It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The inability to truly know what had happened in our ancient history:* HOW TO FIX THIS*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm sure this debate has been up as a topic before. I've been researching information about mythology. (i'm in a myth class). I would have to say that as a civilization we truly have found out about our past. Vast information has been gathered through text and archeology, science and linguistics. I'm still surprise how much plot holes we still have in our history and I would have to guestimate that it is probably due to time or lost and forgotten information. I truly think by losing our past we have lost ourselves. Human recording is probably the most precious thing we have. I urge everyone in here to write biographies and create multiple copies even going as far as placing them within a bank vault. Or creating a time capsule that will outlast harsh weather.

We are a civilization with vast recording abilities and a attribute that you probably take for granted.

No matter how insignificant you think as yourselves you should always start recording. I don't want to be known for my term paper.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Why would i want to record myself? So that others might some day read on what i have done? If you're life has been that important, to be recorded, you will not record it yourself. There will be people recording it for you.. PFfffff please don't waste you're time on recording yourself, where is you're pride.

Anyway,.. lets say 500 years from, i find 200.000.000 recordings of 200.000.000 persons, i would only choose the records of kings, or any important figure in society,... or not?

Cheers

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I urge everyone in here to write biographies and create multiple copies even going as far as placing them within a bank vault.

I`m just too busy living and i hate paperwork .

If i am to be remembered after i shuffle off this mortal coil - so be it ........ i won`t be spamming the future with my biography.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

S&F. - for the OP has asked a very important question.

Yes. You are quite right. If we want our future generations to know how we lived, wee would have to leave them some records of our life.

May be after a 100o years our descendants will find our records and marvel at what we have done or ,make fun of our primitive technology - but in all means, they will learn of our ways.

But what Medium to record our history and achievements in?

CD/DVD/BR disc electromagnetic storage? No way. In case there is a nuclear war, every nuclear explosion creates Electro Magnetic Pulses which can wipe out complete data off the electromagnetic storage mediums. DVD/CD/BD don't last - they disintegrate.

Maybe, something strong, sturdy and impenetrable to EMPs. Some time-capsules encased in such materials.

We will have to educate ourselves and warn our descendants of the futility of war.
or we will soon fall to a stage when we will have to carve out warnings to our future generations on STONE ITSELF.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Several months ago I skimmed an article about how we are the first generation in the long line of humans to have such an extensive recording of not only our most significant moments of history, both good and bad, but also the must trivial minutia of absolutely no consequence to ourselves much less others.

The catch is that much of it is recorded on media that technology will soon leave in the scrap heap. As @coredrill stated the stuff we are recording on is not permanent, but not only is it not permanent, the technology to read is encompassed in - or falls victim to - Moore's Law.

I do agree with the OP however, the history of who we are, what we do or haven't done, and what we thought along the way is important to the distant generations. If for no other reason than to provide comic relief or a place to point an accusing finger.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I think we need to go back to writing on stone (to tell about our time)...paper work will be lost.

We should create a place to write about the world as it is right now. Huge stone galleries of it.

Also include our findings of history, such as ancient writings that are on scrolls, which will perish in time.

One thing for sure...we should leave behind our knowledge of the Universe/cosmos.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I know what i am going to say is outright .......... (fill in the blanks)

How about taking our records and burying them on the moon?
of course in some type of containers that can withstand EMPs?

As per scientists, in year 2012 we will be seeing the highest peak in solar activity so far. High level of solar activity means large solar flares, large scale Electromagnetic disturbances/pulses. Lets see how that will affect our records on electromagnetic storage media.

Al most all our money in today's world is paperless and is in form of transactions and the details are stored on such electromagnetic storage media. Can you imagine what a naturally occurring EMP or a deliberate attempt to generate an EMP in the vicinity of the server farms ?

For example, if someone deliberately generates an EMP in the vicinity of the storage server farms of Master/Visa, almost all the records will be wiped out. or if they do burst it in places of strategic importance, much more can happen. What if a naturally occurring EMP wave affects the whole word?

SCARY SCENARIO!!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Some of the most interesting people in history are not the famous people but the commoners. We know how the kings queens and warriors lived, I want to know about the simple people, how they did things, what they thought, how they lived.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well,not really sure how your mythology class and studying myths has to do with documenting our pathetically boring lives,but I will let that go.

This maybe though the point when society and what happened during this epoch is lost to future civilizations.

Even something as simple as photographs may not last,because nobody takes real photos and prints them the old way.

The cheap printed photos will fade over time and since there are not even negatives there will be no record of what happened.

Everything and everyone is so dependent on magnetic media and online storage that if something were to happen it would all be gone-forever.

Still not sure what mythology had to do with this thread though.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I'm trying to organise a time capsule for where I work. The plan is to use a large steel flask as a container...around the 3 litre size. It's large enough to contain letters, photos and small objects of interest.

We'll fill 3 USB drives with music, film, images and voice recordings. Hopefully by using 3 usb drives from different manufacturers, there'll be an increased chance of one being readable in the future.

Naturally, there's a high probability that any technology in a time capsule will be dead in the future. We can still play old 78rpm acetate discs so maybe usb drives will still be accessible then too?

SnF in the hope others will have some fun leaving something behind too.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
this is true because now you are fully incapable of knowing the past second, in the future you are; but as thought, that present of not knowing the past second before knowing it as thought "form": means...,

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
man, its worse than you think

a lot of information accepted by the mainstream people are kind of manipulated and many contents are just dis considered, so ... its hard

it looks like people dont want to know our history

watch ancient aliens, very cool .. a lot about history and ancient texts, myths ...

it may be perfect for u

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Actually, I favor paper. It's very sturdy, very long-lived, very simple.

Diaries aren't terribly interesting to the modern writers, but they are a real treasure of information to historians and scientists. They tell us how the family was structured, what common people believed, how those in power treated others, and so forth. When I do my research on the Trinity River, I'm going to hit the state archives for diaries. Stories are far more interesting than data.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

paper? Interesting coming from you Byrd.

I would think stone would be the most long lasting.....

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I have a multitude of recording abilities. One thing for sure I am a list of these things.

1. A good writer, provoker of thought and writer of my own ideology and philosophy.

2. I was forced to learn to type. I have dysgraphia and i've been typing since 5th grade

3. I'm an audio engineer too. I think this is also something that may be more valuable than any other recording. A few things unlike our common bible is that it would be nearly impossible to change what has been recorded. (you can edit it, but you can't change the words on audio)

If you think that you are worthless then why are you living at all? What is the point? The future must learn our civilization. That means our mistakes, promises, hopes, dreams and of course our collective conscience at the time of the 21st century.

Get the facts straight and realize your true potential of creating a positive future for our shattered present.

new topics

top topics

join