It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vuvuzelas stir online debate at World Cup

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
A pundit on the radio made a great point the other day when they were talking about the ball. adidas pointed out that the ball had been tested by being kicked by a machine thousands of times and put in a wind tunnel. The pundit suggested maybe just giving the ball to a goalkeeper and centre forward and let them give a review.

The only player i've seen come out in support of it is frank lampard..call me a cynic but i wander if that has anything to do with his multimillion pound contract with the manufacturer's.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm enjoying it - and unusually it seems - I like the noise, because its indicative that the stadium is alive.

Me, I hate the fact that the england band plays "the great escape" constantly throughout England games.

The suggestion that these things are killing the atmosphere is way off the beam, yesterday you could hear the England fans, and the Nigeria fans earlier in the day were WAY louder, almost sucking the ball towards the net.

World Cup
gotta love it.

And I agree with Stu about the England game - it was 1-1 in the end but England played better.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

World Cup
gotta love it.

And I agree with Stu about the England game - it was 1-1 in the end but England played better.

You're not biased are you? I must admit I was surprised by the USA team, they performed better than I thought they would.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just a few questions if i may?

Would the stadiums act as a form of speaker directing the sound up?
With these instruments is there any specific tone that isnt found from anything else? Or anything odd?
Anyone?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Just a few questions if i may?

Would the stadiums act as a form of speaker directing the sound up?
With these instruments is there any specific tone that isnt found from anything else? Or anything odd?
Anyone?

Jazz, I'm actually going to take a look at that right now. Just need to find an audio sample of it..

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I'm enjoying it - and unusually it seems - I like the noise, because its indicative that the stadium is alive.

I wouldn't mind it if the pitch changed or something, but is 90 minutes of the same tone, on and on....

Gets boring really quickly.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I wouldn't mind it if the pitch changed or something, but is 90 minutes of the same tone, on and on....

As does 90 minutes of the Great Escape, and "rat tat tata ta tata tat tat ENGLAND!"

Its all good really though - the Vuvu's will be the "trademark" of the 2010 world cup, and I think they hark back to the days of rattles etc.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
vuvuzelas are quiet anoying.

my ears are rining, they follewed me into my sleep.

just read a german article in der spiegel
that SA WC-boss danny jordaan might ban the vuvuzelas.
some of the players complained about the ongoing noise of the vuvuzelas, as the french captain Patrice Evra who was quoted "we couldn.t communicate on the turf"

argentina. messi claimed that it is impossible to became understood by his team when feeling deaf.

german tv-stations get angry calls by audience.

guess they will take this seriously since the tv-stations are paying a lot of money.
and i will be happy since i am not able to understand the moderator when turning the volume that low that the vuvuzelas can.t be heard anymore.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yes just like stukka dive bombers are a trademark of world war 2 and they have a lot in common well same annoying whine anyway.

I'm hopeful they get banned there have already been a few player complaints about them Patrice Evra also said they kept him up all night and contributed to a poor performance.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Can't resist saying this, but as a Liverpool fan I'm used to constant noise throughout the game, which may be why I'm not so bothered by it

YNWA

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
At last ... the World Cup organisers seem to have noticed the disenchantment of the viewers ...

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters. The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games. And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes. "We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

And the players are complaining too ... that the noise is affecting their game (novel excuse, that one ... wonder if explains the English goalkeeper last night !)

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless. He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am. "We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

BBC Sport

Feel so sorry for those viewers who have invested their hard earned in new televisions & sound systems ... what a waste ! Let's hope these devilish instruments are banned, with the first offender after the ban being dragged onto the pitch and suitably punished, electric cattle prod to his downstairs department would suffice.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Ok folks, here an analysis of the horns... here's a spectral graph of a short burst of it which is what the guys in this video were using for experiments measuring how loud it is and the effect on hearing..

img155.imageshack.us...

The first burst of the horn when it's blown into is pretty much noise, much like a trumpet before the embouchure starts to vibrate correctly to make the sound. After that, lots of low to mid frequency energy there.

img534.imageshack.us...

