It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming confrontation with Canada over the Northwest Passage

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Dont talk about the Queen that way or I will take offense.Would you talk about your mother that way?

[edit on 19-6-2010 by one4all]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I serve under the Queen and in doing so I can say as I feel necessary; if words said in her defense hurt her, then she is not worthy of her crown. The US's only concern about Canada is a future prospect of completing manifest destiny and it is my duty as a Canadian to protect my land, both militarily and through our morals and ideals.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
You are not qualified to determine what will and what will not be considered acceptable abuse for the Queen.There is no acceptable level of abuse,tell your children that the discipline you mete out to them is for their own good,but dont attempt to impose your own personal brand of justice on the Queen,you may never truly understand the contribution her family has made on behalf of humanity as a whole.

Your patriotism is admirable,but to respect you for it I must not feel you are using it as a defense for unacceptable actions or behaviours.

I am directly related to the Queen,negative conotations or references to her worthiness to posess the crown arouse a defensive posturing in my emotions,I cant explain it further than that.

I dont care about the political associations or the monarchy,but I am aware of the importance of the Royal familys genetics,and spare me the interbred blueblood lines please.

You want to pick on america then do it ,dont get personal with the president it is pointless and tasteless.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by one4all]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

The British Empire burnt down D.C. not Canada.

They were British forces commanded by British officers, many of the units later fought in Europe.
1st Battalion, 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot
21st Regiment (Royal North British Fusiliers)
1st Battalion, 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot
85th Regiment of Foot (Bucks Volunteers)(Light Infantry)
3rd Battalion, Royal Marines

We flew the Union Jack until 65 and now regulations state that when possible both must be raised.

So wake up and smell the truth. lol

Canada and Great Britain are basically one in the same. God save the Queen is sung with the Canadian National Anthem.

You should take note that the Canadian troops and the Brits of whom the best Soldiers come from the free land of the Scots seem too all fight the same battles.

They all take an oath to the Queen and to the country.lol

Ever wonder how PM Harper is getting along read the rules of the game...

In a "hung parliament", in which no party or coalition holds a majority, the monarch has an increased degree of latitude in choosing the individual likely to command most support, but it would usually be the leader of the largest party.[12][13] Since 1945, there have only been two hung parliaments

Also...

he late 19th century saw the larger settler colonies — in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa — becoming self-governing colonies and achieving independence in all matters except foreign policy, defence and trade. Separate self-governing colonies federated to become Canada (in 1867) and Australia (in 1901). These and other large self-governing colonies had become known as Dominions by the 1920s. The Dominions achieved almost full independence with the Statute of Westminster (1931). The Empire was renamed the British Commonwealth to reflect such changes and in 1949 became known as the Commonwealth of Nations.

The Commonwealth of Nations, normally referred to as the Commonwealth and previously as the British Commonwealth, is an intergovernmental organisation of fifty-four independent member states. All but two of these countries were formerly part of the British Empire.

Well we are in the middle of a unofficial 4 year(or longer) stretch of hung parliament.lol

WHO is our..Canada's monarch.

ts activities are carried out through the permanent Commonwealth Secretariat, headed by the Secretary-General, and biennial Meetings between Commonwealth Heads of Government. The symbol of their free association is the Head of the Commonwealth, which is a ceremonial position currently held by Queen Elizabeth II. Elizabeth II is also monarch, separately and independently, of sixteen Commonwealth members, which are known as the "Commonwealth realms".
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 19-6-2010 by whiteraven]

[edit on 19-6-2010 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

The units were from the British Isles and so were the officers that commanded them.

By your logic, New Zealand could take credit for burning down DC.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The scripts were from Canada...shanghai in central Canada and the ports of Nova Scotia etc

first invasion was 1775

second 1812 with Brock and Tecumseh.

Souce..Invasion of Canada by Pierre Burton and also

The objective of the American military campaign, control of the British province of Quebec, was frequently referred to as "Canada" in 1775. For example, the authorization by the Second Continental Congress to General Philip Schuyler for the campaign included language that, if it was "not disagreeable to the Canadians", to "immediately take possession of St. John's, Montreal, and any other parts of the Country", and to "pursue any other measures in Canada" that might "promote peace and security" of the colonies.[3] Even relatively modern history books covering the campaign in detail refer to it as Canada in their titles (see references). T
en.wikipedia.org...

Prior to 1775 the 13 colonies were part and parcel as well and if you read the treaty of Paris you will see that you are considered the red headed stepchild..in a sense.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
reply to post by princeofpeace

Why, so you can come, temporarily push back the Russians and then proceed to capture our territory and resources instead?

Remember buddy, Canada is the only country in the world who successfully invaded the US and burned its capital to the ground and we'll do it again.

The potential arctic war is going to hopefully be the one incident where Ottawa pulls their head out of their ass and Canada becomes nationalistic. We will have no room or tolerance for American exploitation in a truely sovereign Canada.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

Is that a threat? Because if you think that Canadas tiny army can stand up againist the US army then bring it.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Canada and the US are so intertwined they really cannot be separated in the sense that we often surmise.

The fact that 90 percent of the population of Canada is within 150 miles of the US border and the type of TV we all watch, the books we read, the films we love are one and the same has created in us a common psyche.

Imagine if this was true at our northern most border...Russia how different we would be.

I believe their is plenty of commonality, probably more then any two nations on earth between Canada and the United States of America.

Our skirmishes are far behind us and we have fought side by side since WW one.

