Are you right or left brained? Take the simple test and find out for sure...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
for me it went counter clockwise. except at the very end, like at maybe 30 seconds, it went clockwise for 2 rotations.

by my 3rd watch if I moved my head clockwise I could get it to move that direction for a few rotations, but as soon as I stopped moving my head along with the image it went right back to counter clockwise.

very interesting

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
To make them change direction, look at something further down the page, and have them at the top of your field of view, in your peripheral vision.

I am right brained. Also left handed.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
with the gif on page 2 I can make it switch at will.

and somehow I knew which ever direction I first saw (counter clockwise) I'd be in the minority on ATS since I'm a huge skeptic and think most of the stuff on here is crazy talk.

plus its my opinion that most people on here WANT to be right brained and creative and spiritual and all that. even if they aren't. yeah I'm talking to whoever lied about their answer and I know someone will. no offense....

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Vincent84

It spins clockwise for me too. Are you left handed, i am.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Spins clockwise for me.

I'm right handed.

After digesting the material, if asked, I would say I am almost equal parts left and right brain dominant (though lean more towards the right).

Thanks for the interesting thread.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am a right handed right brained person. Back when I was a kid, teachers didn't like to teach lefties, so they taught me to be a rightie. I have known this since I was a kid, and have known I was right brained for a while now. That said, after watching the clockwise rotation for a bit, I can change the rotation to counter-clockwise at will, but if I stop concentrating on it, it flips back to clockwise.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'm confused - the video itself changes at about 30 seconds. It is not me, it is the video - I am 99% sure of that. There is a a slight hiccough in the animation and suddenly its going the other way. I may be wrong, but I highly doubt it - I've watched it several times now and the video itself changes at around 30 seconds; as someone else noted.

EDIT: I just looked closer and frame by frame - it does change at the 29/30 second mark. It gets to the point where the foot is pointing almost straight at the viewer, and then pauses and starts going the other way.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by ShadowArcher]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

"According to research most of us start off as right brain dominant, but that changes as we are educated. "

I say bull. I'm left handed, therefore my right side is dominate.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Which way did they first appear to spin? They did say some could easily flip back and forth, and I will modify the OP to clarify that. I guess it is lucky you two answered first.

she first appeared going clockwise. then, after some concentration i seen her change directions. Pretty cool post OP.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

The Freakanomics guys survey seemed to indicate that contrary to what psychologists thought, a lot of "logical" people fell into the right brained category.

I majored in philosophy, which IS on the right brained list, but philosophy is very logical, (virtually all math and science was created by philosophers) so maybe the psychologists have something wonky in their assumptions about what it means to be "creative." Thats what I am guessing from what we are seeing here and what Levitt found.

Bravo!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowArcher
I'm confused - the video itself changes at about 30 seconds. It is not me, it is the video - I am 99% sure of that. There is a a slight hiccough in the animation and suddenly its going the other way. I may be wrong, but I highly doubt it - I've watched it several times now and the video itself changes at around 30 seconds; as someone else noted.

EDIT: I just looked closer and frame by frame - it does change at the 29/30 second mark. It gets to the point where the foot is pointing almost straight at the viewer, and then pauses and starts going the other way.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by ShadowArcher]

Not on my end. the first time I watched it, it was clockwise the whole time...I am left handed...then, the second time I watched it half way through it changed direction and then the third time I watched it, same thing. then, i watched it again, started out counter-clockwise then after a few seconds...clockwise. Watched it again, started out counter clockwise then shortly clockwise again. there is no consistency to your take. It is within each of the viewers' discrection. Or, just more evidence that I am ambadextrious...sorry (too lazy to look up spellling).

As I read the left and right brain atributes, I couldn't help but relate to both sides. maybe that is evolution at work?

I am a lefty two.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Just sayin, If you're artsy and creative, you're right-brained; if you're not very imaginative but are a wizard of math and science and spacial relationships, you're left brained.

Thats what I would have thought. I am so rational my friends call me "Spock" to make me lighten up. And yet I am so right brained I cant make it spin the other way to save my soul.

Perhaps there is a crazy artist inside me, yearning to breathe free. Or not. Lol.

Illusions, you described my situation EXACTLY. I even watched the "solution" video and SAW the difference... still can't see the original spin counter-clockwise no matter how I try.

I am one of the most logical people I know (not just my view, promise
). Maybe that right brain influence is why I am so intuituve though (again, not just my view).

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Spinning?.... she's going clockwise and anticlockwise (back and forth)

Does that mean a dual hemisphere use or.... a no brainer?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Clockwise, which surprised me because I'm extremely analytical about lots of stuff. But my life and hobbies revolve around creativity.....knitting, spinning, crafting in general.
I was also able to switch them at will. Interesting.
Then I remembered something that answers being right-brained. I'm "left-eyed". We had to test that to get a "right-eyed" lab partner so two could use a stereomicroscope. To test that, with both eyes open point at something. When you know you are on target, close one eye. If you are left-eyed, you are still pointing at it with your right eye is closed. If you are right-eyed, you are still pointing at it when your left eye is closed. Since your right brain controls the left side of your body, and vice versa, it seems that should work for determine which brain you are too.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but there is no such thing as right and left brain dominance. It is simply a concept made up by pop psychologists to make money. In truth most of the brain is active at all times (which also dispels the 10% myth.) However, the sensory cortices do tend to be on the opposite side of the brain of the person's dominant hand.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by chaosinorder

I am the same as you, couldn't see it counter-clockwise to save my life. I am an artistic individual, musically inclined, but also can be quite cold in my logic. I think music is unique in that it combines mathematics and logic along with freedom of expression and creativity.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I have tried to look at the image over and over again but i only see her going clockwise. I really wish i could control it and change the direction but nothing works. What do you guys think this would mean?

[edit on 6/12/2010 by OShtey]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Right handed - right brained.

1st time, it spun clockwise the whole time. On 2nd go around, it was counter, then changed to clockwise. Repeated this a third time, it was clockwise at first, then changed to counter, and back. lol too weird!

Thanks OP, neat experiment! I guess it all depends on our mood (*which side we're brained*) at the particular moment.

Had never seen these dancers before. Found this very interesting: Topics about the brain always fascinate me. Thank you once again. It was fun!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Do not know how this works but, it started clockwise, then I just thought... maybe its an illusion , presto reverse!. Then thinking ok, presto back to clockwise.. How does this work, is the gif spinning in only one direction?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
Know the word "pigeonholing"? What is this good for? I think centered - LOL

I dont think this is about "pigeonholing" for me, its about curiosity, and fact finding.

There are assumptions that have been made about left or right brain dominance, and since they were made, they really dont seem to have been questioned in some circles. I personally think Levitts finding that more of the people who studied the humanities had left brain dominance than engineers and mathematicians is fascinating.

Also, if you handedness is supposed to be opposite your "brainedness" thats another assumption that isnt holding true, I am right handed and right brained according to this spinning test.

Also it is very interesting to me how many are balanced, and able to switch at will. Im not trying to pigeonhole anyone, I am just interested to see for myself which parts of the right brain left brain thing are worth holding on to, and which parts we need to toss out as not really valid.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join