It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helen Ukpabio - videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I've been getting interested lately in the highly controversial Nigerian evangelist Helen Ukpabio...and there's a bunch of videos that I've been thinking might make a good thread.

Thinking how to arrange the stuff, I'm going to start off with some of the canonical, pro-Helen stuff in this first post...and then later whenever I will post more background and more anti-Helen-style videos. (I mean, why start off with critics before you see something on its own terms, is my thought.)

(Well, maybe while I'm here I should quote from the notes accompanying this last vid): "...Religious nut Helen Ukpabio makes these films designed to brainwash people into believing that child witches exist. In truth she makes money of the back of child suffering caused by her videos and preaching. Parents in places such as Nigeria actually believe their children could be witches as a direct result of such videos and do the cruelest things such as burn, kill, bury, maim..."

[edit on 13-6-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Another fine example of human stupidity.

I swear dogs and cats have more sense than humans.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Leaving aside the references (that I haven't posted yet) maintaining that people are getting mistreated as witches owing to all this...if those were just art films made outside of Baltimore...I do think they would have a loyal espresso-drinking cult-film (not religious-cult-film) fan base...They have some good moments in them, from that point of view.

Here is one anti-Helen-Ukpabio video...

Quoting the video's accompanying notes: "Saharatv — July 29, 2009 — Supporters of "witch exorcist" Pastor Helen Akpabio stormed the Calabar Cultural Center today with the intent of disrupting a child's rights conference being sponsored by Stepping Stones Nigeria and the Nigerian Humanist Movement. The crowd of over 150 fanatics stormed into the hall chanting religious slogans and intimidating the small crowd, which they outnumbered by more than 5 to 1. Organizers of the event, and the crowd in general, were insulted and physically assaulted to the point where they were forced to abandon the meeting hall and reassemble outside the grounds of the Cultural Center. The police eventually arrived to disperse the mob and a few hours later the conference continued with a large number of supporters in attendance. "

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

How are the Muslims in Nigeria veiwing this or do they have their own version of insanity with Imams calling for demonic children to be burnt and beheaded?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I think I have seen some articles that would indicate there are Muslims who call for destruction of said Witch-Child #1 here, or Witch-Child #2 there (I will post an actual reference to corroborate that, next time I run across one), but I don't know of a comparable, kinda televangelist, anti-witch Muslim media outreach machine/program like Helen Ukpabio has going on... (That don't mean there isn't such, though, since I'm not in Nigeria. and I am not particularly knowledgeable about it at all...I'm just some fool blundering around on the computer, finding things that make me say "wow" )...

This might be a good time to visit Wikipedia on Helen Ukpabio...I would say their article on her is a good example of the neutral point-of-view technique that Wikipedia ostensibly strives for...

Helen Ukpabio is the founder and head of African Evangelical franchise Liberty Foundation Gospel Ministries based in Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. She caused a dramatic increase of accusations of witchcraft through her Gospel. She was born in the village of Mbente, Imo State, Nigeria and is married to Dr. Elijah Ukpabio. She has three children.

During her early life she was educated at St. George's Catholic School in Falomo, Jinadu Anglican School in Obalende and the Methodist Girls' School in Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State, all in south-eastern Nigeria.

In 1992, Ukpabio founded Liberty Foundation Gospel Ministries with the aim of spreading her often literal interpretations of the Holy Bible to the people of West Africa. The belief most often associated with Mrs. Ukpabio and her organisation is a claim that Satan has the ability to manifest himself in the bodies of children by demonic possession and make them become his servants in the form of 'witches' or 'wizards'.

Exploiting local superstitious beliefs, particularly those related to spiritual or demonic possession or witchcraft, Helen Ukpabio's organisation has grown exponentionally throughout Nigeria and West Africa since its foundation. There are now major Liberty Gospel Churches in Cameroon, Rome and South Africa as well as Nigeria.

Ukpabio has published her views in several books. An example is 'Unveiling The Mysteries of Witchcraft', in which she states that:

If a child under the age of two screams in the night, cries and is always feverish with deteriorating health he or she is a servant of Satan.

A fact not mentioned in the book is that these symptoms are common in young children, especially in areas like Nigeria with poor health and high levels of malaria.

She also produces a number of films to spread the view that children can become possessed by evil spirits through her film production company, Liberty Films, part of the Liberty Foundation Gospel Ministries franchise. The most famous of these is 'End of The Wicked' in which child actors are shown to eat human flesh and murder their parents.

