It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with the Non-Stop Reagan Coverage already!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Forgive me if this upsets anyone. and for the record Ronald Reagan was indeed a great man and a good President and one of a few people who could give the spoken word real meaning.. BUT DAMN!

Do we need 24 hours 7 days of NON-STOP coverage on TV media?

There are a great deal of important events going on in the U.S.A. and the world and every time I tune to the news networks all I see are the same damned video segments about Reagan and they just keep saying the same things over and over.. they even had a half hour discussion over what people were wearing at at the time Reagan's body was in the capital.. I mean come on.

Is this not too much or is it just me??

Gazz

[edit on 11-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The bought and paid media is really letting us down this month.

I turned off the TV and listened to NPR for a couple hours this morning, and guess what.... NEWS DOES EXIST!

Found out about this crisis, posted it... Latest Medicare Revision Cost to Seniors

...and no one still cares.

I'm increasingly of the notion that fear of upsetting advertisers (which includes politicians these days) is ruining the news. Yet they still bash NPR funding.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Wellllll, Gazz...
This is par for the course with the media. Remember when JFK, jr dropped his plane into the ocean? The First Gulf War? The 2nd Gulf War? WTC on 9/11?

Granted these are all important events. But 24/7 on every station? They are afraid one will one-up the other or get better ratiangs...so it is the almighty dollar, again.

I think they should rotate coverage of these events, and take them out of the ratings game.
Don't forget, it's not just this event that we are being inundated with

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
You are not alone I assure you!!

I honestly can't stand how dramatic they are making this whole thing. I understand the idea about honoring the death thing and yes he was our president once and even an actor with a couple well done Western Films, and so on and so forth. By all means, mourn and pay your respects. However, it has been DAYS of nothing but Reagan News, Reagan Time line on the Morning shows, Commercials talking about Ex-Pres. Reagan who has passed away and there will be a mini-series of his last few years coming u next. Reagan on the News Papers, on the Late Show, Special Look through the Life of Reagan Specials, Nancy Reagan going from one place to another Updates, etc...

It's like the movie 'Being John Malchovich, where the only word I am starting to hear and face that I see is Reagan. "Reagan, Reagan?? Reagan Reagan Reagan.....Ahhh....Reagan. Ha Ha Ha Ha...Reaaaagannnn....Reagan Reagan!!! Uhhhmmmmm.................Reagan."
Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Alright, already.

I'm not trying to down play an important man or stopping anyone paying respect or anything. I would just like some news coverage about topics other than Reagan too, ya know. We have a whole Crew of Mob Criminal Wacko's in the White house, a War, Terrorism, Mad Cow, Economic Collapse, Layoff's in Education AGAIN! and many other things which I'm sure haven't stopped on account of Reagan!! So while I'm touched that every weatherman and news reporter is moved to tears over this great man, I think it's time to MOVE ON!!! I realize they're probably getting paid to 'Stall' any real news as long as possible by the criminals who own their pathetic souls already, but come on, you can only get so much milk from one Teet before things start getting sore!!

[edit on 11-6-2004 by mOjOm]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'm tempted to fly to D.C. and hook the bastard back up to life support myself just so we can stop talking about him.

Its one endless verbal blowjob.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
It's like the movie 'Being John Malchovich, where the only word I am starting to hear and face that I see is Reagan. "Reagan, Reagan?? Reagan Reagan Reagan.....Ahhh....Reagan. Ha Ha Ha Ha...Reaaaagannnn....Reagan Reagan!!! Uhhhmmmmm.................Reagan."
Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Alright, already.

Oh God it is like that. I'm laughing so hard at that little image (Reagen heads on babies nursing at Reagen faced women) and while doing so, Jack Cafferty is STILL talking at me about Reagen. Reagen, Reagen, Reagen, Reagen...if you say it enough, it loses all meaning! Kind of like overdoing the honors. Public funeral, private funeral, state funeral, accolades in DC, the California version, Thatcher remembers, here's another old guy that knew him...and like on the Daily Show last night...prepare for next weeks Reagen Coverage Remembered: The week in coverage of the man that died week before last Oh God, he'll be on everything before this is over. Reagen currency. Tatoos. That's the mark of the Beast now isn't it? 666 R-O-N-A-L-D W-I-L-S-O-N R-E-A-G-E-N? The 80's prophecies have come true!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Ronald Reagan Talking Doll
Press the button on his back to hear him say 11 phrases in his own voice. Makes a great gift. The President Ronald Reagan doll stands 12 inches tall. This talking Reagan Doll is sure to sell out.

