It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am sorry to report well is crippled down hole very long read

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Last night in Australia one of our MSM investigative journalist shows 60 minutes showed probably the most disturbing footage of the oil slicks Ive seen yet. Somehow they were granted access over the area from the US Coast Guard. The whole report is pretty horrific to be honest but I was proud to see that our media was atleast showing the public the true extent of how bad this oil disaster really is.

Anyway I must say give this video a watch to see them follow KMs of oil slicks by helicopter its absolutely devastating to see.

video.au.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TankWolf
Last night in Australia one of our MSM investigative journalist shows 60 minutes showed probably the most disturbing footage of the oil slicks Ive seen yet. Somehow they were granted access over the area from the US Coast Guard. The whole report is pretty horrific to be honest but I was proud to see that our media was atleast showing the public the true extent of how bad this oil disaster really is.

Anyway I must say give this video a watch to see them follow KMs of oil slicks by helicopter its absolutely devastating to see.

video.au.msn.com...

Wow. Thank you for the video link TankWolf. This is probably one of the more disturbing and sobering clips of news coverage on this oil disaster that I have seen yet.

And good for your investigative reporter over there for doing the story. It seems that our own investigative reporters over here in the US are just sitting on their hands. We should be seeing coverage like this all over MSM here. They need to be showing the people the truth, the whole truth and gravity of the situation, but sadly they're not.

[edit on 6/14/2010 by sapient]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TankWolf

This ought to be started as a thread due to getting buried... really good video (sad).

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
They must have used a stealth technology to infiltrate and make this reportage.

Or, maybe, Americans don't "deserve" the truth.
How cynical the authorities are!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Please feel free to start a thread with the video link posted. I would of liked to but I have only been a long time lurker and havnt racked up my 20 posts yet. But this video report from our MSM on the Gulf Spill is the most telling Ive seen thus far. This is a tragedy beyond anything anyone can comprehend.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Tankwolf:

I do hope you make a thread with this video.

I think we have been patient enough.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty
Tankwolf:

I do hope you make a thread with this video.

I think we have been patient enough.

Hi sweetliberty,

As explained above I would love to post this in its own thread but Ive only read these forums for a long time and only have recently signed up to start posting. According to ATS rules I cannot start a thread until I have made 20 posts. So I apologize and again say please feel free to post this video in its own thread for me as it really does deserve it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TankWolf

Ah, I see. Thank you for responding. I also see I need more coffee in order to wake myself up more,

Well I must say, you are off to a great start in finding such a video.

And welcome to ATS.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
OP thanks to you (and the ones behind you) for all the information, shared with us.

Of course still a lot of questions remain without answers e.g. as the amount of oil beneath there.
100 million barrels by BP and friends is not the same as a possible 2+ billion barrel. Different scale and I don't want to think if they drilled through a natural oil conduit.

About the hurricanes.
I asked around me, people who should be able to give me an answer, what the impact could be of a hurricane crossing the path of this oil spill. But it seems none really knows.
I am not talking about oil being spit in land but what is going to happen once hurricane meets the oil/methane/BPcrap above the sea.
A hurricane is one big ozon ( O3 ) battery with "high voltage" lightning. O3 loves to give away one of his oxygen atoms to whatever wants to pair with it. With talk about methane, all kind of oil stuff and the crap that BP is dropping around what would be the real impact of it being absorbed by the hurricane and its lightninh.
Anyone has any information or a link about this subject?
Or is this also BP ad US govrn only stuff?

Nid

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

You bring a good question. Would it be possible for lightening to ignite the gasses or oil and create a firestorm?I honestly hope not!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
S&F OP – thank you for bringing this much information to ATS.

I’ve read most of the thread, it’s quite large now. Some say this may be the end for humanity, and it may very well be. Earth will protect herself, but if we can help, we need to do all we can do. Could it also bring benevolent ET’s? I don’t know. Like another said, we need a miracle from God. I believe God will come thru for us as he always does-one way or another. Maybe that would be through ET’s, who knows.

What we do know is this catastrophe has changed our world forever. It will never, never be the same again. The beautiful Gulf will die, the land surrounding the Gulf will also die. The floor may actually collapse. Catastrophe after catastrophe is in the horizon for us, there’s no doubt about it. It will be many years, probably hundreds of years before it can be cleaned away naturally. It’s hard to believe anything we can do on a human level can stop this now and I’ve read many proposals on how to stop this. I have one of my own. I certainly don’t know if it would work or not, or if it’s even feasible, but I believe we have to contain the oil as much as possible. Before it can really begin going in the current affecting all other oceans, is there some way of mitigating the damages?

I’m not an expert in anything that could really bring this about, but my question is can we make temporary or semi-permanent islands from the Florida coast to Cuba? Could they be designed from aircraft carriers, ships, barges, etc. in such a way as to prevent the flow of oil going from the Gulf in to the Atlantic. Could we connect them all the way from coast to coast with any and all kinds of materials, booms, anything that can prevent the flow of oil from going being carried into the Atlantic? We have to keep it contained in the Gulf, as sad as that is, to prevent further damage to the rest of the oceans. If we could do this, it would have to begin NOW.

Can anyone here on ATS elaborate on this or is this just wishful thinking on my part.

One thing I do know is if ever we needed to pray for our earth, this is the time. If we just put down our weapons and concentrate on healing mother earth now, I think we can save her – and us.

peace

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gutterpus

Unfortunately, I don't think your idea is feasible. Linking several thousand vessels (all of which must be sea-worthy) up with lengths of boom may stop the oil on the surface from reaching the Atlantic, but as soon as there was a hurricane it would rip the whole thing to pieces and would not stop the vast plumes of oils that are spreading out below the surface.

