It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May i ask you all a question?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
i think cremation, is usually chosen because of the cost of a funeral, the burial plot, the headstone. its expensive.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

btw they remove your head first.

and they dont look after it very well. someone knocked i think it was walt disneys head out of the storage, and it craked open. bits went under the freezer etc...

so yeah. just saying.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
For it depends on how I died and what of my body would be left.
If I die of a disease/condition that could benefit from more specimens to study, I'm going to donate my body to a med school. When done, I will be cremated.
If there can be no "good" use, I want to be interred to save space. I'll only be planted if there was no way to stack a space for me and my husband.
I've already warned my husband I would haunt him if anything but the cheapest option is used, no embalming, no "showing", no limos, few flowers.......the cardboard box a casket came in would be my preference to any casket, if possible.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ovenden

I would like to be an organ donor too - except I think I have worn out those organs- oh boy, organs, let's wear you out...

I am, just kidding because I think we need a few laughs these days.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
cremated and have my ashes spread in the Bavarian Alps. already told all the necessary people what to do.

plus what if your spirit was trapped on Earth until your physical body had completely broken down in the ground? I have an irrational fear of this, so burn me.

BUT, when i was younger and better looking I totally wanted to be buried. But that vanity left about 10 years ago....

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

btw they remove your head first.

and they dont look after it very well. someone knocked i think it was walt disneys head out of the storage, and it craked open. bits went under the freezer etc...

so yeah. just saying.

I think it was Ted Williams' head that they did this to. I think they may have used it as batting practice to. oh the irony. but I'm totally serious.
I thought it wasnt true that Walt Disney was frozen as he died before they could even do this.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Really? im goin to suss out why that is, very unusual. Ive heard some stories about some filthy morticians, but thats another thread

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
For those who are making choices - such as organ donation and donatating your body to science, please allow me to give you some information.

Checking the organ donation box on your license in effect does nothing. Most people, when they die, can be allowed to donate their eyes (lenses), some may be allowed tissue and bone. (Yes I know skin is an organ)

For the most part, organ donation is a misnomer, because you can truly only donate organs such as the heart, lungs etc, at the time of brain death, not cardiac death. This can only be done if you
1. have a living will
2. have next of kin that know your wishes.
3. have a will or advance directive

If you do not have one or all of these factors, you can fully expect that someone may step in at the worst time for your family - and try to take over or deter them.

Remember Terry Schiavo.

To truly have organ donation, brain death must proceed cardiac death by a declaration of death from two physicians. At this time, an organization such as Lifelink will come in and take medical control of the body, and the body will be kept alive by life support measures until blood and tissue matching are completed.

Biopsies may be made, and insititutions that have the waiting lists for people needing donations are notified. Once finalizations are made - all organs must be placed - pagers will start going off, life flights may start taking place, and a harvesting is set into motion that takes about 4 hours or so. The entire process can take up to two days, but usually less, from the time you are actually pronounced brain dead.

You may not donate organs unless you die from brain death. Cardiac or respiratory death disqualifies you.

If you are serious, put it in wiriting. You do not even have to have a fomal will, you can contact your local hospital and obtain an "Advance Directive", which requires two witnesses.

If you choose to "donate your body to science", I just found out that this has to be done by you while you are alive. You must register yourself to the organization or medical school, and when you do, your name is placed on a registry. Your family cannot donate your corpse once you have passed on. This would be for cadaver use in a medical college, etc.

For those who are serious, please take the time to research the things you do wish, because if you do not, you leave the decisions up to someone else who may not have any idea what you wish. If you feel very strongly about this, please do what you must to get it into writing.

I have seen families that have handled this before death, as well as those who have not. I can tell you, the passing of a loved one eases distress on the family if this is handled ahead of time, and allows that family to grieve without intrusion from several post death entities, like organ banks, etc.

Here is a link for Lifelink. I myself have received donor cadaver bone grafts for spine surgeries.

www.lifelinkfound.org...

Here is a link to organ donation in Georgia. I have a friend who's vision was saved by corneal transplants from a donor.

www.donatelifegeorgia.org...

You can google organ donation and your state name to find organizations in your area.

Give the gift of life, and you never know, you may receive the gift of life, too.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Libertygal]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Always thinking of others Chadwickus, god luv ya lol

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Thankyou so much for your detailed opinion, valuable knowledge, much appreciation , thankyou.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

I went to the crematorium recently, because I had to, and there was this stink of burnt flesh - ugh - but that is what we will all become.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

UK: Hindu wins right to open-air cremationThursday, February 11,

Hindu wins funeral pyre court case
Irish Times, 11 Feb 2010Subscribe to NewsletterLondon, Feb 11: Years-long legal battle to get his last wish granted turned fruitful for 71-year-old Hindu man on Wednesday, Feb 10, when a Court of Appeal gave its nod to an open-air cremation.

