It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama and the fall of the Big 12 and a College Footall playoff system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
For anyone not paying attention to the College Football landscape, the Big 12 is basically imploding. The Pac-10 and Big 10 are getting these teams from the Big 12 left and right. Some may leave for the SEC.

Its no secret that Obama is a huge sports nut. He has been preaching that NCAA Football has been needing to go to a playoff system since being elected. He backs it and he is even endorsing it. The College Football landscape is wanting to form into 3 Super Conferences and rumor is, go to a playoff system.

So is it a coincidence that a College Football landscape that was very adamant about NOT going to a playoff system and saying how it loves the bowl system, is in fact, now thinking about going to a playoff system during Obama's presidency? I think not.

As sad is it sounds, this may very well be the greatest accomplishment during Obama's presidency thus far.

Here are some links related to the above that gives it some substance:

Obama wants what's best for America: a college football playoff

President-elect Obama makes another play for college football playoff

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Maybe we should stop putting so much money and effort into sports that do nothing but distract. Just sayin, it's fun and all, but our world is falling apart.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkeydishwasher
Maybe we should stop putting so much money and effort into sports that do nothing but distract. Just sayin, it's fun and all, but our world is falling apart.

Distraction is not necessarily bad, and sports do a lot more than just distract. Sports teach kids valuable lessons. They provide a means to stay in shape and promote a healthy living style. Kids involved in sports learn early on how to set goals and then work hard to achieve them. They also teach kids how to deal with failure. Sports help to mold kids into adults with a sound body and mind.

I'll agree that we (as a society) probably put a bit more emphasis on sports than we should, but i would much rather the spotlight be on LeBron James than Paris Hilton.

Back to the subject of the OP... Yes, i do think it is just a coincidence. I do not think Obama's presidency has affected the conference realignment and the probable emergence of "super-conferences".

As a big college football fan, i have followed this pretty closely. If you remember, college athletics started out with "superconferences" and then they broke apart into much smaller ones. Now they are clustering back together it seems.

Eventually, the conferences will change again, as it suits the football or basketball landscape in the future.

Now... where's Aggieman? come on over to the SEC, we'd love to have ya!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It is strange isn't it. I doubt Obama has anything to do with it but maybe he does. I know (even as an Alabama fan) I have always wanted the playoffs in College Football. I think what we are seeing is more than likely the Big 10 and PAC 10 wanting to get competition up for the SEC.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Well, when the President speaks, people will listen.

Maybe the commissioners of these conferences are listening.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

wow..... how bout giving some of that money to the thousands of families in Michigan that worked their whole life to buy a house for thief family and now it's jus being taken away from them... or how about all the kids in these familys that go hungry every night just dreaming of a meal that Obama eats regularly and dosnt even pay no mind... or how bout me because i've been layed off for 8 months and get 286 dollars every two freaking weeks to pay off a car house and bills... it's sad... reallly frickin sad...this wasn't jus aimed at Obama but really ever political A- HOLE that wastes money on stupid things

top topics

join