It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 dead in Arkansas flooding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

20 dead in Arkansas flooding

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- At least 20 people died at an Arkansas campground after heavy rain and flash flooding Friday, and many more could be trapped in the area, state authorities said.

Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe said there's word from the Red Cross that there could have been as many as 300 people in the rugged Albert Pike campground area of western Arkansas, but he said there is no registration that would show the precise number.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Too many terrible events are occuring. This is sad. There is 20 Dead, and 36 to be considered missing.

I hope they will locate this missing. In the article a man awoke to hear screams around 2am in the morning of families with children as young as 4 yrs old running for safety on higher grounds.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yea I was eyeing this article today. Very sad...I'm surprised no one has said anything. However I sometimes try to put things into perspective. That is 50 people out of 300 million. Still sad though hopefully disasters like this will be less frequent.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I live about 30 minutes from there. While we didn't have any flooding here it is quite common. We did get quite a bit of rain last night.

Pretty sad situation indeed.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: 33 Arkansas counties are under a tornado warning, National Weather Service says

NEW: 25 counties in Tennessee are under a tornado watch, weather service says

Source

Things are escalading fast, I hope everyone will be able to get to a safe place.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: 33 Arkansas counties are under a tornado warning, National Weather Service says

Things are escalading fast, I hope everyone will be able to get to a safe place.

You know I am wondering (&may Tha Loc can help) is it always like this in the summer? Are there always floods, tornados, and freak hail storms???

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

I dont know honestly, it is ofcourse natural that these events happen, but when they do its always devastating.

Not only that, but numerous counties in Tenessee and Arkansa have been issued Flood and Tornado Warnings.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Quick Update.

Emergency management officials had put the death toll at 20 but revised the figure to 16 later Friday.

Hope that number doesnt rise. But there are people still missing, and also some that are trapped.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well the saying here is "if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes".

We often get hail in the middle of summer, I think more often than in the winter.

Tornadoes here are frequent and usually deadly.

The city I'm in is in a valley surrounded by mountains, that generally keeps tornadoes out of this area but not always. The ones that do get in this area generally "ping pong" around off the mountains.

Fairly common weather for these parts.

Here's some info on tornadoes here...

Tornadoes in Arkansas

From 1997 through 2007, tornadoes in Arkansas killed fifty-six people, injured 964, and caused approximately $700 million in damage. Notable tornado outbreaks of the recent period include a February 5, 2008, strike in which an EF-4 tornado tore a 123-mile-long path through seven counties in north-central Arkansas, killing twelve, injuring at least 140, and damaging or destroying 880 homes and 100 businesses. This path set an Arkansas record for length and is one of the longest verified tracks in U.S. history

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin
You know I am wondering (&may Tha Loc can help) is it always like this in the summer? Are there always floods, tornados, and freak hail storms???

I live in a different part of the state, but yes, nasty weather is pretty common in Arkansas and it can and does happen in any month of the year. Floods, tornadoes, hail, and anything else associated with severe storms are nothing out of the ordinary. As an example, I've seen the small town near where I grew up completely wiped out by tornadoes twice in the last 15 years.

top topics

join