It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kids Aren't Alright

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by empireofpain

hey, I'm the one who made the 'cold, dead hands' comment. And I agree with a lot of what you're saying.
One point i was trying to make is that this ISN'T a matter of left v. right. And you're 100% correct that not all youth, college educated or not, are Liberal. I'd say the split is no different than adults when it comes to political leanings.

I also (thought) I made it clear that I don't believe a job to be a RIGHT, however I do believe in the right to a reasonable opportunity for a job.
Now, things are harder than usual because of the recession. The job pool has shrunk, and employers are able to raise the bar to entry. The risk is that this bar won't be lowered back to reasonable expectations when the economy starts really recovering.

You're absolutely right about many in your generation feeling entitlement to the point that it's sickening. I'm just over a decade older than you, but I assure you that if I, as a teenager, DEMANDED my parents get me a cell phone two things would have happened: 1) They would laugh at me for the suggestion, and 2) they would slap me upside the head for being such a damn fool and demanding anything from them.
But now, not only do teenagers expect cell phones, but demand iPhones, or whatever the new hotness is. Part of the problem is your generation grew up not getting backhanded when they stepped out of line. (I'm not trying to insinuate that about you personally, just an observation about a lot of people your age).

I don't believe everyone is intelligent or competent enough to make a 6 figure income. Some people are destined to pump gas. It becomes a problem when you have people with degrees or better pumping gas.
And we wonder why there's a brain drain.

Whether you agree or disagree with the idea of a job as a right, with over 50% unemployment for people in our general age range a HUGE problem is looming.
Like I mentioned before, people will do whatever is needed to survive. If someone can't survive working a job, they'll find other means to survive (even if their definition of 'survive' means 'buy new xbox games). So they'll turn to theft, robbery, selling drugs.

I have no doubt that a lot of Conservatives/Republicans have been through hard times, my dad was/is one of them. But Republicans tend to trend towards the richer and whiter among us.

As for gun ownership: I'm not against gun ownership, although I don't think it should extend to automatic and high powered weapons, as some people do. It was more a comment on mindset. It should be said that statistically countries with stricter gun regulations have lower rates of gun-related crime.

You should feel proud that you're much more articulate and well spoken (err.. in this case, typed) than many of your peers seem to be, and I don't mean that flippantly. You seem like a person who understands the difference between their, there, and they're. So, kudos to you.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

In response to a comment you made a bit back in the thread regarding decentralized government:
I agree, and I'll go one further and say that countries like the US, Canada, and China cover far too much physical space, and have populations such that it would probably be beneficial to break these countries up into smaller, more manageable ones.
As it is currently, it's just much too large, unwieldy, and takes far too much infrastructure to keep things together.
It would eliminate their (ok, primarily Americas) ability to bully other countries into 'falling in line' with their whims.
But i believe a lot of crazy things. Like minimum wage should be set on a community to community basis, and based on the Living Wage, and not whatever equations they're using to figure out minimum wage. (minimum living wage tends to be closer to double minimum wage than to minimum wage)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FuzzyDunlop

Why break these huge countries up? Why not just allow the Constitutional government that IS MANDATORY in both the US and Canada to do their FRELLING JOBS!

Oh wait, sorry, the government would not have the POWER then.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I agree. If states and provinces were actually able to make the decisions they're supposed to make, it would work much better. But that clearly isn't the case (Example: Feds busting State licensed medical marijuana dispensaries in California).

But the fact remains that the Needs of people in one area of the country aren't those of the people in another, which aren't those of people in yet another area. I wasn't suggesting each state or province become a country. That way people on the coasts can have their heathen secular countries, and the heartland can get all Jesus with it.

Of course, there's no way it would be realistically feasible to divide either country at this point. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be long before the primarily Conservative Christian countries that would form saber-rattled their way into having their very own Israel/Palestine situation. "We're surrounded by godless heathens! we need to destroy them before they send their homosexual armies to our neighbourhoods to brainwash our children with their mesh tank tops and musical theater and other gay stereotypes! We need to wipe them out and reclaim GODS land! for Jesus!"

Although between rumblings of secession coming from several American states, and Quebec's (still) ongoing cries for autonomy from Canada, it's not completely outside the realm of being a possible outcome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join