It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vuvuzelas stir online debate at World Cup

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Vuvuzelas stir online debate at World Cup

www.google.com

You either love them or you hate them and the vuvuzela is stirring up some impassioned debate on Facebook, YouTube and other sites online.
[...]
Studies have also shown they contribute to the spread of cold and flu germs.

It appears the trumpets have also hurt the sensibilities of some foreign players, who have lobbied for it to be outlawed, claiming it affects their concentration.

The drone has also attracted plenty of disparaging comments online.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abs-cbnnews.com
www.google.com
www.freep.com

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
As more games are being played, more people become familiar with the buzz of the Vuvuzela's, which covers the stadium ambience with a constant blanket drone. Overpowering the crowd's cheers, drums or singing, this 90 minute buzz is quickly becoming a heated topic.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has apparently given them his blessing, blasting the detractors by telling them "Africa is about dance and music and moaning about the instrument bordered on discrimination."

But there's nothing rhythmical or melodic about this drone.

Many people worldwide, fear these horns will singlehandedly ruin the World Cup. I tend to agree, and I wonder if South Africa will end up with a bad rep, and if that's worth it - or (puts on tinfoil hat) part of 'the plan'?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It's not racist to say you want these things banned ; they're hugely irritating to tv viewers. I'm viewing the matches with the tv volume off, whilst listening to the radio commentary (where the noise is less apparent).

I've heard people saying the constant drone is making them nauseous or giving them headaches. Switching off the volume appears to be the only cure.

Quite an effective weapon, these things would be. Listen to that racket for more than a few hours and you'd go mad.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The sound I would like to hear is moaning from the people who are blowing those things, while they are being shoved up their rear ends. Only two days in, and those devices have already succeeded in destroying the viewing experience for the fan.

Racism? These things have the potential of causing permanent hearing damage for a multitude of people and this FIFA jackass is playing the racism card?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

In 2001, South Africa-based company Masincedane Sport began to mass-produce a plastic version.[13][14] Neil van Schalkwyk, the co-owner of Masincedane Sport, won the SAB KickStart Award in 2001.[15] Vuvuzelas have been said to be based on kudu horn instruments and thus rooted in African history, but this is disputed.[16][13] During the last quarter of a match, supporters blow vuvuzelas frantically in an attempt to "kill off" their opponents.[17][18]
en.wikipedia.org...

The supposed cultural history of these plastic horns is disputed, and so I'm not sure why FIFA is pulling the race card other than to create more controversy.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Watched the second half of the US-England game and those darn things were annoying!!!
Sounded like a stadium full of mutant giant ticked off mosquitoes.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My ears are still ringing from watching the opening game ... the things are very irritating. Worst of all, some of my colleagues have been blowing them at random times during office hours - totally destroys my concentration.
Managers have been turning a blind eye (ear?) to it all because of WC spirit.

But. It is a huge cultural thing here in SA with soccer being mostly watched by blacks. Much like the Mexican Wave.You even get a plastic vuvzela shaped like a kudu horn.

On a brighter note, the spirit and vibe here is incredible.

South Africa rocks!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The reason for these stupid horns (and the games in SA) are the same.

Kissing SA's butt for politically correct reasons.

If you are white and hate the horns, naturally you are racist.

Why are we being beaten over the head about "apartheid" in the commercials? Why all the crap with two super commie's Tutu and Mandella? Ok. Dutch are bad. Black SA's are good fine.

We can see how great a job the ANC has done there. Murder, rape, aids. All signs of a wonderful place.

I'd love to see a billboard showing an Afrikaaner walking away with the caption "Miss me yet?".

FIFA is being ran by a self-serving swiss POS. This dude has no love of THE game in my opinion.

If Holland (I"m backing Deutschland myself) was to win the cup, it will cause MASSIVE uproar in SA. Murder and rape of the white Afrikaaners will dwarf anything to date. They would have to throw the game.

The ONLY good thing about the games being in SA....

FIFA is loosing it's ass! When have you ever been able to get tickets for the FINAL game this far along? I guarantee you that the stadiums are being stuffed with people off of the street!

FIFA is killing the "beautiful game".

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

If Holland (I"m backing Deutschland myself) was to win the cup, it will cause MASSIVE uproar in SA. Murder and rape of the white Afrikaaners will dwarf anything to date. They would have to throw the game.

come on now...nothing like this will take place. Anyway, despite those annoying vuvuzelas I am enjoying World Cup

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm really glad i didnt go to SA to watch live, because having those infernal vuvuzelas constantly going while you are in the crowd would drive me absolutely crazy. I dont think i could get through the Cup without trying to ram one where the sun doesnt shine.

