It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How Much Oil Has Leaked?" - CBS - BP Denies Plumes, BP not the Government is Calling the Shots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This video from CBS News, asks the million dollar question, how much oil has leaked, and BP's denial that plumes even exist.

And that's possible to use U S Navy to determine how much oil is actually leaking, by using modified sonic buoys.

But Coast Guard says anything that is executed must go thru them (BP)

Guess they really don't want anyone to know huh?

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 12-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I just wanted to point out why exactly BP is in charge. When a disaster happens in this country the Stafford act is enabled which allocates funds to help with that disaster. It also allows for federal resources to be used in the disaster, ie FEMA. The big problem that they are having now is that the people that could be helping (FEMA, because it is their job) cannot without the entire crisis being on the tax payers dime. Once the Stafford acts gets invoked then it is all on the Federal Government. As of this moment BP is 100% in charge, I don't care what any talking heads on T.V. tell you. Granted, the U.S. government is aiding in this situation and probably putting fire under the BP executives to do what they need to do, the buck ultimately stops with them on this situation

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippy2012
I just wanted to point out why exactly BP is in charge. When a disaster happens in this country the Stafford act is enabled which allocates funds to help with that disaster. It also allows for federal resources to be used in the disaster, ie FEMA. The big problem that they are having now is that the people that could be helping (FEMA, because it is their job) cannot without the entire crisis being on the tax payers dime. Once the Stafford acts gets invoked then it is all on the Federal Government. As of this moment BP is 100% in charge, I don't care what any talking heads on T.V. tell you. Granted, the U.S. government is aiding in this situation and probably putting fire under the BP executives to do what they need to do, the buck ultimately stops with them on this situation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, thanks for your reply. After having read some of the 125 page report located here:

www.fema.gov...

on the Stafford Act, I am not seeing what section states what you are referring to that is that once the act is invoked, then all responsibility goes to the federal government.

Specifically in one section at the beginning it states:

"In general, technical and financial assistance provided under this
section:

B) May be used to support effective public-private national disaster
hazard mitgation partnerships.

and:

Financial assistance provided under this section may contribute up to 75%
of the total cost of mitigation activities, approved by the President."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't see anything in there about an activation type clause.

Let me know if I am missing something, which is certainly possible in
this long report. I don't see how letting the Navy use its equipment
to determine much more precisely the amount of actual leakage versus us relying on BP for any type of accurate information is going to
cause any problems, and might actually resolve several issues.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

I am sorry I didn't back up anything I said with hard facts, I studying this stuff myself and find it to be quite overwhelming at times.

I was trying to say that for the Federal Government to be able and use agencies (FEMA, DHS, FBI, ect) freely for disaster assistance the Stafford act must be declared.

Sec. 401. Procedure for Declaration (42 U.S.C. 5170)

All requests for a declaration by the President that a major disaster exists shall be made by the Governor of the affected State. Such a request shall be based on a finding that the disaster is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that Federal assistance is necessary. As part of such request, and as a prerequisite to major disaster assistance under this Act, the Governor shall take appropriate response action under State law and direct execution of the State's emergency plan. The Governor shall furnish information on the nature and amount of State and local resources which have been or will be committed to alleviating the results of the disaster, and shall certify that, for the current disaster, State and local government obligations and expenditures (of which State commitments must be a significant proportion) will comply with all applicable cost-sharing requirements of this Act. Based on the request of a Governor under this section, the President may declare under this Act that a major disaster or emergency exists.

Sec. 402. General Federal Assistance (42 U.S.C. 5170a)*

In any major disaster, the President may -
(1) direct any Federal agency, with or without reimbursement, to utilize its authorities and the resources granted to it under Federal law (including personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and managerial, technical, and advisory services) in support of State and local assistance response and recovery efforts, including precautionary evacuations;
(2) coordinate all disaster relief assistance (including voluntary assistance) provided by Federal agencies, private organizations, and State and local governments, including precautionary evacuations and recovery;
(3) provide technical and advisory assistance to affected State and local governments for -
(A) the performance of essential community services;
(B) issuance of warnings of risks and hazards;
(C) public health and safety information, including dissemination of such information;
(D) provision of health and safety measures;
(E) management, control, and reduction of immediate threats to public health and safety; and
(F) recovery activities, including disaster impact assessments and planning; (4) assist State and local governments in the distribution of medicine, food, and other consumable supplies, and emergency assistance; and
(5) provide accelerated Federal assistance and Federal support where necessary to save lives, prevent human suffering, or mitigate severe damage, which may be provided in the absence of a specific request and in which case the President
(A) shall, to the fullest extent practicable, promptly notify and coordinate with officials in a State in which such assistance or support is provided; and (B) shall not, in notifying and coordinating with a State under subparagraph (A), delay or impede the rapid deployment, use, and distribution of critical resources to victims of a major disaster.

This comes from page 26 of Stafford Act

Once the Feds step in it becomes their "problem" so to speak. This is why BP is still in charge, the Federal Government is hesitant to declare the Stafford Act as the footing for the bill will be on them. I truly believe they can find a way around this even if it means legislative.

If you feel I am missing something let me know, we all just want to figure this big mess out.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
The technology to give us this data definitely exists, I just wonder what kind of images they've already got...

Is LIDAR capabale of imaging the entire oil slick? Why haven't we seen it?

I know it can image solids very well, and can work on a gigantic scale, but I don't know how well or if it would pick up the oil throughout the water or not, and most likely not the gas (maybe?) , but it seems like it would, and it'd be a huge benefit for everyone to get a good idea of what this mess actually looks like.

And you can't say it'd cost too much to fly some planes or helicopters back and forth over the gulf scanning with technology we're already relatively familiar with...

"LIDAR: Light Detection And Ranging

-scanning infra-red laser
Laser reflections are detected at 100,000 measurements per second

...Laser reflection points, IMU and GPS data are combined, giving a point cloud with better than 5cm accuracy "

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hippy2012

Thanks again for that reply, which explains some procedures, but still does not appear to have an either or clause.

I think both BP and the government can both be involved at the same
time, and still have BP, as the responsible party, share the burden of
the costs.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Yes. Which is why I would like to see the Navy involved, so we will know, not guess what the extent of the leak is. i.e. BP is not going to release
it voluntarily.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by manta78]

top topics

join