It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planets in Codex from ca. 1250

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
This drawing from Codex Vindobonensis 2554 (French, ca. 1250), in the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, and shows God the Architect creating the Cosmos.

What I found striking was that the drawing seems to depict planets and stars and the black void of space around a forming mass. This is out of place for me because Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake by authorities in 1600 after the Roman Inquisition found him guilty of heresy for claiming that the universe had infiniete number of heavenly bodies, and Galileo Galilei first observed planets with his telescope in 1610.

My question is; how can a christian codex from ca. 1250 depict things that science did not discover until another 350 years? If indeed these are planets being depicted?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/8c9ef1b02b3d3191.jpg[/atsimg]
Source: WikiPedia - God the Architect

Science, and particularly geometry and astronomy/astrology, was linked directly to the divine for most medieval scholars. The compass in this 13th century manuscript is a symbol of God's act of Creation. God has created the universe after geometric and harmonic principles, to seek these principles was therefore to seek and worship God.
Title: God as Architect/Builder/Geometer/Craftsman
Style: Gothic
Date: mid-13th C.
Codex Vindobonensis 2554 (French, ca. 1250), in the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek.

Edit: Added larger image with more detail

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Acharya]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
To me it looks like creating an expanding sphere of space, much like the ballon analogy for the universe.

As for how it was depicted, artistic license?, Good guess?, divine revelation? not sure you can get an answer on that.

Also I don't see why you mention the first two instances, and how they relate to the codex exactly, are you are suggesting that the church wouldn't allow such depictions?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
interesting!!

I believe that they knew a lot from ancient texts from civilizations before them, or even their own studies that couldnt be revealed to the public, because they would be killed

but I mean, watch Ancient Aliens, the Egyptians had a lot of knowledge and they were a lot more old than originally believed ... and many other civilizations had a very good knowlege of space, so, who knows .. a lot of possibilities

but interesting ...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Very interesting picture.

It's curious that the 'creation' kind of resembles one of those fractal pictures.

I think it's pretty clear that we knew about the planets a long time before any of these dates mentioned. However, if it didn't fit with the dogma of the religious powers at the time then i think knowledge was dumbed down.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

It's curious that the 'creation' kind of resembles one of those fractal pictures.
I instantly thought the same thing.

EDIT:

[edit on 13/6/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Good find.

I think we likely knew alot about the universe and planets but as the church grew the knowledge was surpressed to fit in with their beliefs.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
To me it looks like creating an expanding sphere of space, much like the ballon analogy for the universe.

As for how it was depicted, artistic license?, Good guess?, divine revelation? not sure you can get an answer on that.

Also I don't see why you mention the first two instances, and how they relate to the codex exactly, are you are suggesting that the church wouldn't allow such depictions?

I mentioned Giordano Bruno and Galileo Galilei because they were the fathers of modern natural science of astronomy, how can an aritst draw something 350 years before scientists discover it?. Its the equivalent of an artist drawing a jumbo jet in the 1560's, 350 years before anyone knew of airplanes.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Looks like the time is 11:11
-second line

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I found an even larger image of the drawing with more detail, and added it to the original post.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/8c9ef1b02b3d3191.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The impression of a fractal also occurred to me. The image also bears a resemblance to an amethyst geode.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04a04e5fd00a.jpg[/atsimg]

Photo Source

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoneGrey
The impression of a fractal also occurred to me. The image also bears a resemblance to an amethyst geode.
Photo Source

Fractal theory
Fractals were first discovered in 1872, thats 622 years after the codex drawing, so it can't be a fractal that is being depicted.

Amethyst geode theory
The outher shelling resembles a amethyst geode, but none of the masses that are inside the drawing is part of a amethyst geode, I therefore conclude that it is not a amethyst geode being depicted.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
www.ufodigest.com...

"The researcher was astounded when he saw the image of Uranus transmitted by Voyager Two in the January of 1986. The Sumerian description of the planet - mash.sig - meaning "bright greenish"- almost matched the greenish blue picture of Uranus on his TV screen. Sitchin's translation of the Sumerian expression "hum.ba" read: "marsh plants." He believes it indicates the presence of hot semi-liquid material that was discovered on Neptune three years later. The Sumerian regarded Uranus as Neptune's twin brother. Data gathered by the probe seemed to confirm the point. Not unlike Uranus, Neptune's color is bright blue, the planet has a strong magnetic field, a hot semi-liquid core and plenty of water."

not that i buy sithchen's whole story but the Sumerians shouldn't have had descriptions for any of the outer planets at all.
nor should there be old maps showing Antarctica without any ice(1500AD)

the knowledge was supressed
the library of alexandria was burned by xians for a reason
as was all the books of the aztec to ecxept for I think 5 that they missed.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
the knowledge was supressed
the library of alexandria was burned by xians for a reason
as was all the books of the aztec to ecxept for I think 5 that they missed.

Thank you for your feedback. Do you think that the romans plundered the library in ancient Alexandria before they burnt it? Personally I believe that the roman empire (now its just called the Vatican Church) still has much of the most important documents from the library in Alexandria inside their secret Vatican libraries. Just a theory.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Acharya]

top topics

join