It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vuvuzelas stir online debate at World Cup

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
*waves her hands to disspiate the overpowering clouds of testosterone*

Isn't there a spray for that?

"'Rone-B-Gone Air Freshner"....

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I actually think these have great potential I've already made inquiries into bringing them to various sports event in the US I can tell you there is a lot of money to be made here. Just think of the potential we have the NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, WWE, Boxing not to mention high school events and special occasions.
One note might be a little tiresome but it's just a matter of adding a few holes for new notes.
It's only a matter of time until these are everywhere and I intend to cash in on it, people will love them once they have their hands on them.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Was watching our boys giving the aussies a thrashing last might and god damm was that very annoying indeed.

I hope they get them banned but Im not getting my hopes up high due to Blatter

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Bayer stock should get a boost from this.

Second line...the makers of Exedrin should do well too.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
Bayer stock should get a boost from this.

Second line...the makers of Exedrin should do well too.

Yeah! I just read in my newspaper that ear-plugs were sold out almost everywhere in SA!

Ban the bees!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

I completely agree.... I am an American and I played soccer as a kid; I have made a concerted effort to try and watch the World Cup but turned it off after 30 minutes of listening to the buzz/humm.
It just annoyed me and it so I don't want to watch soccer.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Just watched the Dutch game...

Van Persie made a gesture towards the referee that he couldn't hear the whistle for off-side due to the noise.... Not sure if he was lying or not...

The buzz was very annoying in the HOLLAND-DENMARK match as well.... kills the atmosphere.

Every match has sounded the same so far...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Its the most annoying thing at a world cup since maradona

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Pianist

I just watch the game on mute, far better than listening to clowns who played footie who know nothing about it, lol.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Here is some good news for all you vuvzela fans:

The great vuvuzela debate looks likely to run well beyond the World Cup final, after organisers yesterday urged international fans to export the horn to their own countries and the Premier League said it would welcome them in England.

South African organisers today mounted a stout defence of the vuvuzela despite the World Cup organising committee's chief executive Danny Jordaan saying he preferred the sound of singing and would continue to monitor the situation.

As one bookmaker began taking bets on which Premier League club would be first to sell vuvuzelas in their team's colours, a spokesman said there was nothing in its rules that would stop supporters taking them into grounds.

Link

[edit on 14/6/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hehe... looks like this guy had the same idea as me. German speakers help me out with it? He puts the fundamental at 233hz, I reckoned it was 232hz...

www.surfpoeten.de...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Fett Pinkus

And that was the matches were those things weren't as annoying as in the other matches. I was really surprised about it
(Too bad that Germany won the match, i would've loved to see Australia win
)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I watched one game at a bar with no sound.. but I could read the commentary about a vuvuzela. Having no idea what that was, I took no notice. The second game I tried (I say tried) to watch from home .. well let's just say I found out what a vuvuzela was.

Personally.. It seems incredibly ignorant. And from what I've gathered it's not even a "tradition" as it's something that started a few years ago. All I can say is that it is NOT a good light for SA, I won't be watching anymore games thats for sure.. and for a country shrouded in somewhat mystery to the rest of the world...

This is not a good glimpse at South Africa.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by Conspiracy Pianist

I just watch the game on mute, far better than listening to clowns who played footie who know nothing about it, lol.

I find if you take the chanting and singing out of Soccer (err.. football) it's not the same. the sport it's self isn't that interesting .. it's the atmosphere of the people that energize the game. Unless you're a diehard football fan I guess.

I feel really bad for the players having to have a constant kazoo type noise blasted at them for apparently no reason what-so-ever except to annoy them.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Ah, the Vuvuzelas, I wish I never would have heard of this instrument.

From what I understand, people who support vuvuzelas say it is apart of South African culture. Any attempts to ban them are seen as "Europeanizing" african tournaments. Is this really a valid arguement though?

These instruments disrupt the matches. Several players have said they have not heard critical calls by teammates. One coach(can find source if necessary) reported that the vuvuzelas start going off at 6 am, disrupting sleep. They have also been noted to cause permanent hearing loss when operating for extended periods of time.

The addition of spreading cold/flu causing germs makes these instruments unnecessary for international play.

I had read suggestions that if South Africans want to use them, they should be able to use them when the South African team plays. However, considering the potential health concerns involved, I cannot understand why they aren't being banned from international play.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The most dangerous thing to the world cup is english using electronic mind control to torture other teams, not that noisy thing that is played at games.

The english plan is too use electronic mind control to destroy other teams, to win.

So what is the bigger danger to the world cup?
andy you need to go away and hide in a cave because everything you say about the english is true , we are coming to get you with our mind control and ray guns.....

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

In American sports they have these things called thundersticks. They are inflatable sticks that sports teams will sometimes distribute to every spectator at a game. The fans make noise by banging the sticks together, but fans generally only use their thundersticks during key moments of the game. Thudnersticks can make the game more dramatic for spectators in the stands or at home.

I am pretty sure there is always one idiot that bangs his thundersticks at the wrong moments, but for the most part people only use the thundersticks at key moments in the match. This is not how South African fans are treating the vuvuzela. There is no rhyme or reason to it, which is why it is annoying. People might think they were great if South African fans were only blowing them at certain moments or if they were playing them musically or in unison.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well I just found a vst plugin to strip out the vuvuzela unfortunately I can't think of anyway of using it live and the processing then encoding etc takes quite a long time.

Shows it is possible to remove it digitally though hopefully the tv stations have better technology than me and work something similar out.

I really hate the things I've actually been messing about for a few hours trying to work out a way of wiping them from what I'm watching which pretty much says it all.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
They say they them to distract the opposing team.

Have they not considered the team they're supporting?

In baseball(when I played), basemen, as well as outfielders and fans, would try and irritate the batter by vocally expressing "Hm-bay, hm-bay, hm-bay---SWING!" upon the pitcher's throw. This wasn't a distraction because the batter was focused on the pitch rather than the background audio. Thius was all done without some mechanical device to amplify their voices.

In golf, officials hold up signs that say "QUIET" while the player addresses the tee.

While chess isn't considered a sport during tournaments it's usually customary to remain quiet so the players can concentrate on the game.

There must be a reason why there are so many riots at soccer games around the world? The reason has got to be is that it's the mentality of the fans. They don't have any respect for the opposing team, their team or each other. If soccer fans were a little more civil and the sport not so boring, maybe I'd consider watching it but I doubt it.

BTW, soccer isn't real football. NFL is! Soccer is just fancy kickball.

[edit on 15/6/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Shows it is possible to remove it digitally though hopefully the tv stations have better technology than me and work something similar out.

Unfortunately this doesn't help the players, coaches or crowds in the stadium.
All we are left with when the vuvuzelas are tuned out is the commentary.

Worst World Cup ever, so far, all because of this 9 year old plastic piece of 'culture'..

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join