It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am evil-I laughed about the oil spill!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I am an evil jerk, don't care about the Planet, love big oil...I should rot in hell!
Or at least some people think so! I commited the mortal sin of e mailing a comedy video about the Gulf spill to friends and aquaintances. I won't post it here, or the mods will move this to BTS!
So.. apparently we must all act contrite and depressed and concerned about this 24 hours a day. Why? As if ACTING upset or not, will help? Will that stop the oil flow? Must we agonize about every freaking thing that happens? Do we need to take the blame for everything? Why do people insist that acting one way or the other would change anything about the spill, modern society, our use of oil, etc? It reminds me of superstition, :watch it or God will punish us more!
By the way mods, this isn't a rant! it's a philosophical/psychological question.
Why do "we" want to take the blame for things not under our control? Why are we so guilty about thing we didn't do?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Nah, you're not evil...if you were, you'd be on my foe list

There's a funny "how BP reacts to the spill" video going around, I just sent it to my friends and family.

If they can't see the humor in it then they'll get over it.

It's not like you were sending pics of oil-soaked birds with fried chicken recipes......Right?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Was it the Upright Citizen's Brigade? Coffee spill? It is a must watch, it is so true.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I am evil too - I remember I was happy when the Challenger blew up...particularly about the schoolteacher...

I remember seeing George Carlin on TV, and he was talking about how he always rooted for disasters ..."'ONE HUNDRED KILLED IN TUNNEL FIRE' - What, so few?"

I think the main reason people will call you evil for this type of thing is not because the feeling itself is unusual, but because you are being way too honest (for most people) by saying it out loud...the dominant American ideology/worldview requires you to lie constantly and simultaneously not notice that you're lying...too much work for me, hee-hee...

(You watch now, there will be subsequent posts pointing out how unsuitable and bad our two posts are, you betcha.)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Why do "we" want to take the blame for things not under our control?

see it this way: american consumers demand cheap gas at their pump-station. if its too expensive, they go to a different gas-company to buy their gas.
that puts all companies under pressure, pressure that sometimes forces mistakes like now in the gulf. so every consumer has a little fault, too.
solution would be something like fair-trade oil products. the higher fair price would pay for more security in drilling techs.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by icepack]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'm evil too, when I heard about that girl sailing round the world by herself who got lost I cracked up laughing and said "serves her right"...

We all have our cynical sides, part of us that hopes its all just doomed. Helps us cope with life I suppose.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

What kills me is the self righteousness that is going around!
I know someone who posted a dramatic blog about the blood of the Earth, how we must heal, not hurt, etc......yet this person USES a computer, lives in a house, uses electricity, drives a car, buys CD's etc. ALL of which is dependent on the OIL ECONOMY. So freaking what if you use a hemp shopping bag!!!
When things were based on steam power, did people go nuts every time a boiler exploded? When fires swept a city?
Why do people think feeling "bad" is doing something constructive?

[edit on 11-6-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I've chuckled thinking about a hurricane and it bringing and oily rain down when it hits.

Mainly because its ironic how everyone blames BP while ignoring their own gross consumption and addiction to oil. Like Sum 41 said we're all to blame.

I do think it would be a tragedy, albeit an ironically comical one if we do get oil rained down on us.

We've wanted oil so bad, well here it comes.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

It was the coffee spill...I confess.
Damn Me! Damn Me to Hell!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't think having a bit of a laugh over a disaster is evil...especially something like the oil spill. You have to laugh about it a little bit...to keep us all sane.

Now this on the otherhand:

I am evil too - I remember I was happy when the Challenger blew up...particularly about the schoolteacher...

That is evil...and a bit twisted.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by snowspirit

It was the coffee spill...I confess.
Damn Me! Damn Me to Hell!

Just watched it...I guess I'm evil too.

The ending was kind of sad though.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You have the right to laugh at a disaster. The thing about the planet, wildlife, and our source of foods is that it is taken for granted until it is gone.

Would agonizing make it better? No, but constantly sending letters to the white house about how pissed America is will help the situation. You see, even though the current administration is run by corporations they have a weakness. That weakness is the wrath of the American public.

They have corporations, we have b-list celebrities. They have the military, we have our skulls.

All in all, you may not be effected by this now but it will ripple to your wallet. You may not see it now but when you do, I am sure you will cry like some have.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Now this on the otherhand:

That is evil...and a bit twisted.

All kidding aside, I am a very bad man.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Oh for cryin out loud, if you're gonna talk about the video, at least post it for us to see:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Now there you go again!
Well, I do "get it"! Surprise! It's not like I'm pro oil contamination!
I understand the eco system!
And, I understand that the Universe goes on, no matter what.
I've had some horrible things happen ( really), ya know what, I'm still here, the sky is still blue and life is still good.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Now you did it you,...you...SPAWN OF SATAN!
Attenetion Universe! I did not post the video! he did!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
it's okay to be a jerk sometimes.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Though we disagree in pretty much everything... It's not Evil to have a bit of a larf
if Time+ tragedy = funny .... then you are just a little ahead of the curve.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Total failure! Please, somebody imbed monty Pythons's "bright side of life"!
I haven't time to deal with You Tube!

[edit on 11-6-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

I am evil-I laughed about the oil spill!
------------------------------------------------------------

Must we agonize about every freaking thing that happens?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

...... it's a philosophical/psychological question.
------------------------------------------------------

An evolutionary perspective on laughter regards it as a `false alarm` signal .

So for example, if we witness someone take a tumble down some stairs,
we may `permit` ourselves a little giggle once we realise that they haven`t injured themselves , and are now carrying on about their day.

Until the oil stop flowing this is a tragedy as yet unresolved and as such ,for many it is a no-go area for humour .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For what its worth - I don`t think you are evil , not from what i know of your personality gleaned over the months/years reading your posts .

Humour releases tension , one mans coping mechanism is another mans *misunderstood comedy e-mail. .... eh !

------------------
The protracted nature of this disaster ,coupled with the fact that there is no clear perception of a successful conclusion in sight , adds another odd/unique element . There is a helplessness associated with the Gulf Oil disaster, which sits uneasy with our modern expectations of ourselves and our ability to control our environment .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OldDragger :
Could you U2U the video to me ?

edit to add *
[edit on 11-6-2010 by UmbraSumus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join