Also, to address one of the other ideas floated earlier in the thread - namely the idea of sinking metal cages and filling them with sandbags - as mentioned in the OP, blocking off the well-head would merely cause the pressure to back-up and cause the oil to escape into the surrounding rock. That is even assuming that a seal could be made, which I am not convinced of. We have already seen video from ROVs showing gouts of oil coming from cracks in the sea-floor.

I don't believe that this situation is intentional. This is the deepest high-pressure well that has been drilled. The US gov. is at a loss as to how to stop the leak, and so are having to rely on the people who caused it, as they do have more expertise in deep water drilling than anyone else. This, however, is not saying much. It's all made much harder because of the depths involved.

There are many common factors between this spill and the worst peace-time oil spill that also occurred in the Gulf of Mexico in 1979. Read this:

The parallels between that disaster and the current BP oil spill offer sobering lessons. There were no quick fixes for Ixtoc: It took 10 months to stop the leak, with Mexico's state-owned oil company, Pemex, trying methods similar to those that BP has attempted at its Deepwater Horizon rig.

Pemex managed to slow the spill a little using several methods including forcing metal spheres into the well. But it couldn't stop the leak until two relief wells were drilled — and even that didn't work right away: the oil kept gushing for another three months after the first well was completed.

In the end, Ixtoc spewed a record 140 million gallons of oil. Massive slicks reached the northern Mexican Gulf coast and Texas, where it would eventually coat almost 170 miles (275 kilometers) of U.S. beaches.

Source

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Oil workers in general are not liars. It is the managment that is lying. Once I delivered a office to a oil worker before the Iraq war. He told me his job was to set up a refinery as fast as possible, as an experiiment. The next time I saw him he was in Iraq getting his head chopped off. He was an honest man, too bad honesty is gone from the top of the ladder.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

Karilla –I kind of figured hurricanes would be problematic and I knew it was wishful thinking. Pulling straws here. There simply has to be a solution somewhere. I can’t imagine what it will be, but I have faith it will happen. I just pray it happens before the oil spreads into the other oceans.

peace

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

When reading this, I wanted to think it couldn't be true, but this guy really sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

IMO this post needs more exposure both inside ATS and outside.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The whole pressure thing is why I think they need to drop a collection dome over the riser. If they can generate enough suction to offset the oil and gas pressure then the thing should almost suck itself to the sea bed.

Then just pile some crap on it to hold it in place. Heck you could even run piping to land so in the long term it would be pretty much permanent. Then even anchor it to the sea floor for longer term.

I am worried about the bottom fill working in a timely manner will all the potential pitfalls such as:

- Will they hit the pipe at all? If so when and how many tries will it take?
- How badly damaged is the well bore and how far down does the damage go? I think they are aiming quite deep with the relief wells for just this reason. They need to intersect it far enough below the damages area for enough mud weight to sit in the pipe to offset the pressure.
- What is the greatest depth at which this has previously been accomplished? It took them 9 months to do it previously at the other well in the GOM at a far shallower depth.

I can't see waiting 2-3 months to see if this will work. Or worse, think of it as waiting another 2-3 to find out it didn't.

At the VERY MINIMUM, you would think that they should be:
- Trying something like this dome/cover/collector thing to collect more from the riser
- They should be drilling as many other relief wells directly into the deposit to try and siphon off the flow pressure as is logistically possible just in case.
- They should have every tanker available that is capable of sucking the oil out of the sea on site doing so a month ago.

Seriously, how much would it cost to try all those things out? 500 million? a billion? who freaking cares at this point. They are in it for more than that already and it will just keep getting worst.

The really sad thing is that is they could use some kind of collector, the solution would probably pay for itself in the short run and for sure in the long run.

I just must not be smart enough to come up with all the reasons why they wouldn't be doing all these things already. The whole thing is really starting to frustrate me.

I am a Project Manager and for the life of me I cannot understand why they don't have 10 different things on the go other than attempts at clean up on the beaches for the media and the two relief wells.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

I have just finished reading your post and have not yet ventured into the thread, but I have to state that the information you have posted for us leaves me aghast. This paints a disaster scenario of almost unimaginable proportions, that will affect life far beyond the confines of the Gulf region.

Thank you for passing this on to us. Heaven only knows where this tragedy may lead.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TankWolf

video.au.msn.com...

Tankwolf, I'm quoting your whole post to hopefully give even more members a chance to see the link you've provided to that 60 Minutes report. It's gut-wrenching, and not just because of the human cost: the images of those pelicans struggling in the oil is going to keep me awake long into the night.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I can envisage how ships could be adapted for clearing up the oil from the surface better than the skimmers that they are using at the moment.

I would have some of the largest tankers sucking up oil and seawater using their cargo pumps, and then docking in relays with large barges, or rafts of barges, loaded with centrifuges for seperating the oil and water. The oil would then be pumped to smaller tankers for transit to a refinery.

I'm not sure why Coster's idea for a centrifuge is being so roundly slated, the idea is hardly novel. I know a guy who recently bought a de-commisioned Royal Navy Fleet Tender. It has huge diesel tanks that suck up sea water as the fuel is used so that the tanks always have the same fluid level in them to act as ballast. The fuel/water mix goes through a centrifuge in the engine room which seperates the fuel before supplying it to the engines.

That's for the clean up. I don't have a clue what could be done about the BOP, and the leak itself, given that oil is already seeping from the sea-floor.

BP and the US gov should definitely be making all the info public domain, and inviting anybody to propose solutions. Surely they must have computer models for the way these depp water well-heads work? If not they should have.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Now I'm starting to understand why the Prez ordered all offshore drilling be ceased. Maybe they need to evaluate how each rig is tapped into the seabed and where. I wouldn't be surprised if after an possible evaluation, some rigs are shut down permanently and any future exploration project be evaluated and approved before it commences, if at all.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join