It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
Kyrgyzstan's interim government has given security forces shoot-to-kill powers in a bid to stop ethnic fighting which has taken nearly 80 lives.
It also declared a partial mobilisation of the army to combat "destructive forces and criminal elements".
The International Committee of the Red Cross said it had received reports of tens of thousands people fleeing fighting and looting.
"Things are getting worse and worse by the hour," said Mr Chappaz, deputy head of the ICRC's mission in Kyryzstan.
The interim Kyrgyz leader, Roza Otunbayeva [told reporters]... "The situation in the Osh region has spun out of control..."
"...Attempts to establish a dialogue have failed, and fighting and rampages are continuing..."
Kyrgyzstan's interim government extended a state of emergency to cover the entire southern Jalalabad region, as ethnic clashes spread there from neighbouring Osh.
One resident in Jalalabad said fighting was going on throughout the city.
"At the current moment, there are shoot-outs going on in the streets," he told the AFP news agency by telephone.
"There is a veil of smoke covering the whole city," another resident told AFP. He said buildings on fire included a shopping centre...
...There have also been reports of Kyrgyz casualties.
One Kyrgyz family the BBC spoke to by telephone said an Uzbek boy armed with a gun shot dead three Kyrgyz men who were approaching them.
Pakistan says one of its citizens, a student, has been killed in Osh and it is investigating reports that 15 others have been taken hostage.
More than 1,000 people have been wounded in the violence, the authorities say. Some reports say the casualty figures could be much higher.
The clashes are the worst ethnic violence to hit southern Kyrgyzstan since 1990, when several hundred people were killed. Kyrgyzstan was then part of the Soviet Union, which sent in troops to quell the unrest.
A regional grouping of former Soviet states has agreed measures to stop ethnic violence in southern Kyrgyzstan, reports say.
Senior officials from Russia, Central Asia and other countries have sent plans to leaders for approval, after an emergency meeting in Moscow.
At least 124 people have been killed in three days of fighting between Kyrgyz and ethnic Uzbeks.
Tens of thousands of Uzbek refugees have crossed the border to Uzbekistan...
...The Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO), which includes Kyrgyzstan, has not detailed what their proposals include. The BBC's Richard Galpin in Moscow says that a top Russian official at the meeting was quoted as saying that nothing had been ruled out and that he hoped a plan of action would be agreed soon...
...Sporadic attacks continued on Monday in the southern cities of Osh and Jalabad, amid further accusations that Kyrgyzstan troops in some areas had supported anti-Uzbek mobs.
The BBC's Rayhan Demytrie in Osh says that many ethnic Uzbeks in the city are trapped in their homes - fearing attacks from mobs on the streets if they leave - and are in urgent need of food and supplies...