It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming confrontation with Canada over the Northwest Passage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The coming confrontation with Canada over the Northwest Passage

ricks.foreignpolicy.com

With the polar icecap shrinking, the Canadians are gearing up for a confrontation eventually over whether other nations' ships will need their permission to transit the Northwest Passage. They say it's an internal waterway; we maintain it's an international strait.

Here's an article exploring how the Northwest Passage is central to Canadian identity. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these in the future.

This is one way the BP oil disaster is going to have second and third order cons*
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
*www.canada.com...

the arctic is going to become the next flashpoint for a global conflict as i have pointed out in several other threads. apparently im not the only one who thinks so.. since the northwest pasage has opened up the world to all of its natural resources nations have been staking their claims and i believe that it will all come to a head around 2020.. although given the current geopolitical climate it maybe longer.. or it just might add a whole nother front to things..

ricks.foreignpolicy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Of course it's a major issue. Russia has claimed it and the Canadian Forces threatened armed conflict over ANYONE who threatens our arctic territory. There's even a CF media campaign to recruit people for arctic warfare.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Canada versus Russia? I cant wait to see this one LOL. We'll see how much Canada "Likes" the US then.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Why, so you can come, temporarily push back the Russians and then proceed to capture our territory and resources instead?

Remember buddy, Canada is the only country in the world who successfully invaded the US and burned its capital to the ground and we'll do it again.

The potential arctic war is going to hopefully be the one incident where Ottawa pulls their head out of their ass and Canada becomes nationalistic. We will have no room or tolerance for American exploitation in a truely sovereign Canada.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
How far up does Canada go? When does it stop being Canada and start being just artic ice? Well it won't be ice I guess, if it all melts, so it will be ocean. So by then, well, maybe it will be international water. I mean, no one can claim an ocean I guess. While it is ice, it can be called land I guess. But once it melts into the ocean, it is just the ocean then.

I thought we only could own like a hundred miles out along the coast before the ocean became international waters belonging to no one.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
How far up does Canada go? When does it stop being Canada and start being just artic ice? Well it won't be ice I guess, if it all melts, so it will be ocean. So by then, well, maybe it will be international water. I mean, no one can claim an ocean I guess. While it is ice, it can be called land I guess. But once it melts into the ocean, it is just the ocean then.

I thought we only could own like a hundred miles out along the coast before the ocean became international waters belonging to no one.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Amundsen expedition
Main article: Roald Amundsen

The Northwest Passage was not conquered by sea until 1906, when the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, who had sailed just in time to escape creditors seeking to stop the expedition, completed a three-year voyage in the converted 47-ton herring boat Gjøa, after three winters trapped in ice. At the end of this trip, he walked into the city of Eagle, Alaska, and sent a telegram announcing his success. Although his chosen east–west route, via the Rae Strait, contained young ice and thus was navigable, some of the waterways were extremely shallow (3 feet, or 1 meter, deep) making the route commercially impractical.

good luck getting those supertankers through 3 feet of water.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
reply to post by princeofpeace

Why, so you can come, temporarily push back the Russians and then proceed to capture our territory and resources instead?

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather be invaded by the Russians than "freed", "democratized", or otherwise "liberated" by America. At least an invasion is upfront and honest

It doesn't matter anyway, Russia isn't going to try and capture Canadian territory, it would be international PR suicide. Like punching Gandhi in the balls and taking his shoes.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Canada will get their a$$ kicked by Russia and its allies. I'm not a Russian but i'm sure we all know more about Us , Canada armies than Russian. Russia and allies can and are able to take on Canada anytime. Even Russia alone will be enough if only Canada is going to fight.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Remember buddy, Canada is the only country in the world who successfully invaded the US and burned its capital to the ground and we'll do it again.

There's too much at stake to leave a confrontation with the Russians to the Canadians alone, but with an attitude like that, it's tempting.

Actually, anyone who reads the article will understand that Canada is taking a flexible approach to the problem because of the risks internationally and the US is the least of their problems.

While Canada's sovereignty over the Arctic is fairly clear in law, the issue is fuzzy in the eyes of most Canadians.

Many people in Canada continue to be obsessed with the idea that control over the Northwest Passage lies at the heart of the Arctic sovereignty debate. They fear the U.S., or possibly some other country, will take away what rightfully belongs to Canadians.

www.canada.com...

The US has never questioned the natural resource rights of Canada and only maintains that the waters are an international strait.

Given the risks that other nations pose to Canada, picking a fight with the US seems ill-advised.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The US has never questioned the natural resource rights of Canada and only maintains that the waters are an international strait.

That's nice, I don't remember Canada, or any other nation, saying that America can draw the borders of their own nation for them.

I think Florida should be declared an international vacation spot and give up all of it's rights to a UN body so that everyone can visit, pass through, or whatever they like. Oh, what? That's not OK? But we know what's best for you and your country, what don't you understand about that?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You're talking apples and oranges.

Read the article, then talk to me.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I did, I'm quoting what you said. The article, and you, clearly state that America maintains that a territory that lies within the boarders of Canada should be an international strait.

Sigh, sadly I can see Canada being added to the long, ever growing list of nations that have landed in the unfortunate situation of being in possession of something America desires.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It's important that Canadians recognize our sovereignty and take a stand. I know that many Canadians identify with us being peaceful and cooperative, and those are very important traits, however, we cannot be pushovers.

We should put some bases up there and equip our forces and bolster them to be especially adept in Arctic combat. I agree that Canada needs some sort of Nationalistic icon to rally behind, and perhaps this will be it. One can only hope.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
At least it will be difficult to justify invading Canada....

but seriously. does anyone think that Canada will actually let this get to any sort of armed conflict?

It may be small, but its not stupid. While Canada may be on par, or "better", than the US/Russia in many ways, surely it knows that it does not posses the military means to take on such a country(military-obsessed).

The fact that it doesn't spend ridiculous amounts of money on national "defense" pretty much betrays the stance they would take on such an issue.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by starstrings]

[edit on 11-6-2010 by starstrings]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

What? No one better pick on Canada, its my favorite state!

Joking. Please dont burn the Whitehouse again.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It was the British Empire that took Washington D.C. and burned the white house. Not "Canada", which wasn't even a country then. Just to clarify a few things.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I dunno, I am going to have to say that the northwest passage is Canada's to do with what it wants. I don't think it's international.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chad_Thomas89

You seriously didn't just say that .................. Canada dates back to 1535, when Jacques Cartier first discovered it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join