Below are only a few of the 11 different phrases that the Ronald Reagan Action figure says when you press his button.

Batteries Included.

"...You and I have a rendezous with destiny..."

"...I will not make age an issue of this campaign...I am not goining to exploit for political purposes my opponents youth and experience..."

"...Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall..."

"...I have only one thing to say to the tax increasers...go ahead and make my day..."

"...They try to keep track of them...but Federal Grants are like Rabbits...they multiply like crazy and when they are out you can't catch them..."

MAKE IT STOP!

"JUST SAY NO" TO MORE REAGEN!!!

[edit on 11-6-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Oh God it is like that. I'm laughing so hard at that little image (Reagen heads on babies nursing at Reagen faced women) and while doing so, Jack Cafferty is STILL talking at me about Reagen. Reagen, Reagen, Reagen, Reagen...if you say it enough, it loses all meaning! Kind of like overdoing the honors. Public funeral, private funeral, state funeral, accolades in DC, the California version, Thatcher remembers, here's another old guy that knew him...and like on the Daily Show last night...prepare for next weeks Reagen Coverage Remembered: The week in coverage of the man that died week before last Oh God, he'll be on everything before this is over. Reagen currency. Tatoos. That's the mark of the Beast now isn't it? 666 R-O-N-A-L-D W-I-L-S-O-N R-E-A-G-E-N? The 80's prophecies have come true!

Yes, you may be right. The moment I hear someone use both 'Reagan' & 'Low Carb.' within the same sentence, I am going to draw blood!!

I know it will happen eventually too. That my friend will truly be the sign of the end, and the complete cycle of McKenna's TimeWave Zero, as Novelty within the Universe is certainly done! It will then time for the harvest of souls, and just in case things don't Start right away in the Divine way it's supposed to, I will just have to fill in and kinda get things warmed up so to speak. Ya know, until the Big Guys get here and take over.

[edit on 11-6-2004 by mOjOm]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
The moment I hear someone use both 'Reagan' & 'Low Carb.' within the same sentence, I am going to draw blood!!

I know it will happen eventually too. That my friend will truly be the sign of the end, and the complete cycle of McKenna's TimeWave Zero, as Novelty within the Universe is certainly done!

THAT right there is why ATS is the greatest web destination IN THE UNIVERSE! Where else can you get dead on obscure commentary like that and have the entire audience see your point perfectly?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The Daily Show made me think of the old SNL when Chevy Chase would say "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead". *L*

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
There was some channel last night that was just showing a stationary camera fixed on the casket...it was showing the same thing this morning. Who the hell is watching a dead guy in a box for hour after hour, day after day?

I'm telling you it is all a conspiracy to divert our attention while Reagan is being shipped through the Stargate to merge with a simbeot (sp?) to cure him.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Wellllll, Gazz...
This is par for the course with the media. Remember when JFK, jr dropped his plane into the ocean? The First Gulf War? The 2nd Gulf War? WTC on 9/11?

Granted these are all important events. But 24/7 on every station? They are afraid one will one-up the other or get better ratiangs...so it is the almighty dollar, again.

its the almighty rating, which brings in more dollars. this has nothing to do with politics, it has everything to do with a very prominent mans death and every media outlet insisting on covering this as much as possible to get as many viewers as possible.

and they are right about the coverage during 9/11 the gulf war, the war in iraq. in fact these things have been covered longer than this ever will be. months and months of coverage in iraq...i doubt they'll have that on reagan. so lets have some perspective here. a week compared to months is a short amount of time.

although there seems to be a lot of bitter people on this thread. 24 hour coverage? funny i was watching regular TV last night, dramatics and exaggeration are not needed here. yes they've covered him quite a bit but if you dont like it....watch a movie, change the channel (not everyone is covering it) or turn the idiot making machine off.

question for all those who arent happy about this coverage...would you feel the same if it was a politician you liked?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
M. Thatcher,
"The world mourns the passing of a great liberator."
How does any sane person get off speaking for the entire population of a planet?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cultureshock
M. Thatcher,
How does any sane person get off speaking for the entire population of a planet?

would you have prefered...

