It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of handgun would be best for a SHTF situation?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
1911 45 cal.
and
large cal. revolver

It's good to have multiple guns in the same caliber.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by jeh2324]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A loaded one. Otherwise its just a really hard blunt force object.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In a long-term SHTF situation, I'd want a .22. The chief benefit of this caliber, besides cost, is that it is so small and lightweight. A 500 rd. "brick" of .22LR is not much bigger than a single, 50 rd. box of .45ACP. That is no small consideration, if you're on the move. A 12 ga. is a formidable weapon, but the ammunition is very bulky. You simply cannot carry a lot of shotshells along with all of the other "stuff" you'd need if the SHTF. From long, personal experience, I can tell you that a 12 ga. is a heavy thing to lug around. I would not want to carry one all day, every day. For long-term survival, I think a Glock 19 (9mm) for self-defense and a little "chipmunk" style .22, single shot rifle for hunting would be a good combination. Both weapons are small, lightweight, and unobtrusive.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Sig Sauer P239 in .40S&W. Concealable, well balanced and plenty of stopping power. In my opinion, Glocks are plastic POS's and I would never insult my collection by adding one! Sorry Glock owners - professional opinion of a 17 year NRA certified shooting instructor!

I agree with some posters pointing you toward a 12 guage shotty - got a Mossberg 590A-mil - the same ones issued to the marines! NICE!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Is there a gun for a small woman with lots of power but not enough kick to knock her off her feet or in her head?

Are there guns that use more than one kind of ammunition that woman can manage?

Is there a vest or deceive that a woman can wear that helps her carry a 12 gauge and its shell?

Thanks for any information that will help us woman be independent or partners instead of burdens if TSHTF.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Even a small woman can comfortably shoot a full-power service handgun with a little training. My wife, who is 5'1" tall, can comfortably shoot my Sig P220 in .45ACP, which by any standard can be considered a big, powerful gun. However, it is a large weapon, and would be extremely difficult for her to conceal.

The only weapons I would steer folks away from (man or woman) because of excessive recoil are Smith & Wesson's scandium J frame revolvers in .357 magnum. They're small, extremely light, easy to conceal weapons, but touching one off literally feels like being hit in the hand with a baseball bat. J frames are very popular with women because of their size and ease of operation, but stay away from the .357s, and by all means, stay away from the ultra-lightweight scandium models. The .38 special, airweight models are a great choice, though not exactly comfortable to shoot. They are available with factory, laser sights built into the grips, which is a big plus for a revolver with minimal iron sights.

The best balance of size, controllability and power in a handgun for a woman to carry (in my opinion) is the Glock 19. They are very compact, lightweight, and powerful- with 15 rounds of 9mm on tap. They are also extremely tough/ indestructible, and dead-nuts reliable.

I would not recommend a 12 ga. for a SHTF weapon for a woman, unless she planned on staying put. They're great for static defensive use. They are big, heavy, and bulky- with brutal recoil. I'm a very experienced shooter, and at 5'11 and 220 lbs, not a small man- 12 ga. is still unpleasant for me to shoot. For inexperienced shooters, hard recoil means flinching, which means missing your target. Semi-automatic shotguns are a little bit better in terms of recoil, but they're still large, relatively unwieldy weapons. They are also limited in terms of range- being of little practical use beyond 40 yds or so vs. human targets, unless you're using slugs, in which case, you'd be MUCH better off with a rifle.

A Marlin lever-action carbine in .357 would be a good choice for a longarm. If you have a .38 revolver, you can share ammunition between the two weapons (.357 weapons can use .38 special)- and the carbine will allow you to reach out to 100 yds. and beyond. Lever guns have the additional advantage of not looking too "tactical"- and won't draw attention to you the way an AR-15/ M4 clone would.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by moonwilson

Thank you Moonwilson.

Your information was well detailed, easy to understand and has given me place a to start doing my research.

I would like to have a nice reliable hand gun and a rifle or shot gun but I want one that is reliable, easy to carry, shoot and one that is easily obtainable with ammunition that is obtainable as well.

I know that a lot of the gentlemen here are enthusiast and collectors. I would like to have more than one gun also but I have no desire to collect, outside of what I would need to protect my family and my home.

I will probable get 2 handguns, and a rifle or shot gun.

Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
try walmart around hunting season i bought a decent compound bow there for 150 on clearance after hunting season rolled back from 197

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The simple answer is what ever hand-cannon your most comfortable with... by that I mean something you've put more than 500 rounds through, can hit what you aim at, at least most of the time... and one you know you can rely on when the chips are down... one you know front to back top to bottom inside and out... one that becomes an extension of your arm

Just what make and model is that??? we'll all have a different answer but here's mine
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cd5de0374ec.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

fn herstal arms both have 9mm and 45cal but have released a new cal the 5.7 wich is in the fn herstal p90 wich I am sure packs a punch.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Any of these are great choices.... I would tend to go towards a higher caliber, semi-auto handgun that has proven reliability

my personal favorite (for the above reasons) would be a Wilson Combat 1911

second choice would be a h&k usp 45

third would be a .357 magnum

but.... If I were to prepare for a SHTF scenario I would make sure that I have multipul guns, definately included a shotgun and some sort of long rifle.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
try walmart around hunting season i bought a decent compound bow there for 150 on clearance after hunting season rolled back from 197

When you say decent could you tell how you are judging it. Just a basic description.

I am a little afraid of compound bows. Too parts and ways for something to go wrong when you need it most.

I think in SHTF situation the simpler the better.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Anyone who recommends bird shot has never been in a firefight and should not be listened to. Search and Lear. Everywhere suggest OO buck shot, 2 3/4, not 3 inch shells.

Your life depends on it..... Research and learn.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There are truly very few "bad" guns out there anymore.

In a true survival situation, I'd go with a high capacity 12 guage, and a 9mm sidearm to back it up.

Handguns are truly for last ditch self defense. You're FAR better off with a rifle or a shotty as your primary weapon.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The 1911 (I have a Springfield
). It's sexy. It's solid. And it's an all around "bad mother lover". As someone who has a .45 and a 9mm, I can surely say I'd take the .45 over the 9 anyday (except for plinking.
) And being solid, all-metal construction, it's great for beating things into a bloody pulp with if you run out of ammo.

Besides, how many Nazi's did Glocks kill? None, that's how many.
edit on 29-12-2010 by LongSeptember because: edit for clarity

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
i would take a mac 10, convert to full auto and put a .45 barrel on it. that or a .22 for carrying capacity. but also these rounds can be reloaded easy.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockoperawriter
i would take a mac 10, convert to full auto and put a .45 barrel on it. that or a .22 for carrying capacity. but also these rounds can be reloaded easy.

How about a Calico M110? The best of both worlds... Our local gunshow usually has one or two for around $600. 200 round magazine full of .22 LR joygasms!

Go Claire Redfield on em!
AND KICK SOME UNDEAD BUTT!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't own a FN Herstal FNP-9, but I've heard they're excellent, as well as Hi-Point 9mms.

Personally, though, Glocks are the greatest there is. Once I shot 500 rounds at the range without cleaning it and the barrel was still pristine, without a jamb either...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
For someone who doesn't know a lot about guns. I recommended a 12 gauge shotgun, and any of several .45 revolvers. They are easier to clean and operate, little to no misfiring compared to a semi-auto handgun.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join