It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Agencies Warned: Prepare For a Government Shutdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

State Agencies Warned: Prepare For a Government Shutdown

www.wktv.com

ALBANY, N.Y. (WKTV) - For the 11th week in a row, the New York State Legislature will vote on Monday on a weekly temporary spending bill, but next week, two Democratic Senators from Downstate said they would join the 30 Senate Republicans and vote against next week's temporary spending bill. They say enough is enough, it is time to pass a budget. So, on Friday afternoon, the state warned all of its agencies to prepare for a shut down.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Gov. Paterson: Shutdown over budget would cause 'unimaginable chaos,' crime in New York
Chaos, Anarchy To Reign If Paterson Shuts Down NY

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I find this stupid and un-needed.Why should the people of New York be the one's to suffer because of this?I think the people who can't accept or make a bill that's passable should be the only one's who have to feel the consequence's of their action's.I am a NYer and have been all my life aswell as my family.This has never happened before in modern time and it should not be happening now.What is happening to this place? :-/

www.wktv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KrillsAngelWings

I am with ya but something about this just does not worry me. Maybe I am just hopeful or stupid. I just feel like someone is trying to call a bluff or someone is just full of bluster. Either way, I feel like this will ride out till the end but we will avoid a shutdown. I just cannot imagine it actually happening. Unfortunately, this is all just how I feel and nothing more.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
first ny goes through this every year....they will threaten to shut down, cut the most valued (amoung the citizens) services, ect....until the public is willing to accept the idea that they are raising taxes, and then they will pass the bill that they want, the one that gives them all the money they want for all the programs that they want...(not the ones that are most valued to the public.)
that, of course is if there's actually anything left to take without blowing their whole economy.....
which, there might not be....
in which case, well, the best thing they can do is shut albany down, since they are the biggest problem.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

that, of course is if there's actually anything left to take without blowing their whole economy.....
which, there might not be....

this is true. there isn't anything left right now. everything is so expensive here and another little fact is local places are suffering more than ever. cops are going nuts trying to write tickets for everything. don't spit on the side walk. this area is a hole and its just going to get worse. we have the highest unemployment rate and second highest taxes. shut down Albany.......and the entire state. i got an idea lets give the politicians a fatter wallet, whenever they want more cash.

bahhhhh NY

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Well im 35 years old and i have never heard of this happening in my lifetime so i would like to know were your getting this information that they do it every year
Thank You

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I agree with you ShanesLaughta the small places are suffering very much I live in the area of Remington Arms and its not looking goof for them right now or the people pf this area because almost half if not more of the people here work there

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

KJ no one is stupid some people are just thinking differently than others :-) ..U may be right and they are trying to call a bluff..We can only hope that is the case

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

seems like I remember it just about every year happening, no they haven't shut down the government, but every year the budget is late, every year, the paint a nice dire picture of all the cuts they make, threaten shutdown, and well, at the end of it all, they find ways to increase taxes, so they can have money for the pet projects along with money to run their schools, along with all the other vital things that it's responsibility.....
it's funny not once did they ever say that they needed to raise taxes for pataki's replica of his ancestrial home or the other lamebrained things that they do....but it's always the schools, welfare, healthcare, ect....

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Last time we had a government shut down, nothing happened. Actually for those few short days, i beleive we actually did better. MAYBE THEY SHOULD SHUT DOWN MORE OFTEN.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Pay attention folks. This is what a collapse in the US looks like. What is happening in front of us is what will happen to state after state, until the whole nation goes bust.

Edit to add:

This is the reason Obama wants a 50 billion dollar bailout for states.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrillsAngelWings

KJ no one is stupid some people are just thinking differently than others :-) ..U may be right and they are trying to call a bluff..We can only hope that is the case

LOL, well I hope you are right but my sister would indicate that indeed, some people are stupid. I am just saying that this happens to us all the time as stated, but this time it is really getting promoted. I have never heard so much fear spread about this budget "crisis" as I am this year. I guess I am just thinking that it is the same old thing but since some signs are different, I am hoping that I am not just being stupid and missing something all the fear should be telling me. Either way, Canada is just across the river so if I really needed to mail a letter, I can.

