It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Comet comes calling! (June 15th)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

A Comet has appeared in the Northern Hemisphere. The Emerald Comet was first seen in 2009 by the Australian, Robert McKnight , who predicted that the S2009R1 - the scientific name of the Comet, will enter the Solar system, and in June this year, come close to the earth.

Mr. McKnight’s forecast has been proven correct and the heavenly visitor is streaming toward the Earth. On June 15th, it will come very close to the Northern Hemisphere and then start moving away from the earth, says Victor Shor, a senior employee of the St. Petersburg Institute of Applied Astronomy.

"The Comet is moving along the light hyperbolic orbit and poses no danger to earth since it will pass the earth at a distance of 170 million kilometers. It is quite bright and can be seen before the Sun enters into the Perseus Constellation, pass the Sun and if other planets do not produce strong disturbances, the Emerald Comet will leave the Solar system. The Emerald Comet got its name from its rare colour, which scientists say is caused by noxious gas. The visitor from the heavens is also huge with a head bigger than that of Jupiter and a tail longer than one million kilometers. Astrophysicists all over the world are intrigued by these factors. This is not the first Comet visiting us from the edge of the solar system, but each visit by a Comet provides scientists with plenty of materials to delve into the structure of the Universe," said Shor.

Every appearance of a Comet attracts the attention of Astronomers. The present Comet comes, for the first time, from the inside of the solar system and Astrophysicists are studying its brightness, tail and its core with a view to understanding Comets’ body, internal structure, as well as the processes happening inside Comets. Large Comets approach the earth once in a decade, while smaller ones visit us a thousand times in a year. In recent times though, heavenly bodies have become regular visitors to the Earth, the last large one called S2006 P1, came calling in 2007. Significantly, it was an Emerald Comet like the present one, was visible in Russia and was also discovered by the same Robert McKnight.

Source: english.ruvr.ru...

I put this up here as I am interested in this stuff overall but Comets especially. Like little Rouge Rocks hell bent on moving along and not being a part of any ones plans. lol

I need to learn more about them though. Looking forward to the good old ATS pros chiming in and letting loose with their knowledge of Comets etc.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Is there a chart that says where it will be visible and when and in what direction?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
so wait, the comet is bigger in size than the JUPITER??? holy crap , that's massive!!!
if that fly by our planet, it could cause serious damage to us right?? I am actually scared , that something might happen on june 15th!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios
Is there a chart that says where it will be visible and when and in what direction?

This link may provide you with the information you want:

www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vendetta1986
so wait, the comet is bigger in size than the JUPITER??? holy crap , that's massive!!!
if that fly by our planet, it could cause serious damage to us right?? I am actually scared , that something might happen on june 15th!

Relax. Get a tall glass of iced tea, and enjoy the light show.
The comet's gaseous layer is larger than Jupiter...the actual solid mass of the comet is considerably smaller. You might also take a second look at the distance of its closest approach. 170 million km means that even at its closest, the comet will be more distant than the Sun.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Brother Stormhammer

The comet's gaseous layer is larger than Jupiter...the actual solid mass of the comet is considerably smaller.

Are you aware that Jupiter is a gas giant, and has no real solid mass?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
uhmm... emerald... could this colour pass for blue? Hopi prophecy anyone?

hehehe... sorry couldn't resist...

THE END IS NIGH!!!!

everybody pack your bags and pour a glass of icetea with some icecubes... I hope I'll get to see it.. should be quite the lightshow..

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
there is a thread EXACTLY about this ... do a search before creating a new one, this way you will contribute more to the community

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Are you aware that Jupiter has a solid/rocky core, and therefore some solid mass?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
FYI, this weekend will be the best time to see it. It should be visible about 1 1/2 - 2 hours before sunrise. Look roughly due North East, and 20 degrees above the horizon. (Thats about the size of two of your fists stretched out at arms length stacked on top of each other) Get out those binoculars and happy gazing!!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Jupiter has a solid/rocky core...

Not to mention, under the tremendous pressure of its gravitational field, likely liquid, and even possibly metallic hydrogen, helium, etc. Oh, and methane (liquid...not sure if it has a metallic state or not...will look it up).

That is not an all-inclusive list....

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Jeah, you could say some solid mass.

But:

The core is often described as rocky, but its detailed composition is unknown, as are the properties of materials at the temperatures and pressures of those depths (see below).

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Well thank you.

Alert Mod.

Have a good weekend all

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
That's two posts that mention iced tea as the drink of choice when watching the comet fly by. Considering a comet swinging by is enough of a cause for alarm by those who believe in end of the world scenarios involving a comet, can it be said that iced tea is the drink of choice for those who don't dabble in the kool-aid? Is iced tea the preferred drink for those who approach information in a calm and logical manner, denying ignorance and the like, while those who drink kool-aid are more prone to having closed minds and believing blindly, or generally being sheep?

Don't read into this as some kind of commentary on believers or skeptics, conspiracy theorists and kooks. I just like iced tea and noticed a parallel between the Hale-Bopp cult and cult associations with Kool-aid.

Iced Tea for the win. I like mine with mint leaves.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

The truth about comets.

Wal Thornhill and Dave Talbot gave a reviewed presentation at the IEEE ICOPS on the subject of electric comets which can be found here:

The Electric Comet
Thorhill, Talbot, Poster Presentation, IEEE 33rd ICOPS, Traverse City Michigan, June 4-8 2006

A page with piles upon piles of supporting evidence:
sites.google.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Wow. I just took a quick glance at the first link. Looks pretty darn good. THANK YOU>

My wife and I are organizing a watch party up in the nearby graveyard!!

We going up in a few hours to start getting everyone use to it.
)

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Here's a time lapse video of the comet that I shot this morning just before sunrise as the comet was rising over the trees. It's 43 minutes compressed into about 40 seconds, ending right as sunlight obscured the comet completely. The telescope was an 8" LX200 and the camera was a modified Samsung SDC-435 set at its maximum integration of 8 seconds per video frame.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by ngchunter]

new topics

top topics

join