Buzz up!Davender Ghai has been fighting the now famous 'funeral-pyre case' for years as UK law requires all cremations to take place within a building with a wall and a roof.

In 2006, he was refused a permit for an open-air cremation site in Northumberland by a local authority. The spiritual leader challenged the ruling at the High Court in London and lost in May 2009.

On Feb 10, the Court of Appeal not only overturned the High Court's ruling but also ruled that the ceremony could be carried out without a change in the law.

Ghai was able to convince the court to pass this verdict after he promised to surround the pyre with walls and a roof with an opening.

The Hindu fought the long battle as he believes that an open air cremation is essential for the release of his spirit into the afterlife, which accounts for a 'good death'

news.oneindia.in...

Its interesting that this traditional way to go is illegal. While I dont agree that its essential for the spirit's release that cremation be done in open air, it may very well be a more pleasent and smoother transition. Ive heard the worst way possible to go is through nuclear explosion as it somehow distorts the spirit (just hear say).

In any case, after Ive ceased the use of my physical vehicle I shall just bless the animal body that has efficiently and duteously transported my consciousness around all these years and let it dissolve back into the universe, forever in the memory of the incarnation reviewed in time/space. The precise method of the body breaking down is not important to me.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
funny, i see farmers burning cows and sheep in that exact way all the time.

does not smell good though. *sticks head out car expecting bbq smell

that reminds me i need to clean my nearside door panel

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share.

I think the social aspects of death in his country are very strange. We do everything we can to hide from death, and to minimalize it in every aspect.

Sadly, this leaves a lot of people being unprepared. I have always chosen to speak openly with my family - from as young as the age of 13 - to make it known what my wishes were.

Some people may call it morbid, and run from the room, plugging their ears and singing la-la-la! They choose to not think about it, talk about it, or consider their options, and literally hope that someone will make the "right" decision for them when their time comes.

I think you did an excellent service by asking the hard question that most people run from.

Death does not have to be expensive, it does not have to be in someone elses hands. Most preparations are free or very inexpensive, and there is no reason anyone of any age should not make their wishes known.

Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I have always said I want to be cremated. I want to be cremated with certain belongings and have those ashes spread over Paris, France from The Eiffel Tower. I know it's illegal, but I even have that covered, bail money for my kids. I am being serious too, my friends think I am nuts, but France has always been my one lasting love and that is where I want to be.

To me there is something about being buried in the ground where hundreds of years later they will probably build a subdivision over me.

I know people who prefer burial and I know those who prefer cremation, I guess it just depends on preference. Most of those who I know that prefer burial say it's for religious reasons.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Cost is definately relevant my friend. Aroung 7 thousand in Oz to bury your loved one here. If it were an accident, alot of people do not have that sort of cash to front.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

I liked your post Polarwarrior, cartainly opened up a new basket of eggs for me
, one has to ponder why an open air cremation is illegal.

Soon though, you may have to pay a fart tax in public, (like a swear jar). No links, just a perception of the silly things that are going on

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
My husband and I both are for cremation, and for a lot of reasons.

One, we do not wish the other to be tied down to feeling responsible for visiting a gravesite on holidays. Holidays are celebrations, and most people do not have a lot of fun in cemetaries.

Two, what they do to prepare you for burial is well, barbaric. The whole notion of ashes to ashes, dust to dust is *not* going to happen. First, the body is prepared in a lot of ways you cannot imagine, like sewing your mouth shut, removing all the organs, embalming - which prevents decay for a long time, and finally, hermetically sealed coffins. The idea of being some rubberized, leathery corpse in a metal box is just ... ew to us both.

Three - ashes are kinda portable. So if you move to another state, you can take the loved one with you instead of feeling like you are leaving them behind.

You can even get turned into a diamond!

www.lifegem.com...

The things people think of

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Gday mate, love the way you have already thought of and covered your next of kin for a bail out , love it!! lol

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
reply to post by scubagravy

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share.

I think you did an excellent service by asking the hard question that most people run from.

Death does not have to be expensive, it does not have to be in someone elses hands. Most preparations are free or very inexpensive, and there is no reason anyone of any age should not make their wishes known.

Thanks again.

I know, it is a hard question, but if you notice, it seems pat of the ATS community know exactly what they want. Also, i never knew they did all that for the burial process
What if they had to exume your body later for specific reasons, but your organs have gone??

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join