In 2007 an Observer newspaper article claimed Ukpabio and other evangelical pastors were encouraging an upsurge in the numbers of children being accused of witchcraft and being abused and stigmatised by parents and communities as a result. In 2008, it was claimed in Dispatches Saving Africa's Witch Children TV documentary by UK broadcaster Channel 4 that the views that she expresses have led to a massive upsurge in children stigmatised and abandoned by their families in West Africa, particularly in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Both reports followed the activities of two charities, CRARN and Stepping Stones Nigeria, which aimed to look after the children who have been rejected by their parents for displaying what they believed to be signs of witchcraft. In 2009, the Los Angeles Times wrote an article reiterating these accusations.

(The film mentioned as her most famous is the same one excerpted in the third clip of the OP, above, in case that slipped past you...and Stepping Stones was one of the orgs putting on that child's rights conference that was being disrupted by the pro-Helen-Ukpabio visitants, in that first anti-Helen clip, in my last post...)

In this here little vid they show Helen (without naming her, but if you're following along, it's her) starting at 1:45...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
In these next two vids, the part directly addressing Helen Ukpabio starts at about 3:55 into the first one...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Here we have an interview with Helen Ukpabio, conducted by Isioma Madike, dated 5 January 2009...evidently originally for the Lagos Daily Independent but this link is to its appearance on allafrica.com...

No Peace For Witches In Akwa Ibom, Helen Ukpabio Vows

Helen Ukpabio, Evangelist, filmmaker and president of Liberty Gospel Church, Calabar, recently came under heavy attack by a section of the British press. Ukpabio responds to some of the allegations in this interview, saying the attack was sponsored and an attempt to smear her name and ridicule God. She spoke with ISIOMA MADIKE, Head Covers & Investigation. Excerpts:

How did God call you into His service?

Well, it is not something that somebody can really explain. I was a nurse. I didn't know that I could be called. In 1989, I had a vision that actually lasted for two weeks. And after that vision, each time I wanted to pray, I would be caught up in the spirit and the Lord would show me scenes of people and things, especially of witches and how they invaded homes and churches killing people. God said if I would discipline myself and keep myself from worldliness, He would use me to do a great work.

Is conducting deliverance for alleged witches and demon-possessed persons part of the calling?

Yes, God gave me special anointing to cast out demons from people and to deliver witches and their victims. And I have been doing this since 1992 when Liberty Gospel Church started. If Akwa Ibom now says there is no witch in their midst, good for them. As for me, I will make sure that I continue to fight witchcraft in the state until I deliver the witches. If you don't deliver a witch, the family can never be at peace. So, let us deliver the people for heaven's sake. Let us deliver the people who are witches. We should not allow sentiments to come in here, because witchcraft is real. All the native doctors are wizards, and yet Nigerian politicians are consulting them all over the land, lodge them in big hotels in Abuja and elsewhere. How on earth can you bring a witch who does not know anything and put him in Nicon Hilton and Sheraton?

When you go to preach outside Nigeria, I mean in Europe and America, do you conduct deliverance for witches?

Oh, they come out on their own and say to me, "I am a witch." Some will say I did not actually believe in witches until I saw myself doing certain things. And when you ask, "What do you do?" he would say, I do some wicked things. Sometimes, I will use my hand and hit a goat and the goat will die, then I will hear a voice saying to me, you have caused accident." Witches are everywhere. Witchcraft did not begin with Africa. It started long ago but now Africa has become a breeding ground because of superstitious beliefs.

What really is the situation in other lands?

Witchcraft in not only practised in Nigeria. When I went to North Carolina in the United States, there were very many witches. They came to me asking, "Please can you deliver me? Can you deliver me? Please deliver me." But it is worse in other African nations that don't have ministers that actually deal on those things, like Ghana and Cameroun. In Cameroun, witches follow me on the road.

To what extent do people, out of their own, come to you for deliverance from witchcraft?

This happens very often. They even come as far as my house but are always stopped at the gate. A woman from Port Harcourt came to my house in 2004. They stopped her at the gate and I told her to write what the matter was. She wrote there that she was a witch and that the husband wanted to leave her because of this. I wrote back to her, "How do you know you are a witch?" She said that she used to attend witchcraft meetings in her village. She is not from Rivers State but she lives there. I referred her to the church. I told her to attend our deliverance class after which the pastor would arrange deliverance for her. If I want to deliver them one by one like that, I would spend days doing just that. What I do is teach them in the class. I teach one day which will be announced, as that announcement is going on, people that come to the headquarters will tell them and they will come.

It is said that most churches and prayer houses beat, starve, torture and even kill those that come to them for deliverance from the craft. How do you do it in your church?

Most of them know their status such that when you say, "If you are a witch come out, you see them come in their numbers. In August, after we finished the teaching on witchcraft, we conducted deliverance and I said, "If you are a witch come and stand this way. A lot of people came out. I turned to them and prayed and delivered them. So that is what we do. But my moment of joy is always when the people come back to say "I don't attend witchcraft meeting again."

How did you come by the idea of movie production?

