It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Crop Damage : First Sings of Hydrogen Sulfide Rains from Gulf ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The E.P.A. recently confirmed high levels of Hydrogen Sulfide , Benzene, and Methylene Chloride present in the air in gulf area. The recent tested levels of Hydrogen Sulfide is as high as 1200 P.P.B., accepted levels by E.P.A. 5 to 10 P.P.B. (Makes you wonder why the cleanup effort is going so slow and people are getting sick)

So what effects does exposure to high levels of Hydrogen Sulfide have on crops/plants?
According to the following article www.google.com... =UFYUTIWRKIO8lQf7v8nxDA&usg=AFQjCNFVRK8PCAXNZX_ES1vgJl173t_U8A It will cause leaf lesions leading to defoliation and ultimate death of the crop.

So is this video showing first signs of damage related to high levels of Hydrogen Chloride in rain water ? My god I hope not.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Another gosh darn video! I hate it! I cannot, neither can many of us here, view a video from this computer. Stills please if they mean anything to the topic.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Question: Where did this video originate? We also have seen a few things like this.

I wonder if it's Corexit (spelling?)?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

According to the video near the Mississippi Bottoms.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
No.

The EPA has been detecting low levels of H2S in Venice, around .1ppm. If you have more recent data please provide it. I can find no evidence of levels ever having exceeded 1.2ppm, much less 1,000ppm.

6/8/2010 Hydrogen Sulfide Daily Average 0.100 ppm
6/7/2010 Hydrogen Sulfide Daily Average 0.100 ppm
6/6/2010 Hydrogen Sulfide Daily Average 0.111 ppm
6/5/2010 Hydrogen Sulfide Daily Average 0.174 ppm
6/4/2010 Hydrogen Sulfide Daily Average 0.141 ppm

www.epa.gov...

It is thought that the elevated levels found in early May were not associated with the oil spill since they were only found in Venice, LA.

The lack of similar H2S readings at nearby monitors indicates that the source is unlikely to be from the oil spill and is more likely coming from a source unrelated to the spill.

www.epa.gov...

So is this video showing first signs of damage related to high levels of Hydrogen Chloride in rain water ? My god I hope not.

It's bad enough. We don't need more gloom. And why are you talking about Hydrogen Chloride?

[edit on 6/13/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Dichloromethane (DCM or methylene chloride)

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I hear you Phage. Let's not forget though that this is the same EPA that came out after 9/11 and told us that the air down at ground zero was perfectly ok to breathe.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah , Phage to the rescue; First of all if the EPA would officially disclose those numbers it would be headline news , wouldn't it ? There is no denying that people on oil recovery tugs and locals are getting sick. There is a news blackout on the media having access to these oil recovery workers.

Now if you want to go look at the "official" EPA web site and see what's been officially reported to the public , be my guest.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by L.HAMILTON]

[edit on 13-6-2010 by L.HAMILTON]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON
There is a news blackout on the media having access to these oil recovery workers.

and if there is a news blackout
then there is a EPA blackout as well
ur not gonna get the real numbers
from the EPA no matter where you look.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

But you seem to trust the EPA data since you used it in your OP. Why?

But actually I was wrong.
I relooked. The figures I quoted were ppm, not ppb. oops.
So yes, H2S monitors are detecting H2S at the lowest possible level they can, .1 ppm. That means that the levels are now no higher than that and probably less.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Its inevitable that this would happen....

Marine Life first, then it seeks into the mainland through hurricanes and rain. before you know it....

the lush marshlands and greeneries of the south eastern seabordering states will be no different than the Chinese farmlands turned deserts.

Fox

P.S. this is really really bad. those chemicals can be as bad as throwing salt on farmable land. Nothing will grow there anymore.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Oh well, several hours later and no pictures. Unfair. I think that a thread was recently started about this, videos that cannot be viewed by all should be accompanied by a still photo.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
Oh well, several hours later and no pictures. Unfair. I think that a thread was recently started about this, videos that cannot be viewed by all should be accompanied by a still photo.

I sure as heck don't have the ability to screen shot the video. But I can offer a descriptive... Every living plant life, everything, looks like little drops of something burned the plants, leaving holes almost, like if you sprayed a weed killer on a plant, burning it. It also appears that everywhere there are these "white spots" there is a "white powder" left behind. From the video it's kinda of hard to understand the size of the area but it appears to cover a large area (multiple square miles). There was also video of birds that appears to be slumped hanging out of holes in (man made) bird nests, dead.

I wanted to say something else also, this whole attitude of let's not be doom and gloom is nothing less but the fringes of insanity to me. Note to Non doom gloomers: please post when it is OK to doom and gloom over the current state of affairs in the gulf coast. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I believe we are going to see allot more crop damage identical to this , as time goes on and as the hurricane season fires up.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Outside the doors of my job there are several rose bushes. The leaves are dotted with holes, there is a white fuzzy substance on the underside of the leaves. Before the holes appear there are yellow spots.

At my house, same thing. At my in laws house, same thing.

Yellow spots on leaves are a sign a plant is undergoing a troublesome environmental change. Sometimes this change is caused by pests, but yellow spots usually mean the plant is being deprived of nutrients. This is usually a simple problem which is easy to correct. Use trial and error to diagnose the problem.

A fungal disease, downy mildew (Plasmopara viticola) affects many plants and appears as yellow to white patches on the upper surfaces of older leaves. On the undersides, these areas are covered with white to grayish, cotton-like fungi. These "downy" masses are most often noticed after rain or heavy dew and disappear soon after sunny weather resumes. As the disease progresses leaves may eventually turn crisp and brown and fall off even though the plant has ample water.

I think what is going on with ours here in humid north GA, is downy mildew.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
i will try to update this forum as much as i remember, since it seems i might be a good candidate to test it's validity

i live in the northwest florida region as well as being minutes from the gulf, as well as being a daily gardener

not sure how exactly i could test or measure the air quality other than noticing no birds are dropping dead, but so far all my vegetables are still doing absolutely fine, other than some pesky catepillars, no deformations or leave spots

not sure what to tell you all about louisiana, as i do not live there, but i will try to post here if i notice something abnormal, noteworthy and/or relavent to this thread

but btw, i don't expect to have to do so

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

According to the video news report ; this kind of foliage damage was noticed on trees, weeds along with plants in a large area near the Mississippi River Bottoms..

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Here we go folks, media acknowledgment of high levels of Hydrogen Sulfide in the Gulf area. Phage , you out there..?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

did thay say ,it was the same as swamp gas? because there is no way that it is swamp gas,its a ufo. Seriously though i think the lady at the end of the video said that the levels she recorded were high enough to may cause some ill health. She went on to say that if you are expiriencing health problems you should consider leaving the area. Wow that is concerning if people have to leave. Where are they going to go and how many people will this affect?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

in the video they talk about
benzyne commonly known as swampgas

WHAT?

Benzyne is not swampgas

methane is swampgas

after listening a few times there seems to be a cut in the sound between
benzyne and the rest of the sentence

benzyne c6h4
benzene c6h6