It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vuvuzelas stir online debate at World Cup

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I am like many others a football/soccer fan. Enjoyin the world cup at the moment but yes the horns are annoying, yes they can put the players off their playing ability. But it bugs me that some plays are getting paid up to 150k a week, i know if i was paying someone that much id expect them to be able to play in most atmospheres.

In the end though the horns are annoying

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
worst world cup so far! Those vuvuzelas are nothing more than mindless noice, where's the fun?

Had to turn UK-usa game off because of that horrible noise, doubt i am going to watch any more of these games.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Oh come on people, the world cup is in South Africa, they celebrate their country through music, its not as if they have brought their instruments with them in to another country and trying to force their ideals on to it. We should respect their traditions and get on watching a fantastic few weeks of top class football.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
the world cup is in South Africa, they celebrate their country through music

you call that noise music? Seriously?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

...the world cup is in South Africa, they celebrate their country through music.

That drone is not melodic, nor rhythmical; it has nothing to do with music imo.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Without a doubt, I find those vuvu things awful. The sound is how I would imagine having a buzzing insect hatch its young in my ears. Would much rather be able to listen to the 'oohs and aahs' of the crowd full blast but its practically on mute at the mo'.

Yes, I'm sure I would feel differently if I were actually there in SA.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

...the world cup is in South Africa, they celebrate their country through music.

That drone is not melodic, nor rhythmical; it has nothing to do with music imo.

To be honest, I agree with this. It has more in common with a torture technique..

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Exciting development! Some photographic evidence from the match last night has come to light! Here we see John Terry being distracted by the vuvuzelas, or perhaps being hit by some nefarious mind control..

i.imgur.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by raivo
Had to turn UK-usa game off because of that horrible noise,

I will just point out it wasn't the UK playing, it was England. Big difference.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by J.Clear

Oh my, he looks a bit.....camp!

I'm sure there are some other great stills out there too, I can think of Crouch's face just after he was subbed on and went for a header, he looked like he had really dazed himself and didn't know what was going on. Most amusing...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

sorry mate.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Yes these horns have been annoying me like mad since about 20 minutes into the first match onwards it actually makes me wish it was being held anywhere but South Africa.

Why can't the TV coverage remove them surely all they have to do is play a reverse sound pattern or something they really are irritating and ruining the Tournament.

Lots of people I talk to are also of the same opinion.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by raivo

Just saving you from any rampaging Scotsmen that might be about today.

They don't take too kindly to the UK being called England or vice versa...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Ouch. Various newspaper headlines for poor Rob: "Hand Of Clod", "Tainted Glove", "Green Fingers"... it's pun time!

On another note, in the supposedly "weak" Nigeria team yesterday, the keeper had an absolute cracker. Man of the match, unreal performance. Heh, he's also their penalty taker and has scored more goals last season than Emile Heskey!

And you have to admit this is a great photo:
farm5.static.flickr.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by raivo
worst world cup so far! Those vuvuzelas are nothing more than mindless noice, where's the fun?

Had to turn UK-usa game off because of that horrible noise, doubt i am going to watch any more of these games.

If only they were the teams. At least we could have played craig bellamy then.

Another thing I'm finding annoying about this world cup is the awful ball FIFA have obviously been paid a ridiculous amount of money by adidas to use. I watched the argentina/nigeria game yesterday and it definitely seemed to take away from the game's potential. The pace seemed slower as players struggled to get the ball under control and there just seemed to be too much bounce on it...as displayed when the ball wouldn't sit for kala uche. some players have even described the ball as playing with a beach ball.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by J.Clear

Don;t get me wrong, I never said that Nigeria were "weak", just "weaker than the US", which they are.

I am pretty sure there are 300 year old oaks who've scored more goals than that great donkey, Heskey...

I said to my step-son last night when he asked "What does Heskey do?", his sole purpose on the England team is to have the ball bounce off him for Rooney to run onto...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Ok, that's fair enough... heh, bounce off him is the word alright. Looks like a ban might be coming for the horns..

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'll agree the ball seems a bit dodgy myself every time someone takes a shot at goal so far they end up sky rocketing it, far to many already for it to be a coincidence I suspect the light ball is what gave green his nightmare moment.

Of course it's early days and hopefully the players adjust to it and we get some great goals but it's nothing unusual they tend to mess with the ball every big tournament.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by J.Clear

Oh, I hope so... We're watching the ALG - SLOV game here at work atm and yet again, the constant din of the monotone buzz is pervasive.

How anyone can claim it is "musicial" is beyond me. It's like claiming that this text I am typing is 3 dimensional, despite not fitting the definition...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

I am not so sure it's the weight that is an issue, as balls need to fit rather strict criteria for that sort of thing. It's the way it's designed to flow through the air and I think thats why we are seeing it lift off all the time.

www.soccerballworld.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join