It is just my passion. I am preaching against witchcraft, Mammy Water spirit, false prophets and the likes. I have written books on false prophets and false religion. I have up to seven books. It was like my work was not going far and I have no money to go on television. So based on that, we started doing movies. Before now, we used to do powerful drama in our tarry nights.

There have been some negative reports about your work on the Internet of late. One version says your film; End of the Wicked promotes the tagging of children witches.

Certain persons from my state sponsor those things but they and their white collaborators will never succeed because God called and anointed me to preach deliverance to the oppressed and deliver witches in our midst. The film did not tag anybody a witch. The storyline is not even on children nor does it encourage the torture and killing of children as they claim. It only warns parents to beware of the greed in their children as greedy children who receive everything they see from other children at school or the playground can easily be contaminated. The write-ups are products of one man who suddenly said his orphanage is now a refuge home for children accused of witchcraft. He is doing that simply to collect money from people and the West to sustain himself. Unfortunately, he is telling all the lies against one who is simply doing a good job for her people and humanity as has been committed into her hand by God. The man is working with another, a white man who came to Nigeria for his master's degree but decided to dump that for money by smearing the name of a minister of God whose good work is seen by all. They collect a lot of money from government to destroy me but God who sent me is on my side.

The reports say you are one of the richest preachers in the country and Africa and that you make your money from charging exorbitant fees to deliver the witches.

I am a movie producer. So as a movie producer should I be poor? I have over 140 churches. Whoever told them that I could be poor? My wealth has just started. I write a lot of books. I produce music. So why shouldn't I be rich? So I should be wretched, I don't know what they mean by my being wealthy. What people do not like to see is your having a change of raiment. I can tell you vividly six years ago; some Pentecostal pastors were preaching that I made my church members look poor. They said that we looked poor and wretched, just because I had decided that we wouldn't look worldly, but when suddenly, they saw that I built a house, the story changed. Now people say I am the wealthiest. I thank God. Yes it takes a wealthy person to champion such a cause of delivering witchcraft without anybody paying anything. Our members contribute money for transport to our deliverance crusades. I have not charged anybody a dime since we started witchcraft deliverance some 16 years ago. We go there to deliver the people free of charge.

How many witches have you delivered so far?

Without being boastful, I have conducted deliverance for well over 20,000 people on this issue of witchcraft since the church began in 1992. This is done simply through teaching of the Word of God and prayer. We don't use anything, including anointing oil. Anointing oil was necessary when there was no Holy Spirit. With the coming of the Holy Spirit, the church has been endowed with power that can move anything.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
This here clip has some other footage from "The End Of The Wicked"..."I have discovered that our blood bank is drying up..."

This next video, besides having (not-strictly-helpful) Portugeuse subtitles, does not mention Helen Ukpabio even once...and I am including it, not for the early part, with the wounded children, but for the latter part, where they are interviewing a crowd of adults about the witchcraft belief...that's the part that seems more instructive, instructive enough to post, somehow...

This next video shows Dr. Elijah Ukpabio, Helen Ukpabio's husband speaking...

and here are the notes appended under the video...
"People we present you a response from the husband of Apostle Helen Ukpabio;
We discovered that the man is not a man of many words and hardly gives a public
speech as this. So this is to let you know that he has been seriously compelled to
step out and drop these few words in response to the blackmail levelled on the wife
and church! Please follow the contents of this video and others which we would be
bringing your way soon and make your conclusion too. We also urge you to check out
the fact pages of The Truth Portal @ to get the truth behind the whole saga
Happy viewing "

[edit on 6-7-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Here is some current Helen Ukpabio activity...the link is to Leo Igwe's blog on culturekitchen.com...(I am pretty sure that ATS's censor will make hash of the link-name by substituting 'n-word' for the first five letters of 'Nigeria' when it's written lower-case...I don't know what to do about that)...
Nigerian Witch hunter Brings Campaign to Abuja

