It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For The British Only - PB Poll

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BAZ752

I sincerely do not buy into this nonsense that the effects will be ''global and catastophic''! Are you talking economic or naturally?

I meant naturally, ie to the global ecosystem. I hope you're right and it is indeed nonsense. We shall see.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by winston_jones

Winston, I have every certainty that in a natural way it will indeed affect wider parts of the planet. Take migrating birds, for example, those species that are key to certain micro ecological systems that might not return to breed and so the chain of events does have an impact. Although, I must note that I am not an expert in ornothology or marine conservation so my opinion is limited somewhat.

What I've tried to say since participating these discussions is that we generally acknowledge the potential for damage, but BP is one of a number of organisations that need to be held accountable here.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
To All Americans. Please understand that BP as WAS British Petroleum IS NOT a Government owned company.

This is why I laughed my arse off when I hear comment on the MSM of people saying that the British Government should be held accountable for this.

Sorry, it is a PRIVATE company. and has been for many many years. I can safely say that the people of the UK have NO national pride for a private company.

In fact, as it is, like most multinational corporations. it is a worldwide operation. With headquaters all over the world. and maybe just MAYBE if you look hard enough you will see that a large proportion of the company is American owned!

if someone screws up like this, they can go to the wall and face the heat, if negligence can be found in the operation and policy then they deserve all they can get, regardless of there name sake.

I think if there is any Ill feeling by the British, it is purely due to american vitriol towards the British over this, which is completely unfounded.

Would the American feel annoyed if Chevron, had this same problem of the coast of the UK, and the British started calling for the American government to be held accountable??? i think so.

[edit on 16/6/2010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What happened to the boss of Exxon after the Exxon Valdez disaster? (the previous worst oil spill in history and also one which affected - and continues to affect to this day - American shores)

The head of BP should be treated similarly and all the rules and legislation imposed after Exxon Valdez should be applied in full to this case.

Meanwhile we should all, once again, be questioning whether we really need all this oil and whether the cost is worth it? We are ALL to blame. If we didn't want more and more cheap oil then we wouldn't have been demanding firms like BP drill in more and more difficult locations

In hindsight, would you rather have had another 50 cents on a gallon of petrol (gas) than this disaster? What's worth more to you? Cheap fuel or the environment? Your choice.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Essan]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
4.) Do not agree

BP is not really a British company if you actualy look at who's really behind it, more a multi national company. I think someone/s should be held accountable but its far to early for the blame game, lets get the problem fixed first and ask questions later. I a willing to bet there are some people in the BP company that are seriously worried about just what charges and sentances may be leveled against them in the future though.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Answer me this...

Why do you think that the British people should be affected by these events any differently than anyone else???

If there are Americans out there that have an anti British view because BP has British in the name, should look into who owns BP.

I and my fellow subjects have zero to do with the actions of BP.

I, strongly agree with all of your points, I might add...

Korg.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
OK I would strongly disagree. this is no time for american extreme fanatical propganda.

Now this is a huge problem and I can't believe that it is taking so long to get sorted. I can't imagine how much damage this will do. If people need volunteers to fly over and clean beaches. Well Im up for it.

HOWEVER.

Lets not forget thet British, American and Chinese companies have been causing environmental disasters in Africa akin to the BP Oil Leak on a DAILY BASIS. They get no media coverage, local people are killed and silenced by the governments , who are on the payrole of the oil companies. There are whole river systems that now support no life and the vegitation around these rivers is dead. oil and gases are leaking on a huge scale. Laying waste to rivers, lakes and habitats on a scale that you would not believe.

This is bound to happen anyway. It was only a matter of time. So lets get on with cleaning it up. AND LETS NOT IGNORE THE PLIGHT OF EVERY OTHER COUNTRY WHO IS BEING SHAGGED UP THE CHOCOLATE STARFISH BY THE OIL INDUSTRY.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

What do you think the British reaction would be if a company named American Petrolium had a spill off the cornish coast, destroying it for years?
How would the British population react. Pretty sure there would be many anti American protests, burning of flags perhaps, protests outside the American embassy.

So i understand the American response to the crisis and feel a sense of guilt even though i know it has nothing to do with me as a British citizen.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I just get annoyed when people like the President call it British Petroleum when he knows full well its BP/Amoco conglomerate now known as BP.
He's just passing the buck and trying to pull the wool over American eyes.
Lets not talk about the lack of regulation and oversight, or the fact that BP is actually half US owned and is part of the Dow Jones and the NASDAQ as well as the FTSE.
Wouldn't surprise me to see a hostile take-over bid of BP in the near future.
If some idiots actually want to believe that BP is a British state owned company and that the British public should pay for the disaster, then fine, cos it aint gonna happen and i suppose the world needs a few idiots to keep the rest of us amused.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

What do you think the British reaction would be if a company named American Petrolium had a spill off the cornish coast, destroying it for years?
How would the British population react. Pretty sure there would be many anti American protests, burning of flags perhaps, protests outside the American embassy.

So i understand the American response to the crisis and feel a sense of guilt even though i know it has nothing to do with me as a British citizen.

So does that mean the American's in general should feel guilty for the Piper Alpha disaster that cost 167 lives??? or the Amoco Cadiz disaster that destroyed a lot of the Brittany coast?

At what point do we draw that line for feeling guilt for these greedy Bs.. in all these incidents someone decides to cut corners and costs.. whole nations should not be held accountable for the greed of the few.

[edit on 16/6/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I agree with every thing said in the OP, except this

Most Americans want the PB executives in charge to be extradited to the United States for Trial and Sentencing.

If that is what most Americans want they will be disappointed. Around half of BP executives are American (one canadian, I think) and therefore would not need extraditing.

Others have already made the point so well, yes BP has the word 'British' in the title but it's a privately owned multinational company, so anger towards Britain is misplaced. The point made about the environmental damage that goes on in Africa is well made too.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Sure, we all feel a tiny bit of guilt knowing full well (pardon the pun) our continued demands as a populus are what has ultimately led to the pursuit of greater reserves of fossil fuels.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Could you please make it BP not PB.

Don't people proof read anymore?

PB makes me think of a peanut butter poll

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Nope this wouldn't happen the way you think.

If this were to happen, then we would have informed news broadcasts about who owns the company and how did this event come to pass.

The British people are intelligent enough to realise that the actions of a few business people in a privately owned company have nothing to do with Country of origin. This is not a purposeful act on the part of any government.

As an example...

If I so wished, I could set up a company called Iranian Oil. And I could drill in international waters off the coast of Israel and by accident cause a massive ecological and environmental disaster, threatening the coast line of Israel... Now bear in mind I'm, English..... Do you think the Israelis should blame the Iranians for this mishap???

See what I'm getting at??

Korg.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think what most people both British and Americans are forgeting is that America owns 30% of BP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join