It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help for my brother!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Hello everyone. Ever since I have known my older brother since the beginning of time I have always wondered why his last name was different from mine. I have asked my parents multiple times if my older brother was adopted since childhood since his last name is not like mine or the rest of the families and my parents tell me that to change his last name to our last name we would need a lawyer.

So this is where I ask the questions that I hope someone here can help me with. How do you change your last name? What are the requirements, the cost, or forms to fill out to correct a mistake that happened years ago. My brother is scared that it might cost him an arm and a leg to get his last name fixed but im sure there must be a simple process to go through to make it all better. I await your replies.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The only law I am familiar with right off - I was married in Minnesota and wanted to keep my maiden name along with my married last name. We were told that a male or female can change their name to whatever they want when they get married. So we both changed our last names to incorporate my maiden name and my husbands last name. There was a hypen between the two names.

There must be another way to change a last name that is inexpensive and does not require getting married to do so. If I find anything I will let you know.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Thank you for the link LS. I have sent the link to my brother, now to see if he takes responsibility and fix what the system couldn't do on its own. imaginary $tar for you.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Well,know this.

I have friends whose oldest son had his mothers maiden name.

The other children had the fathers last name.

They all had the same mother and father.

The oldest was born before they married.

My step-children always went by my last name.

Only place their birth name is,is through Social Security.

All their diplomas have my last name.

If you have 2 legal documents(such as a diploma)with a name on it then it is legal.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Is this your biological or adopted brother. Most unwed mothers will give their kids their names instead of thier birth fathers in order to avoid being reminded of the torture they went through.

Clearly your parents aren't being straight up with you in regards to this matter.

-I have asked my parents multiple times if my older brother was adopted since childhood since his last name is not like mine or the rest of the families and my parents tell me that to change his last name to our last name we would need a lawyer.-

This part of your post tells and suggests to me that everytime you inquire with your parents as to why your brother doesn't share your last name they aren't answering the question posed but deflecting the question. If they have answered your query then forgive me for questioning your parents. There appears to be more questions then answers.

Anyhow, I hope that y'all are able to get this matter resolved.

Since according to your profile you reside in Texas. Cheque out the following site :

The Texas Vital Statistics Bureau/Texas Department of State Health Services :
www.dshs.state.tx.us...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

-I have asked my parents multiple times if my older brother was adopted since childhood since his last name is not like mine or the rest of the families and my parents tell me that to change his last name to our last name we would need a lawyer.-
www.dshs.state.tx.us...

That is the exact same thing my parents tell me about my brother. He is biologically my brother but my parents also tell me that it was the hospital's fault for my brother having the wrong last name. They also told me that they would need a lawyer to change his name but ever since I gave my brother a link that Lady Skadi provided me he says that its too expense when its actually 129.00$ to submit the paper forms. I smell a conspiracy at my own home already!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Your lucky. It depends on the state. My husband was going to take my last name as his middle name, but you can't do that. Only the female can.

top topics

join