carbon dioxide from the air as plants grew. That organic material, much of which didn’t decompose in the frigid Arctic, accumulated in the soil and is the source of modern methane.

The abundance of methane in the Earth's atmosphere in 1998 was 1745 parts per billion (ppb):
1750 = 700 ppb
2008 = 1,800 ppb
2010 = 1850 ppb (arctic) a level scientists described as being higher than at any time in the previous 400,000 years
Historically, methane concentrations in the world's atmosphere have ranged between 300 and 400 ppb during glacial periods commonly known as ice ages, and between 600 to 700 ppb during the warm interglacial periods.

Wiki // Methane

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I know that many of you are interested in watching the live feeds from the leaking well, so here are a couple of links to multi-feeds, allowing you to watch several at once. I am sharing these in the hope that you can also take these links and place them either in other threads here on ATS, send them to your friends or post them on any other places you visit.

The more ways we can share, the better.

This one shows a good range of live feeds. The quality is also pretty good but unless you have a fast connection it might take a while to load.

Please note the "Top Hat Gauge" in the top right image. (Skandi ROV 2.) (We're looking at the gauge from upside down.) It moves clockwise from lower to higher pressure. Yesterday the indicator needle was nearer horizontal (in what appears to be 3 o'clock) than today, showing that the pressure is apparently rising.

This page also shows several live feeds but it's not so well laid out. However, it might load faster for some of you.

Because (in terms of info) more is always better than less, here's another page with multiple live feeds.

I hope this information will be useful to some members. Like I said, please share these links in other threads if you can. I am not recommending or supporting these various sites as such, just trying to give people a better chance to see what's going on.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Because (in terms of info) more is always better than less
reply to post by JustMike

Yes! Finally someone who understands. I am a self avowed information junkie. Deny ignorance and all that.
Thanks for the links.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

Perhaps you would like to repeat this to the peoples of Nigeria and India?

Although I imagine they know what you think already.

Hmm, now where did I put those biscuits.

That resource which you would rather kill for, has just got a little bit closer to home (literally) and now the rattle is out of the pram.

[edit on 19/6/2010 by Thistled]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I might also add, if you are going to "play" a stupid us and them game, then why don't you embark on a fact-finding mission to see how many British are in the region (GoM) right now. More than likely, majority are from the US.

Erm, go figure.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I just stumbled across this Matt Simmons interview from June 28, 2010 discussing Methane & Toxic gases in relation to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

I had never heard of this guy before today, but his credentials appear to hold up, and he seems to know what he is talking about.

Very Interesting, and if he's just half right... very disturbing.

This is vid 1 of 6. Interview starts at 8:00.

Interview originally released by TruNews

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
wat an awesome thread
unbelieveble i didnt c it b4 cuz im looking evryday here on ats ,and u posted it 15 days ago
they really hide importan vids well i must say

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Just to elaborate, they shouldn't really take it as a personal attack upon themselves as citizens. It's not like they voted for BP. I really believe its about hating all corporate interests equally, no matter where they are from. Isn't it Beyond Petroleum now anyway?
(Personal Disclosure...I grew up in Britain, half the family lives over there....I love my home)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

so
since i trust u
wat should i be expecting
exept loozing my mind over this cover up??
edit 2 repl to thr guy above me
maybe some didnt vote for bp,just for the people who buy them of

[edit on 3-7-2010 by icecold7]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
For heavens sake people.... BP is a multinational company... USA has big interests in it, as does Obama and his cronies. It's not about pointing fingers at BP, it's about realising that its the OIL industry that's to blame, which includes UK and US interests... BP wouldn't be in the Gulf if the US administration didn't approve it in the first place. Get real... and every action BP took, was backed by Obama and his possie.

Stop venting anger as though BP snuck into the Gulf and did it's work without anyone really knowing what they were up to. Vent your anger at the industry that has, and is, destroying this planet!!

They've messed up big time, and we are ALL going to pay.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join