I imagine that its not just at the stadiums either, but these things must blowing all over SA.

During the England - USA game when the vuvuzelas died down you could actually hear some atmosphere, with the English and US fans singing. Thats what football atmosphere is all about, not some ridiculous buzzing.

The best part of the Germany world cup was the atmosphere created by fans, thesinging, the chanting etc. I really do think the vuvuzelas are hurting that.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
These things were driving me absolutely crazy. I have to turn off the sound after a while, it's like a form of torture! I can only imagine what it does to your head actually being there!!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
These vuvuzelas are beyond irritating. You're in front of your tv thinking you will enjoy the game and then comes the noise of these vuvuzelas : you're screwed for about 90 minutes. During each game i've seen thus far i was obliged to turn down the sound and ultimately zap to another channel before the end, without the sound of the crowd it don't feel like a world cup plus i'm not a fanatic of soccer...

If it continues this way the viewing scores will be pretty much flat for the channels.Tradition or not: ban them .

[edit on 13-6-2010 by themaster1]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I've taken my attention away for a little while during games, to make a cup of tea or check some email, and will realise that I'm being massively, massively irritated by something. Then I'll return to the match, turn down the volume and realise it was the horns!! I've been thinking about making a notch filter to target the frequency they're at, they're all pretty much the same.. I might take an audio sample of it later just to tinker with then see if anyone can help me do the same with a live stream.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by J.Clear

I've been thinking about making a notch filter to target the frequency they're at, they're all pretty much the same.. I might take an audio sample of it later just to tinker with then see if anyone can help me do the same with a live stream.

That's not a bad idea, but it doesn't solve the potential problems it creates for the people in the stadium, including the players. It also doesn't suddenly bring out the rest of the atmosphere; it just becomes quiet. This is the frekkin' world cup and here we are watching it with the same amount of sound we can expect from a local chess tournament?

Apparently some players stated that this buzz gets so loud that they can't communicate and it ruins their game. There's no EQ setting on your TV that can make a bad game better...

I'm very curious to see if FIFA will enact some sort of ban or not...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
You're very right, I was only thinking of my own sanity there
but the reason I don't switch off the sound is the same as others here, I miss the crowd sound if it's not there, it's part of the atmosphere and excitement of it.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'll second most of the opinions here in that these bloody horns are irritating!

Has to be said though that the England - USA game last night was impressive in that you could still hear the English fans singing the great escape and the national anthem.

I will also say, for the record, that the USA were LUCKY!. We were all over you guys last night.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I'll second most of the opinions here in that these bloody horns are irritating!

Has to be said though that the England - USA game last night was impressive in that you could still hear the English fans singing the great escape and the national anthem.

I will also say, for the record, that the USA were LUCKY!. We were all over you guys last night.

Were you watching the same second half as me?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I decided to create this image earlier:

The Vuvuzela - Now you too can sound like a Hadeda!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
More info from Wiki:

The vuvuzela came to international attention during the run-up to the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2010 FIFA World Cup, both hosted in South Africa. The world football governing body, FIFA, wanted to ban the use of vuvuzelas during the World Cup 2010 because of concerns that hooligans could use the instrument as a weapon and that businesses could place advertisements on vuvuzelas. However the South African Football Association (SAFA) made a presentation that vuvuzelas were essential for an authentic South African football experience,[2] and FIFA decided in July 2008 to drop the ban, allowing vuvuzelas at Confederations Cup.[20] President of FIFA Sepp Blatter opposed banning the vuvuzela, saying "We should not try to Europeanise an African World Cup."[21] FIFA ultimately decided to allow the instrument for the 2010 World Cup as well,[22] except for Vuvuzelas being longer than one metre.[23]

Some football commentators, players, and international audiences argued against the vuvuzela during the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup. During the match between United States and Italy, BBC Sport commentator Lee Dixon referred to the sounds as "quite irritating". FIFA received complaints from multiple European broadcasters who wanted it banned for the 2010 FIFA World Cup because the sound drowns out the commentators. Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk and Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso also called for a ban, the latter saying the horns make it hard for players to communicate and concentrate while adding nothing to the atmosphere.[21][24] During the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Hyundai and a local South African advertising agency called Jupiter Drawing Room created the largest working vuvuzela in the world — 114 feet (35 m) long — on an unfinished flyover road in Cape Town.[25] The vuvuzela is powered by several air horns attached at the mouth piece end, and it will be blown at the beginning of each of the World Cup matches.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Conspiracy Pianist]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
They were awful at the Confederations Cup, I never thought they'd allow them for the World Cup. It's really surprising that they decided to let it go in the end. Combined with the amount of players out injured, it might make for a pretty forgettable world cup for me..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join