It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Exact same thread but more responses" Phenomena

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I really don't want this to seem like a rant, but rather a legitimate question to which I seek an answer. I won't post an example in the OP for now because I don't want to point fingers or blame anyone, but this is something that has piqued my interest, so here it is.

Why is it that someone can post a thread about a video or piece of news and receive little to no replies, only for someone else to open a new thread days or months later and receive an overwhelming response from the community and even make the front page? I don't want to just blame it on "not using the search function" but rather would like to know how this sort of phenomena occurs. Is it how one writes the title of the thread and how much it grabs another users attention?

Again, I don't want to seem like this is a flame post, but perhaps I am a tad jealous that some threads I post don't get noticed and are only a page long only for the exact same topic or video to be covered again and the receive 60 plus flags? How does this happen? (I mean this in an honest way, as in is there an explanation for this phenomenon?) I know I'm not the only victim of this, so I don't want this to be a pity party.

So ATS, can someone explain this phenomenon?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

Yes, any good editor will tell you, you need an "attention grabbing" headline.

Also remember the first part of your post also appears on the board.

Pick the spiciest piece from the topic to put there....Even if it gets repeated later in the thread it doesn't matter....

Though in honesty, I dont think everyone is chasing stars and flags.
I do like getting stars though, simply because that usually means my post is appreciated...

BTW, s&f

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

And if you want stars you picked the wrong forum..

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I am really new here, so my theory could be way off, but does the time of day make any difference? I am not working, and have gotten addicted to this site, so I am on it off and on all day long, and it seems like when I read the ATS firehoses in the morning, hardly any of them get many responses. Although that would mean more people from the North American time zones are the ones posting most often.
It starts to get more interesting in the afternoon, and then by the evening, lots of threads seem to get lots of replies.
Just something I have noticed over the last few days.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Good point..I'm in Australia so my time zone is WAY off the majority of ATS members...Sad because I am not online when most post on my thread, therefore I'm not there to debate with most..

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It could also be that at the start of the first post, nobody is really familiar with the subject, but after doing research and a lot of reading, one comes to understand the subject and give a better, more informed opinion?

My 2 cents....

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I think it might be a combination of 3 things (2 already mentioned).

1. The title

2. Time of day

3. What other more important news might be around the same day, therefore getting more attention because its current or something the majority is interested in.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129
reply to post by snowspirit

Good point..I'm in Australia so my time zone is WAY off the majority of ATS members...Sad because I am not online when most post on my thread, therefore I'm not there to debate with most..

I was just looking at the world time zones. 8:45 PM Friday for me right now, early Saturday afternoon for you. It looks like much of the English speaking world is sleeping through a large part of your day.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Thanks guys for all the responses. I do believe time of day does matter as the board is by majority, American, along with the sensationalism used to grab attention.

One thing that does bug me though is that I come looking for a legitimate explanation and it gets moved to BTS. What's the deal mods? I specifically said I didn't want this to be a rant?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
OP -

Are you thinking of this (as an example)

Your topic search found 2 matching threads. new search

Lost Generation - Prepare to be amazed - *Video*
Posted on June 11, 2010 by franspeakfree with 56 replies, 0 views, 71 flags.
The last reply was on June 11, 2010.
Locate all threads or all posts authored by ATS member franspeakfree.

Our Lost Generation
Posted on May 30, 2010 by For(Home)Country with 15 replies, 0 views, 4 flags.
The last reply was on June 11, 2010.
Locate all threads or all posts authored by ATS member For(Home)Country.

Totally understand your frustration, in this case. So many things come down to timing. That's the best explanation I've got. In a situation like this - I would have posted a link on the new thread linking to the original thread and alerting the new thread author that this video had already been posted.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Also, if infact someone posts a similar thread then the Mods should close it and link back to the first thread...

Problem is Mods cant be everywhere at once...

I dont think it would be selfish to alert a mod that a thread already existed.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The same thread can exist in different sections/categories. For some reason
some categories get more attention than others. Breaking Alternative news is usually the hot ticket to thread success.

Timing is important and bumping your own thread at the right time can kickstart it and give it new life. Also including video's and photos help.

And let's be honest shall we. There is a star structure on ATS and the "stars" have a following. Usually their threads are well thought out and constructed. That helps their threads to prevail while others languish or are transferred somewhere else to sort of put them out of their misery.

I've also noticed that members with brightly colored avatars or animation tend to get more attention. I used a classic plain background for years and got no respect. Also imagery of skulls and muscular men for some reason get a lot of responses.

Internet marketing is a mystery. I could be just letting the whiskey be talking now. And I've got another short set.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Also keep in mind that here, just like the rest of the world, there are popularity contests going on...

And remember that similar threads can co-exist as long as one is in the breaking/alternative news forum. (Whaaa beat me to it)

I have a theory about the time issue as well. I think new threads posted between 1-2 pm (CST) have the best chance at succeeding.

I cannot reveal any proof of that, just trust me

Having got through all that nonsense believe one thing - CONTENT matters most here. I've seen the goofiest, misspelled titles go straight to the top...because they were good threads.

Oops...I forgot one more factor-

L U C K

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I was wondering the same thing about that thread. I even jumped in early to inform them the first video was posted a month ago, which seemed to get the copycat poster all steamed up because I got yelled at by them. After I posted the link to the original ongoing discussion thread about the first video, along with three other links to the ongoing discussions about the second video in the thread in question, it still remained open.

Later when I noticed the copycat thread was still open and ran up quite a number of S&F's, I thought wow somebody totally got ripped off on that.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
yeah it blows my mind that a thread like - So when does the chit chat start has gone on to over a hundred pages. Its not such a complex loaded with deep knowledge to make everyone go
. Its just a simple post man, come on. Give it a rest already.

If I had written it, it might have gotten three replies and fallen into oblivion. I smell a conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I dont think it would be selfish to alert a mod that a thread already existed.

Sound advice. We'd lock the thread that came later, with a direct to the existing thread.

Title and time of day are likely the most likely reasons though....

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

yes, i have wondered the same. i check most days the recent posts and lately i have observed a lot of small minded or pointless subjects that require little or no intelligence.

of course, i think my threads are well thought out and absolutely bursting with intelligence! (lol)

i am now wondering if more and more people are burned out with the serious stuff like israeli behaviour, gulf oil scenario and the warmongering about iran, and want to escape into some fantasy.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

Same, I have put up a couple in breaking news, woke up 10 hours later, my post is now scrapped off to the corner for the cat, and a slightly different news heading has heaps of posts.

Must be the accent or something!!!

MM

new topics

top topics

join