It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of handgun would be best for a SHTF situation?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i hear 9mm's aren't the best though ammo is relatively cheap and easy to come by. i'm looking to get a small .45 of some kind myself

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingbreaker
i hear 9mm's aren't the best though ammo is relatively cheap and easy to come by. i'm looking to get a small .45 of some kind myself

It all depends on what you want it for. For home protection, never go with a .9mm, or a .40 for that matter. Both travel at too high a velocity to be safe for use in a home. Truthfully, no handgun should be used for home protection.

If for a carry piece, 9's and 40's have quite a bit igher capacity than .45's, which is quite important. They also tend to be lighter weight than .45's, another important factor.

The truth is, though, 9mm, & .40 sw are the victims of a lot of 'manly' propaganda. Both can stop a person dead in their tracks, and if you go hollow points or hydroshock, they have an immense amount of stopping power. Throw in the fact that, at least for me, it is much easier to double-tap with the recoil of a 9mm, and I am a firm believer in the double-tap.

The other thing to keep in mind is cost. You should practice with your gun, often. Ammo can get spendy when you are practicing a lot. Especially in the higher calibers.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by trigga
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

fn herstal arms both have 9mm and 45cal but have released a new cal the 5.7 wich is in the fn herstal p90 wich I am sure packs a punch.

The 5.7 wasn't designed to be a man stopper like the .45, .357mag,10mm and .40s&w. The 5.7 was designed mainly to be able to penetrate modern body armor and for that purpose it works very well but only the military and police get the armor piercing bullets, for a defensive situation like you would encounter if someone breaks into your home its just not practical, chances are you'd have to empty quite a few rounds into the would be attacker before he'd drop, unless your shot placement hits just the right spot. It is a very nice round for what it was designed for, but for home defense there are much better options and a shotgun loaded with "00" or "000" buckshot trumps any handgun with ease for home defense that would be my first option.

For a handgun though its tough to beat a .45 and recoil on a .45 is very mild for the size of the round. Another option to consider would be the Taurus Judge .45lc/.410 have the best of both worlds wrapped up in a 5 shot revolver i'm not sure of the lethality of the .410 shotshell but the .45 long colt has a rich history and if a revolver ever fails to fire just pull the trigger again, simplicity is your friend.
edit on 24/2/11 by Aliensdoexist because: spelling

edit on 24/2/11 by Aliensdoexist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
for handguns i'm saving up to get a .45 doubledecker. it's cheaper than a 1911, and it has a 14 round capacity, for getting past armor the head and neck shot is difficult which is why i recommend regular target practice. the technology depends on the wielder of the weapon.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
To the OP, get a glock 17.

For a gun noob it is the best option, reliability, ease of use, and ammo availability, 9mm is good.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
To the OP, get a glock 17.

For a gun noob it is the best option, reliability, ease of use, and ammo availability, 9mm is good.

No for a inexperienced gun owner the best option is a revolver. Glocks are great guns but if you have little or no experience behind any handgun you cannot beat a revolver.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
my graduation into the world of shooting:
.22cal pistols
.380pistols
38cal pistol(revolvers)
.357 pistol(revolvers)
9mm semi-pistols
.223 rifles
40cal semi-pistols
45cal semi pistols
12gauge shotguns

the 1st 3 weapons were in my youth, familiarity with weapons thanks to a LEO dad. as i got to legal age, i resumed with the .380 due to it's compact size, affordability(sp) and gave me the chance to learn/correct basic shooting errors(i found out i was cross-eye dominant/ the old anticipate the recoil and trigger control etc.) and then focus on breathing and grouping my shots. once i got better with the 380 and only then, i stepped up (or over) to the 9mm, went to the military and then resumed with larger caliber pistols.

hell, i dont even remember how old this OP is, he may have a weapon already.....but either way, caliber matters, but NOT AS MUCH AS A WELL PLACED SHOT.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

taurus 410 best of both worlds

2nd line..

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
i like Doc Velocity!! lol! he speaks truth.

but Doc, what happened to your avatar??

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

have them all, and the Mossberg will have a hacksaw taken to it once there are no laws.
I will be my largest PISTOL afterwards.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

colt single action army!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Mine is a Glock 21 loaded with 230 gr. Gold Dots. Secondary is a Ruger P-89 loaded with 125 gr. Gold Dots.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
whatever my enemies drop will be mine so i'll have a wide collection of small arms i'll trade guns for food, atv's but i'll usually keep my .45s

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join