It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big brother wants all your bits and bytes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Big brother wants all your bits and bytes

www.smh.com.au

THE federal government wants your personal internet data, and they don't want to have to apply to a court to get it.

Revelations that the federal government wants Australia's 400-odd internet service providers (ISPs) to log and retain customers' web browsing data, so law enforcement can access it during criminal cases, have sparked alarm in the industry.

Currently law enforcement needs court-approved search warrants before they can record someone's personal data via their ISP. The proposed
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theregister.co.uk
www.zdnet.com.au
www.skynews.com.au
www.inquisitr.com

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

The Government is reportedly considering tracking what Australians do online.

Oh boy, oh boy, this is getting one helluva nightmare for me, because I live in Australia, and KRudd is tagging along the one world order by imposing a cyber police state Internet censorship grid on this once great continent nation.

Ladies and gentlemen, you should at least consider using Scroogle, for those who are using the latest Web browsers (other than Safari), so that you can scramble your Internet searches.

scroogle.org...

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The next step will be to make non-standard browsers and software which feature non-approved encryption features illegal.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
The next step will be to make non-standard browsers and software which feature non-approved encryption features illegal.

But that's a violation of the W3C web standards.

Too bad IE is notorious for non-compliance with W3C protocol when it comes to web page rendering and instead substitutes with proprietary MS code.

I love using Opera.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yeah...

But, I'm afraid if you think they don't track everything now...
Your head is far in the sand.

When you have leaks of a yottabyte storage facility being built, you raise concerns.
You can even comprehend how much information that is.
And they have developed thousands.

Trust me, the gov't already knows what's going on and where.
It's just now coming to light that they are getting caught.

Funny, though, when you get in trouble, the police can get all your internet information already.
They can search every text you made...ever.
They can archive ALL your emails.
This is for the billions of people who use the internet.
You really don't want to know the power they possess.
You think scroogle or any other non-saving IP search engine is good enough?
As soon as you have an IP created to access the 'net...you are known.

Just a heads up. They have 10,000x more information than anyone.
And all gov't are together on this. Not just Aus, or UK, or USA.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
people will have to start using proxy and encryption if you work in any thing "important" ...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
or just go to a local access point like Starbucks.
what they going to arrest every one who goes there.
But changing your ip works good enough anyway let them trace it to timbuck 2 lol
as for emails well you dont want them to see it delete it as for texts you uploading these text? if not there just on your hard drive. delete them do things the old fashion way if its important to you rember it .
and finly over wright all files deleted 100 times and over wright hard drive free space 100 times . first delete all restore points then over write.
and Im not even that good at it lol and know this much.
if its been over written a 100 times theres no way no matter how good of a undelete program you have you will get it back.
anyway whats so important you are so worried about?? I mean the cops wont steal your bank info there dumb but not that dumb.
what you have steamy love letters from your mistress your hiding? the cops dont care but your wife mite lol and you have alot more then a few emails to hid from her lol.
humm there is one other thing ill have to ask the micro soft programmer i know about it . you know with windows you can set it up so a person need a password to loge in to the computer .
but how about a program that if you get the password wrong 3 times wipes the hard drive . now even if there is something you want to hid tell them the wrong password 3 times but with a twist just use the same password but give one wrong letter each time then say opps im just nervice here try again.
the 4 th time blam there goes the hard drive.
But if your really worried take a large nail wrap copper wire around it from top to bottom take the ends on one side cut the wire and add a swich now attach the ends to anywhere inside your pc -laptop that has power (be sure the switch if off before you turn on your pc place the nail on top Tap it glue it on top of the hard drive again BE SURE the swich is off .
you just made a Electra magnet .
when ever your the pc is OFF leave the hidden swich on . swich it off to turn on your pc .
Now dont tell any one you installed the switch and if the cops turn it on the electro magnet will wipe the hard drive COMPLETELY. this is fool proof they will leave the pc run waiting for windows the longer they wate the more scrambled the hard drive gets lol
and if they run up on you with the pc on just hit the switch and again blam it wipes the hard drive.
but man thats alot of trouble to go through to hide a few steamy love letters lol

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Heres another engine .
www.startpage.com...
not sure about this one whether it logs ip or not.

www.devilfinder.com...