Just trying to be positive and all but it does strike me as slightly odd the way this is being so played up this time. Maybe it is because the gov just knows there are a bunch of paranoid nuts out there and it is easier to capitalize on now than in times past.

Oh well, I have no claims to make on this either way and I am positive so I do indeed hope I am not just being stupid. I appreciate knowing that there are many different minds on it though.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
im not a ny'er so i dont know how the socioeconomic ramifications of this will play out.but it seems sad they place the burden of what ny does on the shoulders of residents of ny.ny seems misguided but eventually they will and are having to stand for the actions they have committed and profit from.a government is not a business; a business can not function like a government.tax money for the state is seperate from meney co.'s make; illegal money made imaginarily in ny through "trading" stock is not to be used for the government.i can see how even the slightest tampering with business and government can have dire consequences.maybe ny should go full throttle and vote to have quarters of taxes and earnings reports for its "people", that coincide with the earnings reports of companies forced to do "business" there.

as an american i find it highly illegal and unethical for you to think you have some ownership of a product i create because you trade something called "stock" that is representative as stock physical of my hard work as a creator of goods or products.i find it even more abhorrent that you would force me to inflate the wealth of those near and dear to this practice by even including the common man not involved as collateral. this is saddened greater by the practice of including my earnings as a producer with your earnings as a functioning government body.you get what you deserve if my output of production exceeds your ability of allocation of "stock value" and your valued practice is the means of propagation of "government"; im sure everyone appreciates their quarterly bonuses; be it lawful in ones eyes or illegal in a products.

truthfully this thread is misleading; for a non ny'er.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Indeed it is alway's good to have as many different view's on these thing's as you can

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I bet the only agencies that stay open are the ones collecting taxs...

If they shut down, people should refuse to pay tax...Why pay for something you cant get?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I think the ones who are most concerned are the gov't employees that make up the gov't.

I heard that one of the politicos was running around saying it would be armageddon or something stupid. I think he was just worried that people might actually find out in its abscence that gov't is an out of control parasite that carries parasitic corps and banks of its own.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I believe you're right. 32 states are already $38Billion in the hole from having to borrow fed money to pay unemployment benefits. When states have to borrow money to pay state wages, unemployment and food stamps, that tells me they are insolvent at that point. 16 more states and we have the whole country covered.

32 States Borrow Fed Money

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrillsAngelWingsWhy should the people of New York be the one's to suffer because of this?

Well....

The people of New York are the ones who voted the incompetent pols into office. Said incompetent pols are acting as the representatives of the people who put them there. Thus, the people of New York are the source of their own suffering. If the people of New York who vote for this sort of thing every year shouldn't have to suffer for their poor decision making, who should?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kreinhard

I for one refuse to vote in any election because no matter who you want to vote for the government already has the next person selecte.So i do believe NYer's should not pay for what is being done by those official's action's

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kreinhard

Originally posted by KrillsAngelWingsWhy should the people of New York be the one's to suffer because of this?

Well....

The people of New York are the ones who voted the incompetent pols into office. Said incompetent pols are acting as the representatives of the people who put them there. Thus, the people of New York are the source of their own suffering. If the people of New York who vote for this sort of thing every year shouldn't have to suffer for their poor decision making, who should?

I hate to be a stickler and all but we did not vote for our current governor. I see both points here but I think it can be argued that no one wanted him and no one had a choice. Aside from that though, people from other places do not seem to understand but many New Yorkers such as myself, living in farmland hundreds of miles from NYC feel rather helpless in many areas because NYC has a much bigger influence over Albany than the rest of this huge, mostly agricultural state. It can be frustrating to have one city wield such disproportionate power over decision made at the capital.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join