What is to stop a disinfo agent becoming a mod?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
An interesting topic about Mods being pro/anti Israel/Palestine has got me thinking.

What is stopping an anonymous disinfo agent becoming a moderator?

I assume moderators are selected based on their post history or good examples of conduct or whatever, but If i wanted to become an insider, i would hardly be wearing a hat that says 'spy' on it would I?

I'm not actually accusing any mods of being disinfo agents (although some have proven that personal opinion matters more than neutral moderation - although that is open to discussion at the moment).

How would we ever tell? If Moderators are NOT neutral, and are allowed to have their own opinion - then what is stopping them from spreading propaganda or disinfo or whatever?

I know mods aren't allowed to moderate their own posts, but it's hardly likely that one moderator would delete another moderator's post.

So with this sort of power, it can be imagined that it can be abused somewhat?

--

I'd like to discuss this with a degree of civility and let's not go off-topic or start throwing accusations around.

MODS + MEMBERS , what are your opinions?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Well basically it's up to the people that "moderate" the mods and make sure they don't step out of line and keep neutral in discussions. What kinda makes me sometimes a bit awkward is that the mods definately aren't neutral and thus it gives the impression to a regular member that the whole site is biased (since in my opinion the mods reprecent the administrative level of the site when they voice their opinions).

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by enteri
Well basically it's up to the people that "moderate" the mods and make sure they don't step out of line and keep neutral in discussions. What kinda makes me sometimes a bit awkward is that the mods definately aren't neutral and thus it gives the impression to a regular member that the whole site is biased (since in my opinion the mods reprecent the administrative level of the site when they voice their opinions).

This is true. I understand and respect that mods have their own opinions, but i also believe that a degree of neutrality should always be kept in authority.

You wouldn't expect a policeman who is acting as security in a sports stadium to suddenly start jumping around and voicing his opinion when the opposition team scores a point would you?

Much in the same way you shouldn't expect a moderator to start ridiculing /censoring / ignoring other members when they have a different opinion.

--

This is the fine line i don't understand, those who punish and reward us hold a position of power, so by baiting or taking extreme sides does not reflect the professional stance of a moderator.

Which is it to be?

Again it would be like the policeman suddenly punishing the opposition's fans, just because his team lost the match.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I guess nothing stops that, but I'd wait for "official" reply.

Another question is that is this site really dis-info site with perhaps 5 % of credible information altogether, and 95 % lies, fantasies and outright disinformation?

Well, it is a messageboard, and everyone can cast their opinions, but I see here very much stuff which I can't believe even if I wanted to. One of my friends told me that ATS server are running in some US town which is some kind of experiment and receives money from government on that basis.. If that is true, how funny site is this?

-v

[edit on 12-6-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Considering that the common perception of a disinfo agent is some shill sitting in an office spruking the company line all day, for one of these people to become mod would take a helleva lot of effort.

And then, to what end?

What could a disinfo agent that becomes a mod accomplish that a regular member can't?

They can't just ban people, or delete any old post they see fit because other mods and administration can see what they're doing.

It seems to be a lot of effort for not much gain.

[edit on 12/6/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

They can't just ban people, or delete any old post they see fit because other mods and administration can see what they're doing.

It seems to be a lot of effort for not much gain

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check this thread and check page 2 or 3 (the one with the links) - this is the current discussion about mods taking sides and not being neutral.

A mod doesn't have to delete a post , but i imagine a mod will NEVER have his /her post deleted by another mod.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

It has happened.

I even recall a post of Springers being labelled off topic not too long ago.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

It has happened.

I even recall a post of Springers being labelled off topic not too long ago.

Who did that.....S.O.?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
You have to take everything with a grain of salt. Since most people are mentally incapacitated, how do you know this entire site isn't about feeding people a sophisticated form of disinfo? You don't know. The motto "Deny Ignorance" reminds me of Google's motto "Don't Be Evil".

Let's just say with the current state of the world today, being honest and morally upstanding is not exactly at the top of many people's list - especially when you're dealing with companies. And those who advertise themselves as being holier than thou are the ones you should worry most about.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Why would a "disinfo agent" want to even bother becoming a mod? Or bother coming to ATS for that matter?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
ATS would be the first place ide try to be a mod in if i was a disinfo agent, you do know what a disinfo agent does (allegedly)right?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thats not correct...When I was banned by a mod I u2u'd a super Mod.

They told me they can not over rule another mod...
Here is one line from that Mod..

I know that this is a volatile subject but I can't just step on another staffers toes.

