It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you right or left brained? Take the simple test and find out for sure...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
The Freakanomics guys survey seemed to indicate that contrary to what psychologists thought, a lot of "logical" people fell into the right brained category.

I majored in philosophy, which IS on the right brained list, but philosophy is very logical, (virtually all math and science was created by philosophers) so maybe the psychologists have something wonky in their assumptions about what it means to be "creative." Thats what I am guessing from what we are seeing here and what Levitt found.

My initial thought was that the majority of people would see the dancer rotate clockwise.

Herbert Krugman showed that while viewers are watching television, the right hemisphere is twice as active as the left.
Going on the computer and watching youtube videos, in my opinion, has the same effect. I would argue that most people who load up the dancer video, regardless if one is actually left or right brained, are already in "right brain mode" which would explain the disconnect between the frekanomics survery and psychologist.

Although this is a neat effect to play around with, I would hardly consider it definitive proof of brain dominance.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The naked dancing chick was clockwise first for me (so I'm right-brained), but she also switched directions twice (and I wasn't trying to change directions).

I am a lefty

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
She spins clockwise, if you see it spins the other way you need to see a doctor lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well I've watched it about four times now, just to make sure. It spins clockwise for me, I sat here and tried to blink and stare and such but could not get her to spin the other way; I must be REALLY creative then

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I definately use my right side a whole lot more than my left but what i want to know is why does education need to change us from being right sided to left?

That is the question

The answer is that the education system and those who control it wants us to conform.

Education wants us to be better workers, not thinkers. The system wants us to repeat history, such as get into debt and work ourselves to the bone until we die.

A few Albert Einstein quotes

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.”

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.”

Schools don't put a big emphasis on imagination. The teacher teaches and you do as the teacher says or you get a bad grade. While this is ok with math or science, these are not the only courses which are taken in a person's educational path. Even science and math requires a bit of imagination. If imagination was given a bigger emphasis, the elites would not be able to hold onto their monopoly on power as well

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Honestly, I have watched both the OPs video and the GIFF. I can make both change direction at will. I was also artistic when younger and and now analytic in my job of the last 22 years. I am also right handed and right eyed......

so go figure, I will not try to draw anymore conclusions about who or what I am and enjoyed the exercise.

It is a very interesting question about visual stimuli and the changes of brain activity.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Wow! That was very intresting! I saw them spinning clockwise and it took a little work for me to see it spin counter clockwise and could only hold it in that direction for a moment at a time.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is truly AMAZING and the ramifications are endless. I have knew the differences between left and right brain, but never seen a visual demonstration like this.

When I first watched for the first time she was spinning counter clockwise and about half-way through she was spinning clockwise. Then the next few times she spun nothing but clockwise.

Now, i can litterally make it go either way. What i do is concentrate on what leg she is spinning on and the direction. Sometimes she may be spinning on her left leg to the right or left and she also may be spinning on her right leg to the left or right.

I also could not get the GIF to spin any other way than clockwise, now i can see it going left also.

What helped me was to click on the red bar below the video somewhere near the beginning before it ended or was half-way through. Keep on doing this and you should be able to start see it going in different directions.

What would be really neat is to get a group of people doing this at the same time and recording their observations.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
At first she was spinning clockwise, a few seconds later counter-clockwise, then again clockwise, then switched again and then she was spinning in both directions simultaneously..

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I can only see this spinning clockwise, i really cannot perceive how it could appear the other way!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It goes clockwise. Cant switch it

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

To change the spinning direction of the dancer, try obstructing either of your eyes. I noticed that if I obstructed right eye, the dancer began to spin clockwise, if right, it soon began to spin counter-clockwise. If it didn't change direction immediately, blink few times. At least it worked for me.

I guess its logical - they say that vision of of right eye is controlled by left brain lobe and vica versa. When looking at this picture however, it shows threads from both eyes ending up in both lobes.

So go figure.

-v

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Went on another try and by watching the foot that she's standing on I can make her switch direction whenever the foot is facing left or right.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Immediately see Clockwise...so Right Brained.....But I can change the perception pretty easily..............thanks for posting'

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

When I first looked at, it was spinning counterclockwise, but after a moment, I could change it at will. I guess this means Right-brained?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It first spun to the left and toward the end switched. I did it again and still started the spin fom left but switched sooner than before. The third time began switching back and forth much more frequently. Jeez I must be spinning out of control LOL!!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well, i just tried my own experiment. I got me, my mom and dad to watch this and we were all calling out what direction she was going and when she switched. Then it turnned into an arguement bewtween the three of us and we all got a gigantic headache. LOL

My dad seen it turnning mostly to the right most of the time, but he could see it going the other direction also. My mom automatically could see it going in both directions. I was more in tune with my mother, but eventually we were seing things differently.

My mom is very artistic, so it didn't suprise me she could see it going both ways right off the bat. My Dad is a teacher and it didn't suprise me that he seen it mostly turnning right. I don't know exactly what i am, but i'm not as right brain thinking as my dad, but i don't have any where near the artistic talents of my mom. I'm a male so me and my dad are always being told how much we are alike and i would agree, but during this little test it appeared me and my mom were actually more intune with what we were seeing.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The video of the spinning girls confirmed what I already knew,that i am right brained.

I love that optical illusion,sometimes I can sort of manage to get the spin direction to change at will,others I can't.
(try blinking and just slightly turning your head slowly,to make her change direction.)

Bet no one can get in so one girls spinning clockwise,and the other counter clockwise at the same time!

They should somehow incorporate this into the sobriety testing at the roadside-wouldn't it be fun to watch really drunk people fall over as they got dizzy watching the spinning girls?
Yes it would!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
My friend is a neuroscientist. She says this whole left-brain right-brain thing is entirely bunk. It's a myth just like how people used to say we only use 10% of our brains.

You know what this may show, imo? I think the visual test shows which eye is most dominant in processing visual data. People use their whole brain. If most people were "left-brained" and that means they're logically oriented, then why does 93% of the world believe in an all knowing, all powerful, infinite being? The concept is irrational no matter how you look at it.

Debunked

[edit on 12-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
mine changes from clockwise to counter clockwise.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join