It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy loses Four Underwater Robots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

The Navy lost four submersible unmanned drones over the weekend in the Chesapeake Bay near Norfolk, Va., and is asking the public for help in finding the errant torpedo shaped drones. Communication was lost with four of the 13 undersea drones on Sunday as they were scanning the sea floor for mines as part of a training exercise.

The Navy said the search continued today and they are thinking of using dolphins and sea lions trained to hunt for mines to aid in the search. The Navy said the undersea drones are not a danger to civilians or the environment and asked boaters if they happen to spot one floating on the water to call the U.S. Second Fleet commander.

Read more: defensetech.org...
Defense.org

Well folks, there you have it! Our Navy loses four of their expensive drones.
I'm a little upset about this whole thing, mostly because I'd expect this to be a hard thing to just "lose". Aren't there tracking devices installed for instances such as this?
Still, I can't help but to chuckle at the whole situation. Luckily, the Navy is at least asking the public for help, rather than acting like they have the whole thing under control.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Ha!

I too think its pretty odd to just lose one of these things much less 4. You would think it would have a type of tracking system.

Also, if I found one I think I'd keep it.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm thinking that the mines got angry and fought back?

Second.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You would think the Navy would put pingers on there drones so sonar could find them if they got lost.
en.wikipedia.org...
rjeint.com...

When i was in the navy we put pingers on our mine sweep equipment.
and on our practice mines so we could find them if they became lost.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hey aren't they in charge of hanging on to nukes too?

Like an above poster stated though, at least they are being "honest" about it...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I wonder if these drones were lost, or if they were "lost... wink wink, nudge nudge." Maybe the CIA decided they wanted them for some reason.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Why do I have the feeling there is 4 navy drones
at the BP Explosion Site?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
Why do I have the feeling there is 4 navy drones
at the BP Explosion Site?

And one lodged into the remains of a sunken South Korean naval ship.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
at least they didnt attempt to deploy the survivors on a " rescue mission "

you can just imagine it

mission #0 [ training ] deployed - 13 , lost = 4
mission #1 [ rescue ] deployed - 9 . lost =3
mission #2 [ rescue ] deployed - 6 , lost = 2
mission #3 [ rescue ] deployed - 4 , lost = 1
mission #4 [ rescue ] deployed - 3 , lost = 1

my statistics isnt good enough to be bothered with the probabilitis of loss for subsequent missions

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
So I guess the test was a failure since they lost 1/3 of the drones?

Fastforward about 50 years and the headline would read....Navy loses 4 Cyborg drones during test and is asking the public to be on the lookout for the missing drones. Please do not approach the drones or they will MELT YOUR FACE OFF!!!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Let them flounder away like everyone else.
The technology is inadequate and flawed.

On the contrary, it was in the interest of the Government to preserver it, particularly as it would have made possible, to mention just one valuable result, the location of a submarine in any part of the world. My plant, services, and all my improvements have always been at the disposal of the officials and ever since the outbreak of the European conflict, I have been working at a sacrifice on several inventions of mine relating to aerial navigation, ship propulsion and wireless transmission, which are of the greatest importance to the country. Those who are well informed know that my ideas have revolutionized the industries of the United States and I am not aware that there lives an inventor who has been, in this respect, as fortunate as myself,—especially as regards the use of his improvements in the war.

www.lucidcafe.com...

Plain and simple denying Tesla with Einstein and using the quantum
transistor with low voltage DC is too weak to control anything.

Use the Ether DC of Tesla and get results any where any time.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Question, if said drone finds a mine and no one can find the drone what is the point

Number Two

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
EM waves might not work so well under water for a control mechanism.
Sonar control seems too difficult.
That leaves the ether control so guess something went wrong.
Automatic control like cruise missile might be possible.
Not much information technically due to secrecy of circuitry.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gatorboi117

it's nothing like all that, they were designed poorly and just dived straight to the bottom. just another case of the military and they're $10,000 hammers and $20,000 toilet seats

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gatorboi117

The Navy lost four submersible unmanned drones over the weekend in the Chesapeake Bay near Norfolk, Va., and is asking the public for help in finding the errant torpedo shaped drones.

Did they leave a number to call if we were to find one of them?

[edit on 19-6-2010 by In nothing we trust]

top topics

join