From September 8 to 12, Nigeria's notorious witchfinder, Helen Ukpabio and her Liberty Gospel Foundation will be organizing a witch hunting session in Abuja, the capital of Nigeria. The session titled Destroying Witchcraft Powers Over: your life, your business, your family, your health, your finances, your academic, your marriage etc. will be held at Liberty Gospel Church International, located at Salasi Multipurpose Hall, Opposite Karu Market, Karu Site, Abuja. The posters announcing the program have been posted throughout Abuja.
The poster also says " Are you a witch? Not sure, victim of witchcraft attacks, influence, torment, affliction and oppression, come for free screening and free deliverance for witches and victims".
It is unfortunate that Helen Ukpabio is taking this campaign of violence and human rights abuses to Nigeria's capital despite local and international concerns. A few days ago, CNN, in its Connect the World, highlighted some of the human rights abuses that were committed in the name of witchcraft in Nigeria. The report was based on serious abuses of children in Helen Ukpabio's home state, Akwa Ibom. Ukpabio claims to be a former witch, initiated when she was a member of a local religious group, the Brotherhood of Cross and Star otherwise known as Olumba Olumba Obuu. Helen claims to have the power to deliver those possessed by witchcraft and to destroy the powers of 'witches and wizard. She has made the deliverance from witchcraft the main focus of her ministry at the Liberty Gospel Church and also her films. The witchcraft ministries of misguided and dark age pastors, like Helen Ukpabio and other self acclaimed men and women of God are to be blamed for the spread of witchcraft related abuses in Nigeria. By bring her witch hunting to Abuja, Helen Ukpabio is set to take this social disease to other parts of the country. Local authorities in Nigeria have refused to take action against the likes of Helen Ukpabio and other pastors who are inciting hatred, torture and abuses of children and vulnerable members of the population in the name witchcraft or deliverance from witchcraft.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I had not previously seen referenced the bit about "Ukpabio claims to be a former witch, initiated when she was a member of a local religious group, the Brotherhood of Cross and Star otherwise known as Olumba Olumba Obuu". I do find that a fascinating bit.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Here then is Wikipedia on Brotherhood of the Cross and Star...I love whole new things I have never heard of before, and this is one, yes yes...

The Brotherhood of the Cross and Star is a Nigeria-based new religious movement. It is based on Christianity but is claimed to have elements of Islam. Followers describe its founder Olumba Olumba Obu as being the "Sole Spiritual Head of the Universe". His son, also called Olumba Olumba Obu, is described as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

The importance and divinity of the movement's leader is reflected in this song:

"Olumba Obu is the King
Great Saviour and a Helper
King of Kings, Lord redeemer is on
Earth among men to dwell."

—Brotherhood of the Cross and Star, Sure Foundation Hymnary (no. 92)

Its followers are known for wearing white robes which they call soutane.They call their churches 'bethels' and are vegan. They fast every Thursday between 6am and 6pm.

It was founded in Calabar, Nigeria in 1956, from what Hackett (1987) describes as the "healing homes" or "prayer houses" variety of Nigerian new religious movements.

And here is the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star website .

[edit on 3-9-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Excellent thread.

I appreciate you posting these but these movies saddened me tremendously. I am shocked that these parents would be so inhumane to their children and horrified that Helen Ukpabio is not screaming from the rooftops that this is child abuse. She isn't following the same God I follow for my God is love.

Helen Ukpabio apparently never read the parts in the Holy Bible where it says you can have faith, hope and all sorts of things but if you do not have love your words are useless. Or the part that says love always protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres. Love never fails. (1 Cor 13)

Colossians 3:14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Matthew 7: 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

this is the exactly the type of person God is referring to in this verse.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LAinhabitant

Thanks for replying...

Yeah, what I think is that, even if Helen believes in witchcraft as a real problem, she could still hang out more with the country people once she has delivered them from witchcraft, in order to make sure that these powerful ideas she has just released don't lead to crazy excesses...I don't think she can really seriously actually maintain that every single mutilated kid in that witch-child-shelter-home Stepping Stones was an actual bona fide witch...(although they were saying she was trying to get the place shut down)...So if she concedes that some of those kids did not deserve the (mutilation et cetera...you saw the vids...YOW!) anti-witch treatment they received, then the question arises "Why isn't she more careful, more determined to ensure that her anti-witch doctrines are correctly applied?"...She gets everybody stirred up, gets paid, then drives or flies off to her charming important movie producer career, and doesn't seem to let it bother her if innocent non-witches get burned alive (or like that) in her wake...

Still, I guess she's getting paid out of the deal, and like they say, "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs"...

I find the whole story extremely interesting...I'm surprised it doesn't get more play in the press...(though there was supposedly that Los Angeles Times article - I got to source that down and put it in the thread eventually)...I only heard of her existence through residual publicity after those British documentary filmmakers got on her case...I wonder if she'll back off from the witch pitch a wee bit when she preaches September 8 through 12 in Abuja...judging from the ad copy Leo Igwe quoted in his blog (a couple posts back) she is sticking to her theory, as it were...

And all the above is of course a charitable interpretation of Helen Ukpabio's business model, i.e. I'm assuming that she actually has the religious beliefs she's getting paid to profess...She could easily not believe in Jesus or the Bible or in witchcraft at all, and just be concerned with raking in the cash off of the sucker populace...

[edit on 7-9-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The woman is evil.

She claims divinity is with her yet her teachings leave a trail of dead and mutilated children.

She must have friends in high places. Why else has she not been prosecuted for committing or illiciting assault?

new topics

top topics

join