Case closed.....

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by R2JEW2
ATS would be the first place ide try to be a mod in if i was a disinfo agent, you do know what a disinfo agent does (allegedly)right?

Why would ATS be the first place?

How would you define a disinfo agent?
Can you show me some examples of a disinfo agent?

thanks

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
ATS would be the first place *I* would become a mod if i was a disinfo agent because ...

1. Its the biggest conspiracy forum on the net

2. Theirs many discussions about different governments, putting them in a bad light and potentially releasing critical leaked info.

3. If you wanted to sway opinions of the skeptics the best way IMO would be to infultrate a forum like this.

I would define a disinfo agent as someone hired, to spit out false information, (OR possibly true information that would fit a certaint agenda)
at the present time to mainly discredit people.
Its pretty impossible to show an example of a disinfo agent, just google it or type it in youtube.. You can't really PROVE someone on the internet is a disinfo agent, but i believe theirs PROOF that disinfo agents exist but thats for your own self to come to a conclusion on.

If you want a better definition,
Im sure a fellow member can give you a far better definition, ive been up all night so my brains kinda uhh slow at the moment.

(ALSO im not saying their are mods that are disinfo agents on this forum but its pretty likely that theiy infultrated this forum as either regular members or mod-members)
[edit on 12-6-2010 by R2JEW2]

[edit on 12-6-2010 by R2JEW2]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
has anyone ever seen a mod they would call a skeptic? I think most people on here would say that the skeptics are the dis-info agents, always trying to find a rational explanation for some of the craziness on here. And I dont know that I've EVER seen a mod take that stance on here

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Totalstranger]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
No offense, but I think some people are taking this a little too far. Paranoia is starting to take over.

We're a conspiracy site.
We're hardly handling classified information that is so valuable that an entire team of spies has descended upon ATS in the hopes of reaching the highest level of access -- a mod!

This is a public web site. All of our opinions are out there for all to see. I really don't think we're so important to warrant a Black Ops disinfo agent team that infiltrates ATS and takes over mod controls in the hopes of silencing some members by deleting their posts.

This is a great site -- and I love it for what it is.
But if you look through just the "Recent Posts" section you will see a ton of headlines that make us look more like borderline crackpots with a lust for fringe topics than a group responsible for housing some of the worlds' biggest secrets.

What would be the pay-off for all of the work and participation required for becoming a mod? Mods are spread out amongst the various threads and topics and it varies daily as to whom is assigned to what.

It's not like we have one mod assigned to one forum and would then be able to silence opinions he/she didn't like across the entire board.

In order for a disinfo agent posing as a Mod to have any affect on skewing the entire contents of a thread, in the hopes of stream lining majority opinion, they would have to be working together as a tag team. This is not at all likely in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
great now you've set them up for a false flag attack on each other. they are going to delete each others post just to prove mods to moderate each other. of course with careful planning.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by R2JEW2

Thanks for your response.
OK so there is actually no proof there is even such a thing as a disinfo agent? Just opinion as to someones motivations to post here.

I myself have been called a disinfo agent a number of times because I'm a skeptic.

Now let's say there is such a thing as a disinfo agent.
Why bother posting here at all.
ATS is a fringe site. What I mean by that is that many people who post here, post about things like
flying humans
holographic planes hitting the WTC's
fire breathing dragons
bigfoot
I am evil
etc...

So who cares whether our little group dissents from mainstream thinking. When the mainstream see's this site, for the most part, they role their eyes.

So what I'm getting at is, assuming there is such a thing as a disinfo agent, they wouldn't be very effective here. They might be more effective in the MSM. You might consider rush limbough a disinfo agent because he uses false info for an agenda.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
If I may interject...

As has been said, repeatedly, moderators on the board come from all walks of life, all religions, all colours and all creeds, and different countries.

None of us became a moderator on our first or second day of posting - people selected as moderators are posters in good standing who have been here for a considerable period of time.

None of us are backwards about coming forwards on issues either, and we all have our own opinions.

As has also been said, time and time again someone having a differing opinion to yourself does not make them a "disinformation agent" - it just means they have a differing opinion.

That happens from time to time in civilised conversations. The ability to understand that notion is key to the very element of a discussion board. People discuss things.

Throwing labels about is, frankly in my opinion simply immature. It does nothing but serve up derision and division - and it deflects away from discussions instead of enhancing them.

If you don't agree with something one of the staff says, discuss it with us in a civilised manner instead of making assumptions.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum