It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with the Non-Stop Reagan Coverage already!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

"One of the greatest leaders in American History" is one I heard on CNN.

What about all that colluding with thugs in Guatemala, "voodoo economics", huge budget deficits, toasting dictator Ferdinand Marcos, getting cozy with fascist generals in Argentina, tax credits for segregated schools, "homeless by choice," Manuel Noriega, "constructive engagement" with apartheid South Africa, the invasion of Grenada, assassination manuals, silence on AIDS, tax cuts for the rich, massacres in El Salvador, the Iran/Contra scandal, laying a wreath at a German war cemetery where SS soldiers were buried ...

I'm not saying he was bad person, or even a bad president, but what the HECK is all this hero adoration out of the blue? Is it because he got Alzheimer's toward the end and people feely all misty about that?

It's like people believe that he singlehandedly wiped Communism off the planet, and toppled the USSR. Even though the USSR was already beginning to collapse under the weight of their military spending and imploding economy and corruption when Reagan BEGAN office, The Gipper did hisself, see?

Is it just that it's been so long since a good American state funeral? Somebody tell me, please!

Find me ONE person who hasn't at one point in time made concessions, offered deals or dealt under the table, starting with the first president. Government is what it has always been...you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Since people can't seem to be able to co-exist without some form of government then we shouldn't expect perfection.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm agreeing.

I think that 24 hour coverage on C-span would be something that I wouldn't argue about...and here is the reason i think it would be okay there. Some of us work and that would give us the chance to see things we missed during the various ceremonies.

But as far as the rest of the news stations I have to tell you guys - I stopped watching them years ago. The only time I give them my attention is when there is something critical going on. Like when the invasion started, I was riveted then, but their useless otherwise.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Netstorm, perhaps a stupid question but you don't actually live on Easter Island? The Rapa Nui are an interesting people and a good study in what happens when land is overused beyond the level it can sustain people at.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
In my mind, a far more tragic death has occurred this week, we've lost the essence of soul, Ray Charles. His art has touched far more people, in a far more lasting way, than any president of any nation ever will.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think its too much, All the UK news channels are covering it
i was hoping to watch news about the elections in the UK. but i can't cause i have to put up with this! I feel sorry for Nancy Reagan, she should of been given some private time. I have a feeling this will go on for weeks now

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Well said Sir. I agree with what you say, as for those "tired of Reagan", perhaps the coverage is a little bit too much, but you know, there is this button on your remote, it says Channel ..use it, better yet there is one called Power....push it.

lol, I can't help but notice the "Sir", are you always this respectful, or just suckin' up to the Mods?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
In my mind, a far more tragic death has occurred this week, we've lost the essence of soul, Ray Charles.

His art has touched far more people, in a far more lasting way, than any president of any nation ever will.

Yeah, this one hits me hard...I loved Ray Charles. "And another Spanish Angel..."

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
His art has touched far more people, in a far more lasting way, than any president of any nation ever will.

SPOT ON!!! Well said, I couldn't agree more. I know we're not supposed to do the old "I agree" reply but that just has to be said.

I fail to see how Reagan deserves anymore air time than Ray Charles did, he created music that will live within peoples hearts forever whilst Reagan did...ermmm...never mind.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
There was some channel last night that was just showing a stationary camera fixed on the casket...it was showing the same thing this morning. Who the hell is watching a dead guy in a box for hour after hour, day after day?

This was also done while President Kennedy lay in state. I can remember watching the changing of the Honor Guard. There was NO PROGRAMMING for three days on any channel.
Actually, we are lucky. The alternative to watching coverage of the whole Kennedy thing was a blank screen and appropriate music. Of course, he was assassinated and times are different.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I feel sorry for Nancy Reagan, she should of been given some private time. I have a feeling this will go on for weeks now

She will have her private time to grieve.
She and the President have planned this event a long time ago. I've heard every detail was planned.
I doubt it will go on at all once he is in the ground this evening.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
1. It is said that Ronnie Raygun planned all these detailed funereal arrangements while in office.

2. The full-on media coverage is in part a show and a distraction for Europe as well as for the US, providing an old world image of "royalty" where it no longer exists.

I wonder if anyone has watched the entire proceedings.

R.I.P.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

I wonder if anyone has watched the entire proceedings.

I've watched most of it, and the entire service at the National Cathedral. We watched the funeral on C-SPAN. Imagine being allowed to watch without unnecessary editorial comment.

It was a relief not to hear Tom, Chirs or any of the others with their drivel. TV news is soooooo rude.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
One thing is to morn a death president, and give him respect. But another one is having his passing over and over, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And like another person, people tend to see only the good even if that person was rotten.

And about the video fix on the casket who knows maybe the media was wishing him to resuscitate and walk around.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ok im sure not to be popular for saying this - but RR did enough to bring the cold war to a close - least in my book. Now he is dead we at least should show some respect - as for the royalty issue - Lady Diana's mother died this week and that has preoccupied the UK media.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
One thing is to morn a death president, and give him respect. But another one is having his passing over and over, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And like another person, people tend to see only the good even if that person was rotten.

Yes, but that does not apply in this case marg. He wasn't rotten. My opinion was as high of him when he was my President as it is right now.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
People want him to be remebered. He was a great man, and they report about him, and they might just not have anything else to report about
. Remeber 9/11? That's all you herd on the news for about a month. Really got on my nerves!

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Valhall
Do not get ofended at my selection of world I am talking about rotten in general no Reagan as the only person.

As a expresident occurs he deserve respect

[edit on 11-6-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm going to have to agree, its nice to hear about his great achievements and put him in the younger people's minds, but I hate hearing about all this death and destruction on the news all the time. I would rather have documentaries about his life running all the channels and the government channels focusing on his funeral, but everything else should touch on it, but there is way too much focus on his DEATH on a lot of the channels. I can't even watch them right, its the same thing over and over again, HE's DEAD.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cultureshock

Well said Sir. I agree with what you say, as for those "tired of Reagan", perhaps the coverage is a little bit too much, but you know, there is this button on your remote, it says Channel ..use it, better yet there is one called Power....push it.

lol, I can't help but notice the "Sir", are you always this respectful, or just suckin' up to the Mods?

No Sir, I always speak this way , have no need to suck up to anyone, for any reason. Respect, and Honor have always been in my life and always will be,.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian
Netstorm, perhaps a stupid question but you don't actually live on Easter Island? The Rapa Nui are an interesting people and a good study in what happens when land is overused beyond the level it can sustain people at.

Randomly moving about the universe my good friend. Here there everywhere

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join