Interesting peak around 12khz. Interestingly enough, the sound really changes over the course of a persons breath as they blow into it. It seems to become quite ordered overtone wise in the middle phase for as long as they can before the person runs out of breath. The first harmonic is at 232hz (around A#3) but the second harmonic is stronger. I think this is a characteristic of trumpets, but I can't remember

There's some stuff on trumpet harmonics here:
www.phys.unsw.edu.au...
hendrix2.uoregon.edu...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Addendum to the above: the first post I put in this thread, about a notch filter... sticking one around that second harmonic helps a lot, but it's damn hard to get rid of it all!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

B flat.

I hate it i hate it i hate it makeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstop.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I hate the noise of these bloody Vuvuzelas while watching the cup on TV.

It sounds like a giant swarm of insects from hell through the loudspeaker system in my livingroom.

I have absolutely nothing against local culture and noises in any forms during events like the World Cup, but these bloody horns are so many and their dull one tone torturing sound of mosquitos on crack are driving me frikkin' nuts.

I wouldn't mind if they just used them after the goals, but this is too much!

I have never experienced a more annoying sound during World Cup matches in my liftime of watching, I feel very sorry for the players on the field!

Sorry for the rant and to be such a party-pooper! but this is making me insane.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
The reason for these stupid horns (and the games in SA) are the same.

Kissing SA's butt for politically correct reasons.

If you are white and hate the horns, naturally you are racist.

Why are we being beaten over the head about "apartheid" in the commercials? Why all the crap with two super commie's Tutu and Mandella? Ok. Dutch are bad. Black SA's are good fine.

We can see how great a job the ANC has done there. Murder, rape, aids. All signs of a wonderful place.

I'd love to see a billboard showing an Afrikaaner walking away with the caption "Miss me yet?".

FIFA is being ran by a self-serving swiss POS. This dude has no love of THE game in my opinion.

If Holland (I"m backing Deutschland myself) was to win the cup, it will cause MASSIVE uproar in SA. Murder and rape of the white Afrikaaners will dwarf anything to date. They would have to throw the game.

The ONLY good thing about the games being in SA....

FIFA is loosing it's ass! When have you ever been able to get tickets for the FINAL game this far along? I guarantee you that the stadiums are being stuffed with people off of the street!

FIFA is killing the "beautiful game".

This is utterly nonsense and says more about your knowledge of football and South Africa then the situation there.Not only do we have an Ajax franchise over there, the trainers from the Orland Pirates, Kaizer Chiefs and Capetown Ajax are usually Dutch.The SA team captain Pienaar was brought up in Amsterdam and trained over here, he still is a good friend with Dutch Nigel De Jong, a black midfielder with Suriname origin. The African supporters knows this all very well and respect the game and the players. Besides parts of Johannesburg are not very different then parts of Los Angeles.Places like capetown a very nice to stay, in fact i can actually live there.
About the vuvuzela, i got used to it after the confederations cup, and its an African thing.. Training should be behind closed doors[and for alot of other reasons]...but its too bad you can't hear the singing, although the English did pretty well. Its too bad we dont have the flu alarm anymore, then the vuvuzela's could have been banned yesterday

The waiting is for Holland, Portugal Brazil and Spain because so far the game was hurting my eyes..

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

B flat.

I hate it i hate it i hate it makeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstop.

Heh yes, A#, Bb

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Vuvuzela's, ban them!!!

So damn annoying..if i had a bullet for each idiot that blows it.

FIFA has said if just one Vuvuzela drops onto any pitch during the world cup they will be outright banned for every game.

Someone throw one!!

You can barely hear the chants and songs because of the constant noise.

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The most dangerous thing to the world cup is english using electronic mind control to torture other teams, not that noisy thing that is played at games.

The english plan is too use electronic mind control to destroy other teams, to win.

So what is the bigger danger to the world cup?

Andy ...... seek out help.

Your attempts to shoehorn the subjects of the English and Mind-control into literally every discussion here on ATS - makes me fear for your sanity Andy1033 .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

......english using electronic mind control to torture other teams

Maybe .......eh !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vuvuzelas .......

I could listen to a little drumming and chanting ..... something S.Africa is also synonymous with .......

=============================================

[edit on 13-6-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Stupid comment.

I am Safrican and support the Netherlands, always have. To think if the Dutch would win The cup the black Safricans would be pissed ain't on. All Safricans would be sad when we exit the cup, against any team.

I have been wearing my Netherlands jacket and beeny for many weeks and not once have i been verbally attacked by any black here...and i am white...so?

Hope the Oranje's kick butt tomorrow.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join