It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Thailand's Kickboxing Orangutans" - VIDEO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Check out this al-Jazeera video...

Now obviously, most people will immediately conclude "This is bad".

But I had the thought...orangutans are smart, and maybe the orangs are kept in bad conditions that fill them with frustration and rage, making them grumpy and mean, and maybe thus some of them might enjoy fighting the way mistreated humans (i.e. all of us) can sometimes quite enjoy fighting...And so maybe then if these fight-loving orangutans got repatriated to a wild orang troupe, would they continue to fight and cause a martial arts tradition to arise among the wild free-roaming orangutans? (Obviously I watch too many movies.)

[edit on 11-6-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
As I see it, these animals belong in the wild and should be free, not displayed in public to do a human's bidding. Leave them be. Who knows the reprecussions of returning them to the wild. Will they teach what they have learned to others? It just isn't right or fair to these animals.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

No I am with you...my stupid idea would be better for a movie than in real life...But the movie is good, kind of a "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" vibe...The martial arts orangutans pop out of the trees, and drive off the native Borneo lumberjacks who are destroying the orang habitat by cutting down the rain forest in search of exotic hardwoods...The cartoon version almost writes itself, I could steal whole episodes from "Spartacus: Blood and Sand"...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Here's another video of this activity...

In the liner notes, the auteur says "Don't worry, it's just a comedy routine, not the 'cruel ape fight club' the Sun would have you think it is."

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
@ nine-eyed-eel

How smart are Orangutans actually ?
I've never seen or heard of a performance like it bu chimps.

The apes really act like they know what they are doing

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
AS i can see in this video,this is not Kickboxing
its Thaiboxing, The orangutangs are doing the typical thaiboxing ritual before a fight
- Other than that,no comment,.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

hehe
you just said Apes and Orangutang in one sentence
They might actually be smarter than you
No wait, since you dont know the fact allready,they prolly are smarter

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Archirvion]

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Archirvion]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Archirvion

hehe
you just said Apes and Orangutang in one sentence
They might actually be smarter than you
No wait, since you dont know the fact allready,they prolly are smarter

Well I'm smart enough to see I didn't do so in one sentence. There is even a whole sentence in between.
Orangutans are apes and I know they are smart...

It's just that my own intelligence can not comprehend how much smarter they they are.
So I ask.

Don't worry. I won't ask you.

Seriously when you try to insult someone it helps when you don't show them you are equally intelligent.

Forgive me if you were just fooling around cause you did make me laugh.

On topic :
How smart are they ? Do you know ? They always say that chimps and Bonobo's are the smartest apes.

He what do you know...
Now I did use chimps and apes in one sentence.

Edit : Knowledge has nothing to do with intelligence it is merely a tool, used to measure intelligence.

[edit on 6/11/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

They are about as smart as chimps and gorillas...and you remember that gorilla Koko, who they taught to speak in deaf sign language, and she lied...In my book, if you are smart enough to lie (I also like mourning the dead as a criterion), then you are plenty smart...

Wikipedia on Orangutan

When I lived in Vegas they always had this guy Bobby Berosini on at the Stardust, with his orangutans...Here's a couple vids on him and his business...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

The first one was really amusing as if they were just humans with a costume.

I closed the second. It makes me outrageous to see that.

I hope some animal fundamentalist stabbed him in the back. Then again, people do the same to there own children. A lot of people suck.

That guy would not be happy I saw him do that.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

To be strictly fair, a chimp, orangutan, or gorilla is physically much stronger than a human, so that there is some need to exert dominance or a major injury disaster can swiftly occur...but of course, there is no actual necessity to make a living off of these types of animal show-biz either, for sure...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

If I'm correct the ones used in the videos were all still very young.

Orangutans are much bigger when they are fully grown.

Dominance is not only by force but also because they seem him as their care taker.
Which makes it even more sickening.

I always watch the series on monkey world England.
They are always rescuing monkeys in captivity and offer them the next best thing to living in the wild.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Isn't forcing dolphins to swim in circles and kiss dirty tourists for money also some kind of animal abuse?

What about keeping animals in cages at the zoo?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Poor orangutans. They have been "domesticated" and as a result, are now becoming "civilized".

It appears they have even earned some human rights, such as the right to earn food, water and shelter by performing tricks.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by townio
Isn't forcing dolphins to swim in circles and kiss dirty tourists for money also some kind of animal abuse?

Well, if the dolphins accepted the money, I would figure they were cool with it...
I mean, a deal's a deal...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
Poor orangutans. They have been "domesticated" and as a result, are now becoming "civilized".

It appears they have even earned some human rights, such as the right to earn food, water and shelter by performing tricks.

Great post, hope their not working the streets for money but?

Animals deserve their dignity to be retained they can unlike us recognise captivity.

top topics

join