It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Transperant ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Goodday Administrators, Moderators and the ATS Community!

My thread is a important concept I want to present to you all and will appreciate any feedback on it.

What does Tranperancy mean?

====
a. Easily seen through or detected;
b. Free from guile; candid or open: transparent sincerity.
c. candid, open or frank
====

On ATS we follow the motto of deny ignorance and strive to know behind the scenes of world affairs..the intricate details, the things which would never possibly be witnessed by the people outside of ATS community but there is something missing. We are missing the transparency within ATS itself.

I think almost all of you have gone to Wikipedia at one point or another. On every article page a Discussion tab is there where anyone could click it and find all the related discussion about the said topic and that is why the administrators there do a fine job of transparency and being neutral because they know everything is being watched. What I propose is something similar.

Our administrators and moderators do a fine and I must add a tough job to handle the affairs of the community but all that happens behind the scenes without a common member's knowledge. It cannot be seen thus quiet a few people think or may have formed opinions that it's a easy job or other such kind of opinions. Every once in a while there is a thread or a post on ATS issue thread about delays, decisions, judgments or actions taken etc. It is understood that the Moderators and Administrators discuss issues before taking a decision. Would it not be good if the members can themselves view the discussions? What would be wrong if normal members not allowed to post there and only view?

ATS members can themselves witness how the decisions are formed, how much load there is on moderators but above all there will be transparency in everything. That is all I wanted to say. Ofcourse if you would like to add more or change something in this I would appreciate your feedback.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by YJLTG]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think it's important for the Mods to have a private area to discuss the decisions they make and actions they take.

Some of the crap they have to put up with would only be exacerbated by members sending them u2u messages with opinions, pro or con, on the actions they need to take for these boards to run smoothly.

I don't need the drama, and if you hang out on ATS long enough it's not too hard to get the inside scoop.

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Whilst i appreciate the meaning behind your idea, i think it should be kept as it is.

To be honest, and i am talking about a very small minority when i say this, but there are some members i would not want to have any say in how this place is run, at least on an important decision level. Some people would find that extremely difficult without it turning into an arguement.

The staff here have always had a good method of running this place, and it is done without most people getting upset.

The members do have a huge amount of say in other aspects of ATS, i think the staff should be left to actualy run it.

No point in fixing what is not broken as they say.

CX.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by YJLTG

I hate to defend the site owners but transparency is only good if the people who (the transparent object) is transparent to have rights over the transparent object. This is not a democracy. The site owners own the site, every fool who visits it does not. What would be the point in allowing members to develop opinions about situations in which their opinions did not govern anyway? It would just be multiplying trouble, with little pay-off. If I was them, I wouldn't do it either.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I've got to agree with CX.

Although I would love to read how they com to a decision.

It will only make things unnescesarry difficult for the staff of the site.
If you are involved in a situation and want to know, just ask they will probably tell you as long as you show the requiered courtesy and respect.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Hi there..I did not mean that normal members have any say in any decision making progress only can view. With a transparent board it would also improve the efficiency, let members see themselves how it is done and how much is done and enforce the neutral aspect of decision making process. What you say also makes sense but I still think transparency has greater value and would do more good than harm.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by YJLTG]

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by YJLTG
reply to post by CX

Hi there..I did not mean that normal members have any say in any decision making progress only can view. With a transparent board it would also improve the efficiency, let members see themselves how it is done and how much is done and enforce the neutral aspect of decision making process.

OK fair enough.

In that case, i think you'll still find the system is fine as it is.

You can ask the mods or other staff anything about the way things work around here, or how they come to certain decisions.

I am sure that most of the time they would be kind enough to answer any questions you have.

CX.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by YJLTG

No, that wouldn't work.
eg: They discuss posts that have been deleted for T&C violations.
It wouldn't make sense to then allow members to view them posts while they are deciding what to do about them, or have already removed.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
[edit on 15-6-2010 by I AM LEGION]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

This forums should be used to post questions regarding site policies and respond to announcements from ownership. This is not a place to post complaints.

For further comments and/or complaints, use the ATS Complaint/Suggestion Form located in the Member Center and get the full attention of the entire Staff.

You may also add suggestions to the ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?

Or add an ATS issue to ATS Issues Thread

Thread closed.

[edit on June 15th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

join