It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something hit Jupiter. or did it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
something hit Jupiter. or did it?
“June 11, 2010: On June 3rd, 2010, something hit Jupiter. A comet or asteroid descended from the black of space, struck the planet's cloud tops, and disintegrated, producing a flash of light so bright it was visible in backyard telescopes on Earth. Soon, observers around the world were training their optics on the impact site, waiting to monitor the cindery cloud of debris which always seems to accompany a strike of this kind.

They're still waiting.

"It's as if Jupiter just swallowed the thing whole," says Anthony Wesley of Australia, one of two amateur astronomers who recorded the initial flash. The other, Christopher Go of the Philippines, says "it was thrilling to see the impact, but the absence of any visible debris has got us scratching our heads."
Indeed, it is a bit of a puzzle. "We've seen things hit Jupiter before," says planetary scientist Glenn Orton of JPL, "and the flash of impact has always been followed by some kind of debris."
So where is the debris this time?
A possibility offered by some observers is that the flash wasn't an impact at all. Maybe Go and Wesley witnessed a giant Jovian lightning bolt.”

science.nasa.gov...

could it be a big volcano?
a nuclear weapon of some sort?
or alien ship blowing up?
have to keep an eye on what they say or will they cover it up.
I bet we never find out.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Perhaps it was the type of rock that hit jupiter* thiers iron meteors and asteroids, and some are just rock*, being less dense. The less dense rock would explode of course. The heavier rock made with metals in it, would for sure continue till it hit something solid or at least, go WAY deeper into the Jovian atmosphere under its clouds before melting/exploding*
maybe thats a possible cause?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I do not at all, think that was lightning. As far as science of Jupiter shows us, and spacecraft that have gone thier, lightning on jupiter is ONLY visible on its night side in the dark, not in full view of the sunlight. Same with its rings, but at an agle backlit by the sun*
that is a perfect circle, the supopsed impact light. LIghtning does not anywhere in the solar system, produce a globular light like that. Nuclear weapons do though, in earth atmospheric testing in the 50's and 60's.
It aint lightning your looking at int he pics and footage* I think, it was something to do with the composition of the object OR the angle it was traveling in at when it detonated in the JOvian atmosphere. An angle so narrow, along with physics and the physics of jupiters atmosphere and gravity, simply caused it to light up the way it did.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
a nuclear weapon of some sort?
or alien ship blowing up?
have to keep an eye on what they say or will they cover it up.
I bet we never find out.

great science news item..could use more like this on ATS.

I appreciate it..I rely on the members of ATS to give me the cool news of the day. star..and flag

but don't wreck your very, very interesting post by throwing in goofiness.

likely a comet or something factual and explainable hit jupiter...not little green men.

no need to sell this story ..it will sell itself....

new topics

top topics

join