"some of us mourn your passing while others are too angry and hate filled to get over you even in death"???

the guy's dead, jeez. he'll be buried soon and all this coverage will go away, and some of you will still be angry bitter spiteful hateful people.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

the guy's dead, jeez. he'll be buried soon and all this coverage will go away, and some of you will still be angry bitter spiteful hateful people.

I must admit, I have very little respect for people who put words in the mouths of others, and pretend to know them personally. If it was up to you, would citizens be locked in prison for a touch of critisism?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Make no mistake. I respect the man, honor his service to the country, pity his fate, and mourn his loss. I am watching former Pres. Bush speaking at the service now.

The amount of air time this has gotten is astounding. This situation reminds me of another Daily Show bit, "Operation: Enduring Coverage." Jonna is right. The C-SPAN things is just nuts.

My minor form of protest involves this dialog. When some one asks me what I think of Reagan's death or funeral service, I reply, "What do you mean? She lived." Invariably that gets a puzzled look or comment, to which I say, "Oh! I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about Linda Blair's character in The Exorcist! Sorry..."

Then I am usually off the hook.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
usually I am addicted to news and spend my time flipping between FOX, CNN, and MSNBC, since yesterday, I've been watching HGTV and TLC. I don't think I will watch news till Monday, when hopefully all of this coverage gone overboard is done.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
And WHERE does all this mindless adulation come from? Is this the best evidence ever of the complete and utter whorishness of most TV news media?

"One of the greatest leaders in American History" is one I heard on CNN.

What about all that colluding with thugs in Guatemala, "voodoo economics", huge budget deficits, toasting dictator Ferdinand Marcos, getting cozy with fascist generals in Argentina, tax credits for segregated schools, "homeless by choice," Manuel Noriega, "constructive engagement" with apartheid South Africa, the invasion of Grenada, assassination manuals, silence on AIDS, tax cuts for the rich, massacres in El Salvador, the Iran/Contra scandal, laying a wreath at a German war cemetery where SS soldiers were buried ...

I'm not saying he was bad person, or even a bad president, but what the HECK is all this hero adoration out of the blue? Is it because he got Alzheimer's toward the end and people feely all misty about that?

It's like people believe that he singlehandedly wiped Communism off the planet, and toppled the USSR. Even though the USSR was already beginning to collapse under the weight of their military spending and imploding economy and corruption when Reagan BEGAN office, The Gipper did hisself, see?

Is it just that it's been so long since a good American state funeral? Somebody tell me, please!

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

Originally posted by cultureshock
M. Thatcher,

would you have prefered...

"some of us mourn your passing while others are too angry and hate filled to get over you even in death"???

Well said Sir. I agree with what you say, as for those "tired of Reagan", perhaps the coverage is a little bit too much, but you know, there is this button on your remote, it says Channel ..use it, better yet there is one called Power....push it.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think it's just like all the relatives coming out of the woodwork when a family member dies to say what a "great person they were, we're going to be lost without them" when they haven't seen them in 15 years something like that.

ok ok I get it, he was a nice man, now let him die for all our sanity. It's not like he had a hard life or anything, it was full of riches and I'm sure he can't complain. mOjOm, your Being John Malkovich comparison was spot on, it had me in stitches.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hey, the CSpan thing was cool in the sense you could actually catch the changing of the guard. That was all I wanted to see and it was worth the wait. My wife and I watched and laughed at the people in the rotunda. I think more people were worried about getting seen on camera than paying proper respects. Some of those people looked like the folks I'd see when driving through country roads in north Florida. How'd they get out?

But, after 25 minutes it does get old and almost morbid. Well, CSpan should win this week's ratings.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join