Canadians fought and died in Korea, Vietnam,Lebanon, Granada, Nicaragua etc

And of course in Kandahar.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
People who keep saying that Canada and the US are so in common obviously have little experience with both cultures. I don't know about you, but I'm a Canadian who is reasonably close to the US border and the only commonalities I've seen is that we might watch the same TV shows or listen to the same music sometimes, but if you're listening to music based on what country it is from and not because it entertains you, then you are listening to music for all the wrong reasons.

Canadians are far different from Americans and it honestly pisses me off every time I see some random going off about how we're are so "connected". You really have no idea, and if you came around my province with that attitude you certainly wouldn't be making friends. Hell, most people here don't even label themselves as Canadians as much as they see themselves as people trying to survive day to day life on Canadian territory.

The very fact that you see Canada as having a standard Canadian mindset where you can then judge if we're common with the US shows that you don't know what you're talking about. In real Canadian life, everyone is different and we pride ourselves in being individually different as opposed to the US where everyone must try very hard to be the same and to follow national celebrities as if they are perfect human examples. It is only the Canadian government that continues to heavily standardize this country, showing how out of touch they really are.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
So let's get this straight. The "land" that our native have lived on for centuries, we've policed for decades, sent our scientific teams to research on, is no longer Canadian because the ice melts? You're welcome world. Where do we send the bill?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
People who keep saying that Canada and the US are so in common obviously have little experience with both cultures. I don't know about you, but I'm a Canadian who is reasonably close to the US border and the only commonalities I've seen is that we might watch the same TV shows or listen to the same music sometimes, but if you're listening to music based on what country it is from and not because it entertains you, then you are listening to music for all the wrong reasons.

Canadians are far different from Americans and it honestly pisses me off every time I see some random going off about how we're are so "connected". You really have no idea, and if you came around my province with that attitude you certainly wouldn't be making friends. Hell, most people here don't even label themselves as Canadians as much as they see themselves as people trying to survive day to day life on Canadian territory.

The very fact that you see Canada as having a standard Canadian mindset where you can then judge if we're common with the US shows that you don't know what you're talking about. In real Canadian life, everyone is different and we pride ourselves in being individually different as opposed to the US where everyone must try very hard to be the same and to follow national celebrities as if they are perfect human examples. It is only the Canadian government that continues to heavily standardize this country, showing how out of touch they really are.

Well...i know lots of Canadians. None that i know are the loner you describe. They are more like me than any other nation/culture on Earth. Even this chick from England, when she came she was shocked at so many things in America, even the quality of our casual dining food (she described some microwave meals being served). When i tried her chocolates, even the candy that had the same label as in America was far lower quality. For instance, the Milky Way was missing the caramel. And don't get me started on that disgusting Aero bar.

Canada is like America, if everyone in America lived in Colorado.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Well...i know lots of Canadians. None that i know are the loner you describe.

I never said we are loners. We are individually different and because of this we all bond quite well together as Canadians. With such a diverse culture (especially here in BC) there is no way we can strive to be the same as the next guy on the street.

As for your food comment, most Canadians I know would rather go out and hunt an animal then pick out some commercial food product from a store... if you can call it food anymore. Thanks to globalism most produce is garbage anyways, starting with Monsanto with their exclusive control over global food crops and ending in factory farms where cows are strictly fed corn when they have evolved to eat grass (leading to many new diseases that have forced meat bleaching as a standard).

Check out the documentary "Food Inc." if you really want to know a fraction of what's in those commercialized food products you mentioned

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Interesting thread

Here is Canada's most northern point, it is Ellersmere Island
en.wikipedia.org...

I think the controversy is if the rights extend 12+12 (24) miles or 200 miles from this land mass according to current laws.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02b78250f043.png[/atsimg]

As you can see from the above chart there are a few ways to figure this out.
Probably the fairest way to do it for all involved is use the "Contiguous Zone" which would be 24 miles from the farthest part of any countries land mass.

No doubt America would like it to be 200 miles from Alaska to extend it to the maximum, but that would clearly run into Canadian waters. Same with Denmark, with Greenland. If you look at other areas' like this they just split it exactly in half which seems to work.
But they need to figure this out so you don't have all kinds violations of ships traveling into territorial waters. They have done this in other area's of the world so I am sure they can do it here.
But you can't have Russia do like it did a few years ago and plant a flag at the bottom of the ocean and say we claim this as our own for 200 miles all around, they are insane if they think any government will agree to that.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
Interesting thread

Here is Canada's most northern point, it is Ellersmere Island
en.wikipedia.org...

I think the controversy is if the rights extend 12+12 (24) miles or 200 miles from this land mass according to current laws.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02b78250f043.png[/atsimg]

As you can see from the above chart there are a few ways to figure this out.
Probably the fairest way to do it for all involved is use the "Contiguous Zone" which would be 24 miles from the farthest part of any countries land mass.

No doubt America would like it to be 200 miles from Alaska to extend it to the maximum, but that would clearly run into Canadian waters. Same with Denmark, with Greenland. If you look at other areas' like this they just split it exactly in half which seems to work.
But they need to figure this out so you don't have all kinds violations of ships traveling into territorial waters. They have done this in other area's of the world so I am sure they can do it here.
But you can't have Russia do like it did a few years ago and plant a flag at the bottom of the ocean and say we claim this as our own for 200 miles all around, they are insane if they think any government will agree to that.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Blue_Jay33]

I agree, it should be Above Canada, but right now the passage in question sits way below Ellesmere Island, right through our waters. There aren't very many Canadians living on the island, but there are a few. How in the world can anyone call that international. It is IN Canada.

Above Ellesmere there should be no arguement. That is where it should be, and the other countries in question, with us, could figure out the boundaries.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join