It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Dawn 2010 release may be delayed indefinitely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hmmm...I am sure we could make a conspiracy out of this one.

Obama and crew doesn't want an anti communist film released to further stir up the hornets nest of us angry patriots maybe? It seems China was hopping mad over this being made. Some of the propaganda art is eerily similar to what we saw out of his campaign in 2008, as we all know how soviet-esque it was.

www.slashfilm.com...

[edit on 11-6-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
OMG really? I loved the original. Kinda made me feel a little more patriotic.

We can have aliens come and destroy us humans but when we're brought an alternative dimension movie its a no go? I bet if they changed the bad guys into mexicans there wouldnt be a big problem...im not racist or nothin im just saying...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Down load the torrent and get a copy of it for free. Its not like they can stop the copies that are in circulation already. Someone somewhere had the dvd and put it on a torrent sight somewhere. I'd bet on it.

Its not an anti-communism movie anyway. Its the relationship of a group of high school kids who succeed in becoming guierilla fighters set against the back drop of an invasion of the USA. At the end of the movie one of the key communist military leaders (i believe Cuban) has an epiphony and releasizes the wrongness of what he's done.

The US pushes the invading forces out and wins the war.

Its a war movie.

You could just as easily plug Nazi's and Japanese into it and set it in the 40's. The fact that it is Commi's is because the cold war was in full swing.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by wdkirk]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
Down load the torrent and get a copy of it for free. Its not like they can stop the copies that are in circulation already. Someone somewhere had the dvd and put it on a torrent sight somewhere. I'd bet on it.

Its not an anti-communism movie anyway. Its the relationship of a group of high school kids who succeed in becoming guierilla fighters set against the back drop of an invasion of the USA. At the end of the movie one of the key communist military leaders (i believe Cuban) has an epiphony and releasizes the wrongness of what he's done.

Its a war movie.

You could just as easily plug Nazi's and Japanese into it and set it in the 40's. The fact that it is Commi's is because the cold war was in full swing.

Give me the link. I mean if it's canceled I don't think the moviemakrs will release it

[edit on 11-6-2010 by starwarsisreal]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk

Its a war movie.

ummm....communist countries invade the U.S., put it 's citizens in "re-education" camps, and execute many of them, no thats not an anti-communist movie.

If you make a movie showing the negatives of any political ideology, movement, group of people, etc, etc, and depict valiant "freedom" fighters taking them on and winning, its an "anti" movie .

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by I_am_Spartacus

I wouldn't call it an anti communist film at all, it's more like a home grown militia film, complete with an invading power, with several other power's minions as an army, the high school boys who escape the first parachute soldiers falling into the school yard and goes to the mountains. They later go to a trusted friend who supplies them and give them two young girls for safekeeping. The children become hard, and cold killers as they try to avenge the excursions of their parents by killing Russians and Nigerians, one who remembers when he was the partisan in another war in another time. The enemy doesn't really matter for the film's success, it's rather the story of the kids fighting a large and powerful enemy.

[edit on 6/11/10 by autowrench]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
If I had to guess, I'd say its probably a purely corporate decision based on perceptions of public taste, etc. Maybe they've decided that people don't want to watch something that grim given the miserable state of world politics, economics, etc. Although ATS is full of connoisseurs of doom and gloom, most people have a more simplistic and escapist mentality in hard times. Perhaps they figure it isn't going to be a moneymaker and that's all there is to it.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I bet if you took a poll here, the vast majority would consider this bad news.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Oh for God's sakes. Really?

The problem you see is that China isn't enough of a badass yet for this movie to be released. When the original came out (one of my favorite movies of all time btw) the Soviets were at the very least putting on enough of a front to where the majority of their informed populace and Politburo thought police pretty much just rolled their eyes. We clapped when that kid shouted "Wolverines" from the mountaintop while those in the U.S.S.R. who were aware just did a facepalm.

China, even in her own mind, hasn't achieved "facepalm" status just yet... hence, their feelings are hurt and craptastic MGM doesn't have the balls.

If their entire economy doesn't collapse, just give China another year or so... then it won't be "too soon." Though I'm all for maintaining international relations and supportive of those who bow to the feelings of others, I will simply utter "wusses" under my breath until then.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_am_Spartacus
reply to post by silent thunder

I bet if you took a poll here, the vast majority would consider this bad news.

Yup, put me in the "I want this movie made" line.
A year or so ago, I'd heard that they were going to do a remake of Red Dawn and I thought for sure they'd ruin it. But after seeing the story line I think this one would be great to see.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well I hope everyone like watching reruns. At this rate there will not be any new movies of any kind for fear of upsetting some one.
I guess they might as well not make the "ET Returns" movie I heard about or we may get a nasty letter from Planet X.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
they should make a movie about the US bombing, invading and slaughtering the civilians in another country. oh wait.............

3rd line

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Never mind the remake ... they should just release the original with a good ad campaign, and maybe some extra footage. I bet it would do amazingly well.

"Wolverines!!!!!!!"

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Alinsky's tactics were based, not on Stalin's revolutionary violence, but on the Neo-Marxist strategies of Antonio Gramsci, an Italian Communist. Relying on gradualism, infiltration and the dialectic process rather than a bloody revolution, Gramsci's transformational Marxism was so subtle that few even noticed the deliberate changes.

Like Alinsky, Mikhail Gorbachev followed Gramsci, not Lenin. In fact, Gramsci aroused Stalins's wrath by suggesting that Lenin's revolutionary plan wouldn't work in the West. Instead the primary assault would be on Biblical absolutes and Christian values, which must be crushed as a social force before the new face of Communism could rise and flourish.

www.crossroad.to...

1963 COMMUNIST GOALS FOR AMERICA
www.rense.com...

Just for the record,Communism simply changed tactics. It's already here.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by area6
Never mind the remake ... they should just release the original with a good ad campaign, and maybe some extra footage. I bet it would do amazingly well.

"Wolverines!!!!!!!"

They could just edit obamas face onto the Nicaraguan Generals body and it may surpass Avatar.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The original was a garbage film, I can't imagine they would make this crap pile any better today. What are they going to use? Muslim Terrorists?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by I_am_Spartacus

MGM is having financial difficulties and there are more movies delayed than this one. The Hobbit and James Bond 23 are among the many others that are in production limbo until Warner Brothers buys or someone else gets the rights to these movies. No conspiracy accept for a studio that has had problems for over 40 years.

While I am not a fan of this movie, it will be released as soon as MGM gets out of its doldrums.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I am with you on the original being a terrible movie. I cannot get over the illogical plot of invading the middle of nowhere with no tactical support.

Then there are those who call critics of this film pro Communist, when we are just spotting a badly done movie.

While I am against retreads, they can only improve this dung heap.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Aww Snap, that isn't good.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As I remember hearing, the remake was going to deal with Mideast extremists (though not sure how that would work with an invasion idea)...

I tend to agree that China would be the logical choice, for a remake, as the invading power.

As for the plot of the first one, having just re-watched bits of this the other day, the Soviets had done a full-scale invasion... This area, was just an example of the type of resistance they encountered.

In fact, most of the soldiers were Cuban mercs. (the commander was Russian, as I recall).

Still, it was the classic "feel-good" movie of the 80's, designed to get the audience cheering for the heroes....those aren't always the best for intricate plots...

new topics

top topics

join