It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May i ask you all a question?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Mainly I would go with cremation..because your dead! who cares? you don't feel it...you may or may not know it..but ultimately it won't matter...so why not make it easier on your family and cheaper? But, my 9 year old was told by a child in her school that her grandma was having herself made into a diamond...very expensive, but apparently this lady has the cash
so she is being made into a diamond and then her daughter will have the diamond made into a pendent that she can wear and pass down. At some point I think thats beautiful, but then at the same time? another part of me thinks "CREEPY!"
Anyway, after learning about this, my daughter has decided that when she becomes rich and famous she will have the cash and instead of me being cremated she will turn half of me into an aquamarine (her's and her father's birthstone) and the other half into a peridot (her sister's and my birthstone)
and then her and her sister will wear me...isn't that nice? i'm not sure whether to be moved by such thoughtfulness or concerned that my 9 year old is already planning on what to do with me when I die????

something else we learned....your remains can be forged into an artificial reef. My mother has always loved Florida and originally wanted her ashes to be spread over the Florida ocean....until we realized she would probably get eaten by fish ;( so...I will have her made into an artificial reef instead....more than most likely it will be a nice contribution after the oil kills all the reef by this summer

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Reply to post by scubagravy

Hey there. I'm personally appeal to cremation due to religious reasons. We believe in the soul rather than the other religions who believe in their body being raised. If i was atheist I would also in with the same view..if everyone would be buried...there wouldn't be amy land for graveyards.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Some really nice ideas, especially the diamond and reef ones.
I watched a film, the fountain, i think. It stated that Some Myans beleived that if you bury a body and then plant a seed or a tree over it. The body will nourish the tree and you become a part of the tree. The tree will bear fruit, the bird will then eat the fruit and you will fly with them.

I really took to this idea and think this is the way for me.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have been told my viewpoint on this subject is somewhat uncommon; so I thought I would share my plans for death.

A lot of people see death as an instantaneous event. It is widely believed that one minute you are alive and the next you are dead with no intermediate phase. I am not sure if I believe this to be the truth. Electrical impulses do continue within the body after what we call "death" has occurred. No one has ever been able to come back from prolonged death and report on what, if anything, the feeling of "death" is.

That being said I have formed my plans based upon my assumption that death is not an instantaneous affair. I do not want to be embalmed, buried under the ground, cremated, or liquidated (the latest in remains disposal). I want to be laid to rest without my body being autopsied or embalmed or in any way subjected to what would be painful while alive. This way if there is some sense of self or of body after death I won't feel pain or panic; and if death is instant then my preparations will have been in vain.

Be that as it may I am not taking any chances and have laid out my final wishes in writing.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Cremation, for sure. If they could haul me out to sea and dump me or bury me, without chemicals and a marker, in the ground so I would just rot, that would be ok, but that probably isn't an option in the U.S.. One of those "sky burials" where the vultures would eat me would be ok, but not an option in the U.S.. Just burn me, put my ashes in a little biodegradable box and toss it in the ditch, in the bushes, or wherever. I'll be gone. Dead. No ceremony or rituals either, thanks. I think burial is a waste of space. I don't have any family, so no one will be coming to visit.

I've already discussed this with a friend of mine who is a nurse and former hospice worker. I don't want anyone who is going to get all sentimental and go against my wishes. I may list her as the one designated to make the decision.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Either donate my organs and then be cremated, or like the Mongolians do it: be laid outside so other creatures find my body useful.... I guess the second only works in Mongolia with its minor population density.

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
To answer the OP, I want to be buried in a perishable bag so my body can participate to the cycle of life.
I'll be useful even in death!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If I ever accumulate enough money I plan on being stored inside a stone monument, where I will have had my own commandments chiseled on the sides of it. Think of the georgia guidestones.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
interesting thread ,

My beloved Rottweiler whome i raised from birth ,bottle fed and everything(her mother had no milk) died about ten years back we had her cremated i still have the ashes. when i pass i would like to be cremated and my ashes mixed with hers and spread over our property in vermont. and when the wind blows and our dust gets picked up and spread we will go for our final"walk" together.

~meathead

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
for me, i want to be buried.
i know my catholic grandad was buried, but my two other christian grandparents were cremated.
my mother wants to be buried (afraid of being set on fire)
and my father wants one of two options.
1. buried in a cardboard box as its so cheap.
2. be cremated and bury the ashes under his pigeon shed.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I like this method..

en.wikipedia.org... - purely for ecological reasons...

But selfishly...I could not care what happens to my fleshy shell! I'll be dead and wont care any more. You could just stick me in a skip or a tesco bag for all I care.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I'm going for the ole' Big Burn, meself.....

Not interested in any sentimentality for any who outlive. THEY don't need any carcass rotting in the ground as proof that I existed...nor an urn on the mantle...clogs the vacuum cleaner bag, if it spills....

Disposal of my cremains? I have no set desire, it really doesn't matter. Throw them away, keep 'em, no skin off my nose.

However, I AM impressed by this person's creativity, and choice! ---

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06b2786660bd.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 12 June 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Mausoleum. I recall going to New Orleans once and marveling at the beauty of those tombs. I was just telling my wife today actually that's what I wanted done. Maybe put a nice big gargoyle on top, some interesting occult symbols as well. I just thought it funny that in a few years after my death a few goth teenagers might just hang out near me. Seemed kinda nice to give something back.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

in response to your headstone above...do you think the big JC welcomed her in like this?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Cremation if I end up with little to no money.
Mummification if I have some money.
Cryogenicly Frozen...if I win the lottery this would be the ideal choice. I just want to be awake when technology is at its best...this time is not now.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Organ donation, (if there's anything worth saving) and then cremation, is my vote Scuba.

One, I don't want to take up any valuble real estate for my shell.

Two, I like the idea of my friends and family getting drunk at the ocean's edge and then pitching my ashes into the sea.

Three, burial here on the islands is in a concrete vault (Hurricane surge mitigation), and I don't see any benefit of spending money on a coffin that I won't care a whit about.

Better that anyone who remembers me fondly will look to the sea and toast the waves.

We're all interred in some way or another on the internet and in the hearts of those who love us. That's good enough for me.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Toss me in a bog so that 1000 years later someone can find me and try to figure out how I died.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Objectively isn't burial THE preferable option for the environment so that all of the elements that make up a human being can be reabsorbed by the Earth and used again to provide life?

I am assuming that cremation i.e. burning, would reduce the usefulness of the elements in the body that can be reused by nature to create newlife as they would be transformed into other compounds by the burning process.

but hey ho not a scientist. I am sure someone else can provide more useful info as to this idea.

For me, 'Coglins Law: bury the dead, they stink up the place.'

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Glad you asked this question.

My personal opinion, is burial, but that is my opinion.

Cremation is something I have never believed in.

But, I do not believe in paying what amounts to criminal extortion, through the burial fees, cost of the product of a coffin, and or services that a mortuary offers either.

I believe paying $7,000, $8,000, or $10,000 for a coffin, a box which will be buried in the ground is tantamount to criminal extortion being played upon people who are vulnerable.

It is my hope you bury your friend.

As for me, when my time comes, bury me in a plain pine box.

Face down so the whole world can kiss my butt good-bye.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join