It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vuvuzelas stir online debate at World Cup

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

lol, HAARP? bring on the vuvuzela!

Rob Green...I don't even support England and i was pee'd off! No excuse can help him! ...and vuvu's... still suck.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The Vuvuzela should have been banned from the World Cup.... they caused a storm and people were pissed off enough in the Confederations cup.... now we have every match being ruined because of these things.

I like hearing people sing and cheer and play the drums or trumpet or whatever... not a swarm of bees or a 90 minute traffic jam.... These things are really annoying.

On par with these things though is the Ball Fifa chose for this tournament... The Adidas Jabulani.... The most ridiculous ball yet.
The World Cup so far has yet to really take off because these stupid "Floater" balls just go everywhere..... every free-kick, corner... long shot, through-ball... have all been ruined by this crap ball.

I was really looking forward to this tournament but these things are pretty much ruining it so far.....Oh well..... there's always 4 years time.

:shk:

[edit on 13/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I dont see how a blow moulded plastic horn, has anything to do with cultural identity.

these things are modern, and annoying as hell. they said they would ban them for the entire world cup, if only one, is thrown onto the pitch.

we need someone to do this.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Soccer has some of the most annoying fans...chanting, drums, horns, air horns, bells, rioting....but for some reason this horn has crossed the line???

If these vuvuzelas annoy you...well now you know how us non soccer fans feel when we have the unfortunate experience of having to hear you nuts.

I'm kind of kidding...but kind of not...soccer fans have always been annoying...and now they are annoying each other...priceless.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
A Swiss study of the Vuvuzelas .

The horn, made of plastic material shaped like a trumpet, could produce a sound until 127decibel (dB) - higher than the noise of a lawnmower (90dB) and a chainsaw (100 dB).

Continuous exposure to sounds at 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss induced by noise.

When one person is exposed to a sound of 100dB or higher intensity, if the exposure time is longer than 15 minutes may occur in the auditory system injury.

The test results :

Vuvuzela 127 dB (A)
Horn 123.6 dB (A)
Pandeiro 122.2 dB (A)
Whistle judge's 121.8 dB (A)
2 fans singing 121.6 dB (A)
Horn gas 121.4 dB (A)
Bell / cowbell 114.9 dB (A)
Rattle wooden 108.2 dB (A)
Inflatable noise of 99.1 dB (A)

Hear the World

==============================================

British fans might recognise this piece of WW1 paraphernalia, that found its way onto the football terraces after the war .

Mustard Gas alert/rattle
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8ec6140baf45.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
double post

[edit on 13-6-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I haven't seen much of the World Cup so far as i was in Sweden. Now i see my first game (Ghana - Serbia) and i have to say: They're distracting and annoying. First i thought there was a bee swarm around the microphone or something.

I can understand why so many people hate those things. In Germany some Fans have introduced those things some years ago to Soccer and it was immediately banned. Those Vuvuzelas can get pretty loud (I read and article were they said the first Game of World Cup had 130 dB! because of those things) and so they can hurt the people around it.

And i don't think it's fair for all the other Fans who want to Chant and cheer for their team but don't have a chance because those Vuvuzelas destroy everything.
82 Minutes into my first game and i swith the sound off. Can't stand it any longer.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
these horns are terrible for people trying to get into the world cup, like myself.

i understand the popularity of soccer, but in my particular area of the united states noone really cares about it. some of us who know this is the biggest event try watching, and the noise alone keeps me from watching more than 5 minutes.

i refuse to watch with the sound down, im trying to learn players names and strategies and what not, and the noise makes my wife scream at me and my kids run around the house with a fly-swatter looking for the army of bees!

they should be banned IMO, because they make the event less desirable for millions of people watching at home.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will take the advertisers to work out everyone's got their TV on mute when they work this out Fifa might actually be motivated to do something.

I just signed an online petition to ban them and I never do things like that it's at over 50,000 already. I actually haven't watched a match today and I usually wouldn't miss one.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
As a rabid American sports fan who is sort of new to the whole "futbol" game, I have made a real concerted effort to watch this years tourny, to give the World Cup a fair go, and I am trying to keep an open mind.

So yesterday USA vs England I had some friends over, cooked some food on the grille, popped a few cold ones - hot d**n we are gonna watch the World Cup and see what all of the fuss is about!

By the end of the first half, two people were fast asleep in front of the tv snoring like mad, two others were outside playing with the dog having lost interest, and I forced myself to spend 90 minutes watching what I could term as one of the most mind numbingly boring events I have ever witnessed.

Like watching snails fornicate.

And the vuvuzelas made what was already a slow moving, uninteresting event almost unbearable. Like trying to watch a sporting event while being swarmed by 1 million house flies. The sound is enough to drive you mad after a while, I can imagine being in a stadium with 40,000 people making that awful sound would be enough to drive you to murder.

No offense or disrespect intended here to fans of the game as Im sure it all takes getting used to, these are just my own honest observations as an "ignant American" who is trying to understand this sport and culture.

Im going to give it another shot today with the Germany/Aussie game, maybe I will have better luck this time around.

Maybe I just needed more beer.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I got to say.

Its annoying as all hell.

Watching one of these World Cup games is like having 100,000 black fly's flying around your head.

I have actually thought about turning the sound off to watch the game. 2 hours of that noise can drive someone nuts.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

It seems to me that our Yankee cousins "get bored" because there isn't a goal being scored every two minutes.

Yes, football can be a low scoring game, but that is part of the tension.

Like yesterday, we're 1-1 with the USA and the last 20 minutes I was almsot biting through my fingertips to the bone, willing England to score a goal.

As for slow-moving, I am not so sure about that.

It is one of the fastest moving games around, much quicker than Rugby and a damned site quicker than American Football, which when I have seen a game appears to be mainly adverts interspersed with the occasional "play", switch teams around as the brutes can't defend AND attack, then have some more adverts, until at some point several hours later, the game ends...

It's a shame Americans dont show more interest, it's one of the most accessable and popular games on the planet and your national team is very good, some of your players ply their trade in top leagues in Europe.

Something I have noticed about American sports is that they are high-scoring and nearly always go down to the wire with someone needing "one more point" in the dying seconds.

Also, when "soccer" went to the US after 1994 with the start of the MLS, there was alot of confusion over the concept of a "draw". This seemed completely alien to Americans! In their eyes, someone had to win! For the initiated, a draw can be as good a game as a 9-0 thrashing (which does happen too!).

I think you should give it a chance and learn the game. There is a reason it is the single, most popular sport on the planet!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Militarized police departments should consider using the horns from hell as sonic weapons. They are not only inexpensive compared to the hi-tech sonic weapons they now use, they will clear out an area so fast that they do not have to worry about groups congregating and rioting. Since the first game in Eastern time airs at 7:30 AM, waking up to that noise is literally torture. Thanks, but no thanks.

Maybe the real reason for this sonic weapon is because the organizers have had a difficult time filling up the stadiums with real soccer fans. Without these horns, the place would be dead quiet. Did you see the empty seats in the opening ceremony? And the excuse they used was traffic.

As for the comments about the ball, the reason for the wild and high shots could also be that South Africa lies well above sea level and the air is less dense than at sea level. For example, Johannesburg is about 1750 meters above sea level, which would give the ball a lot more lift than if it was at sea level.

As an analogy, Coors Field in Denver, which is approximately 1600 meters above sea level, has seen more home runs in one season than any other stadium in the history of baseball

"The altitude of Coors distorts baseball in ways that could not have been foreseen. For example, a home run ball that flies 400 feet at sea level would travel 430 feet in this ballpark. In 1999, Coors became the most prolific offensive ballpark ever created. The Rockies and their opponents combined for 303 homeruns, the most ever in a season at one stadium with one or more tenants."

www.baseball-statistics.com...

Obviously, the ball was not designed to compensate for the geography and by all appearances, it appears it was designed to get more lift. Just another screw up from an organization (FIFA) who couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I don't know, it wasn't a great game but the first game of a world cup generally isn't for most teams. There didn't seem to be any fluency by either side with far too many passes going astray and little real creativity. Certainly not the game i'd show anyone looking to get interested in football.

We'll be a different side once Barry gets back. Gerrard will be free to play up just behind Rooney and Lampard can play his usual role in midfield. Hopefully that'll stop us just bypassing the midfield and lumping it up to Heskey.

As for the Vuvuzelas, yeah they're a bit annoying. I like to hear the crowd when I watch football as their reactions to events seems to add something to the atmosphere which the constant drone of those horns doesn't. Some girl had one on the train I was on yesterday and by the time we got to Stevenage (from London) everyone in the carriage was just about ready to make it a permanent fixture of her lower intestine. I can't imagine how annoying they'd be in a stadium with thousands blowing them.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

You know when I was watching the game, I was wondering what the American viewers would make of it all. In all fairness, it was a terrible game. Neither side showed any composure on the ball and there was little in the way of real attacking play. Englands big stars under performed and the Americans put up a decent fight and probably deserved draw.

Even though it was a terrible game, i was glued to the match riding the usual wave of emotions that come along with supporting England.

Its a shame you yanks dont really get it. as Stu mentioned it is one of the most easy accesable games in the world. It is a great thing when travelling abroad as almost all nations love football so people can always find some common ground. All you need is a ball and jumpers for goal posts

There is a saying here in the UK to never trust a man who say's they dont like football

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I never understand the "Hate" for football from americans.
I mean americans have the (in my oppinion) two most boring Sports in the world:
Baseball - Really, what's the point of it? The game is so long, boring, not much going on....i have a picture a friend sent me from a MLB Game and you see the bored-to-death crowd, there's a girl knitting! You'd never see something like that at a Football game

Basketball - It's so booooooooooooooring. Yeah, they jump around like monkeys, great. But all the "don't touch me"-Bull# destroys it. No real Fouls, no real contact, no hate, no nothing, just stupid running from left to right, right to left and repeat. Because there are no contacts and everything is a foul, teams really scored after another until it's the end of the quarter.
And then they complain about Football? Really? Americans just don't have any clue about Sports, there i said it.

And you know what's the biggest problem of the so called american sports fans is? They sit on their asses all the time, they sit there and don't do anything.
I like Hockey, i love the NHL, i watch a lot of games, was a lot of time at games there and it was always the sames: They sit on their big asses, eat junk food, drink beer and do nothing else. Some talk about their work, some talk about other #. They only time there is a bit of cheering is directly after a goal - for 10 seconds than it's back to silence. I mean there's more party going on at a funeral than at an american sport event.

But that's half the fun of sport games: The Fans, being around them, the cheering, the chants, all that stuff.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Can't resist saying this, but as a Liverpool fan I'm used to constant noise throughout the game, which may be why I'm not so bothered by it

YNWA

+1

When you watch Liverpool play at home the atmosphere is unreal

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

As a rabid American sports fan who is sort of new to the whole "futbol" game, I have made a real concerted effort to watch this years tourny, to give the World Cup a fair go, and I am trying to keep an open mind.

So yesterday USA vs England I had some friends over, cooked some food on the grille, popped a few cold ones - hot d**n we are gonna watch the World Cup and see what all of the fuss is about!

By the end of the first half, two people were fast asleep in front of the tv snoring like mad, two others were outside playing with the dog having lost interest, and I forced myself to spend 90 minutes watching what I could term as one of the most mind numbingly boring events I have ever witnessed.

Like watching snails fornicate.

And the vuvuzelas made what was already a slow moving, uninteresting event almost unbearable. Like trying to watch a sporting event while being swarmed by 1 million house flies. The sound is enough to drive you mad after a while, I can imagine being in a stadium with 40,000 people making that awful sound would be enough to drive you to murder.

No offense or disrespect intended here to fans of the game as Im sure it all takes getting used to, these are just my own honest observations as an "ignant American" who is trying to understand this sport and culture.

Im going to give it another shot today with the Germany/Aussie game, maybe I will have better luck this time around.

Maybe I just needed more beer.

I thought you do have Uefa Champions league at ESPN right? try that or watch the Premier League, that is pretty far from a snail game..
And i won't put your last hope on Germany, they usually just play for the points, if want to see flamboyant football, watch Brazil, Spain and needless to say Holland:

p.s England has so many potential, what is this Capello thinking with his keepers, not very subtle of him playing around with them..and what happened with Walcott and Carrick?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

**whispers quietly**

Do you think it is because they are not "number 1", so they feign disinterest?

There, I said it.....

[edit on 13/6/10 by stumason]

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join