It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Bless the Brits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I came across these actually good quality vids on YouTube of British pilots in American Apaches. Some great low-level flying going on in these vids, thought I would share. My cousin is an Apache gunner so that bird sticks close to my heart. I love to watch other countries utilize American hardware in different ways. Enjoy!
Part 1
Part 2

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
is it true that to fly an apache you need to have indepentent control of both eyes?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Not in all cases. You just have to be able to use the monocle while maintaining flight. It is actually fairly easy to learn with people who have flight-status eyesight.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Interesting story:

I live just down the road from where the apaches are based, those fekkers are always buzzing over < 100ft!

I used to work in the MOD in IT support back in 2004 . One of the guys i supported was a test pilot for the new apaches and regardless of how many times we asked him he'd always say no when we asked for a ride in one

He hold us a funny story once tho. Apparently the first thing the army did when they recieved the apaches was rip out the existing engines and replace them with Rolls Royce engines. Unfortunately though the RR engines wearnt suited to being mounted in the same way as the existing engines (45 degree angle or something) which resulted in them p*ssing oil as they attempted to take off.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I doubt they need bigger engines,they got some badass flying capabilities already.
Check out the national geographic program"ultimate factories" about apaches being built.
Well worth a watch.
Most of each apache is made by hand in a special factory.
Its like a rally prep workshop for choppers,super light and strong high spec components are the order of the day.
Badass choppers indeed.

channel.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

cool vids
shame about the crap music, bloody murder

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I remember a rescue mission launched with Apaches once a few years ago.

Couple of our lads (i'm a brit), came under attack and had to retreat. One of thier number was hit and killed during this. When they found out that he had been left behind, four guys strapped themselves to the sides of two Apaches and flew all the way back to retrieve his body. Whilst a third was hovering to give cover, the squaddies jumped off and retrieved the body of their section leader. If memory serves one of the Apache pilots got out and started shooting with his service pistol! I guess it shows what an Apache can REALLY do!

A tabloid account:

The Sun

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Given how low their flying, couldn't they just decapitate people rather than using all those uber-guns?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
Given how low their flying, couldn't they just decapitate people rather than using all those uber-guns?

if your volenteering to clean the blood of the blades

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Wet wipes? Could be a lucrative government contract there for whoever makes them?

That aside, that's some serious flying. 'Learn to fly' is on my list of 'things to do before buggering off.' It looks like great fun.

new topics

top topics

join