It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British WWI Graves Desecrated in France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

British WWI Graves Desecrated in France

news.sky.com

Vandals have desecrated a British World War I cemetery in northeastern France's Pas-de-Calais region.

They daubed 12 soldiers' graves with pink swastikas and other Nazi signs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I wanted to post this before anyone else got to it and turned it into an anti-French rant...

All nations have unfavourable elements of society that have little or no respect for the sacrifices made by others.

I must commend Nicolas Sarkozy who has responded to this admirably and also the French authorities who immediately dispatched workers to clean the graves.

The men buried in these graves, both British and Canadian, gave their lives for the freedom of France... However, it was almost 100 years ago now and it touches my heart that, after all this time, France has not forgotten our heroes and is angered by these vandals.

I hope these little thugs are caught, named and shamed.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Dispicable. I do hope the authorities are able to capture whoever did this. Our forefathers mean much more than little punks will ever understand, this kind of disrepect is intolerable!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

This is a sad thing - but not anti anyone.

A lot of younger people who know nothing about that sacred thing, do this
because they are frustrated and jobless.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'm glad you posted this, and commend the way you approached it, true that it may not even have been French people who done this, it could've been any nationality in this day and age.

Good to see that at least the country itself remembers, that's the important thing, not the opinion of degenerate thugs.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
EDIT: double post, sorry. remove at leisure!

[edit on 12/6/10 by Longy4eva]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Not the first time this has happened, yet as others have stated this isn't unique or typical of the French. Only last year, a British tourist was given a suspeded sentence in Latvia for taking a drunken wee on a war memorial.

You get nob-heads everywhere and this is actually rather amusing. Daubing swastikas on a WW1 memorial? Should have daubed the Prussian eagle or Iron Cross. Looks like they really should pay attention in their "yobbish History class".

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I think it is very sad, none of the younger generation are taught anything much about history.. and the sacrifices people made.. no wonder they have so little respect.

In my home town there is a Memorial called the Pavilion Gateway and it was a gift from the Princes India to the people of Brighton for the kind treatment of India's sons.. It is a fair sized gateway in the middle of the city, but as memorials go, it goes unnoticed... IMHO we live in a very sad world, where memorials go unnoticed or vandalised.

Pic no 9 shows the Memorial, but I suspect very very few people who pass through the gateway know why it is there.
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The people that did this are probably in the eleven to thirteen age group, and probably thought it would be a daring lark.
The very same people are probably smashing street lights and vandalizing cars. Just senseless stupidity of youth.

As kids, most of us probably did something or other we can look back upon now as adults, with some regret, and with the extreme good fortune that we were never caught.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Get real. things like this happen because things like common sense and personal responsibility have been brainwashed out by our educational systems. If they find the people responsible for this, I'll wager that they are between the ages of 15 to 18 and Muslim. I'll also wager that if I am right, this will be swept under the rug.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Get real. things like this happen because things like common sense and personal responsibility have been brainwashed out by our educational systems. If they find the people responsible for this, I'll wager that they are between the ages of 15 to 18 and Muslim. I'll also wager that if I am right, this will be swept under the rug.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

What is the basis for your assumption that these vandals are Muslim????

[edit on 12-6-2010 by ovenden]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I'll wager that they are between the ages of 15 to 18 and Muslim.

I wanted to reply to your comment but for the life of me I cant think of any words that will pass T&C

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

I totally agree. Those kind of narrow minded accusations are type of bull# that fuels the gaping divide between the extremists on each side of the fence.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I think we are probably mostly agreed, these people were immature juvenile vandals.

Not part of some deep preplanned sinister political or ethnic vendetta.

Just kids doing what kids do.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The Perpatrators may have been middle aged or nursing home aged malcontents, they may have been easily riled expats types who listened to Obama accuse BP of destroying the USA ecology.
They may have been just grave trolls who wished to remind the world of the Nazi groups that exist in Europe....who knows,but the end result is constant , the desecration of British war dead.
Anyone who knows anything of the great war knows this is a heinous crime.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Of course it MAY be a Muslim... but to state this, before there is proof, is bigoted and ignorant.

Sadly, War memories are desecrated every week... for all different reasons including theft, vandalism and sick attempts at political protests.

Regardless of the perpetrators background... this blatant disregard of the dead should not go unpunished... However, one of the reasons for me starting this thread was an attempt to avoid the ignorant stereotyping and political chest beating that normal walks hand in hand with these story’s.

To use a story like this to forward a political agenda, or as a weapon to bash a segment of society over the head with, is dishonouring the memory of the fallen and what they died for!

I feel it is you who should "get real"

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Well closer to home in the UK the health and saftey department have moved into the church yards in an effort to extract money and have pushed over more than a million head stone.

Now i'm sure you think this is a hoax so look for yourselves

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

it costs £2 to push the stones over and £100 to put them back up again and the C of E gets a kick back from the contractors so remember that when you make final plans for your death.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Please answer me why you all think that it were young people who did this? Just because you all hate kids and think all are bad and evil, stupid and do such things?
I mean, it also could've been some old nazi thugs, 80 years old and stupid. It could've been a right-wing party....there are so many possible groups of people, not just kids.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ovenden

Well not only do we know it was muslims we also know they are all from Iran because we need an excuse for the zionists to go and rob the oil from Iran else they can never charge us £10 a gallon unless they have full control that won't happen if Iran sells oil for £5 a gallon.

Lets forget the frogs are upset because the UK would not help Europe to bailout Greece when most the debt was owned by the french.

new topics

join