[edit on 11-6-2010 by onecon]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
it time to consider fighting back guys.

if they want data then give them data and let get some code that sends off millions of random searches to google that just ticks away when your not browsing the internet so google ends up with scrambled information on your browsing habits.

if ISP want to collect post data then lets give them more than they can chew and see how they get on because they are doing naf all to fight back for us.

They have declaired war on the internet so lets give them war.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Trust me, my fellow Australians are starting to hate being monitored online by the gubmint.

www.arnnet.com.au...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Invest in a VPN service perhaps? There are options for privacy if you truly think you are being watched. At the end of the day though, you utilize a common backbone and concurrently, your traffic is in the hands of strangers. The interwebs were never safe.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
So what...if you aren't breaking any laws what do you care if a few dumb cops read your posts?

Seriously...even if some flatfoots approach you and ask why you were posting on such and such site...tell 'em to go screw themselves.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bruxfinn

So, let's say I want to search your house every night. Even though you aren't breaking any laws, would you still be ok with some stranger looking through your stuff? Or would you just shrug and say it's the price of freedom?

The point here is that if someone is doing something criminal, it is no problem for the authorities to get the proper warrant. Let's keep it that way.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by TheComte]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

What i post on the internet is not the contents of my house. As long as I'm not talking about Dragons...I could care less what they read.

If I have info on Dragons...i'd reconsider.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

The funny thing is even if you do all the extreme things you said, you are still not going to be able to hide your data and online activity. They say that you need to physically destroy a hard disk to prevent forensics from getting to your data and they can read data from memory after it has been powered down.

Go to a starbucks to get some privacy? Your computer is still uniquely identifiable by the mac address of the network adapter, your computer name, OS type and version, exposed shares and services, etc.

If you are a geek, you can change the mac and lock the computer down to some degree (maybe use a linux live CD), but have you EVER used a credit card at that particular starbucks? If you are a target for some reason, they probably have a very good idea of every place you typically visit or which places on the streets you typically travel and can most likely identify you by your digital signature. Do you check certain sites? log into email addresses or have accounts anywhere? Thats unique to you and possible to remotely identify.

I did a Securities and Exchange Commission training about 10 years ago and it blew my mind the types of information they were collecting and even more by the way they were able to triangulate and use data.

There are databases that contain pretty much any social contact you have ever had. A weird stock trade happens, they can identify that you married a girl that went to high school with a girl that had a friend that has a brother that knows the CEO of X company. If the SEC had that 10 years ago, Imagine what the intelligence agencies have now.

Kinda freaky to think about it all, none of us have any expectation of privacy anymore if we make any kind of use of technology. I don't personally worry about it because my life is boring, but I am definitely aware.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bruxfinn

What i post on the internet is not the contents of my house.

No, but both do concern your privacy. Once they can search your computer without a warrant, it is not a far stretch for them to search your physical address.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It wasnt dubbed the interNET for nought.
Stalin would have loved this technology been used by his prols.
The Gulags would have killed ten times a s many.
Thats why it pays to be balanced and nit get drunk whilst posting on the net.
Imagine how many members here on ATS have at some stage criticised Islam strongly?
Well lets say in the future your grandkids are living under Islamist Rule.
By assosciation you have signed their death warrant?
THis is what George Orwell predicted, but he had two way TVS in every room in every house, the NET is now the only way to learn nowadays.
But I fear we have been silly typing our opinions?
my excuse is I partake in beer , whilst I post, like many.
So I can always say Iwas drunk at the time to the Facist Islamists who have their boot on my head in the future.
We I are all so naive, as if the govt would give us the NET, fer nothing.
How many may be put in mental hospitals for being members of conspiracy forum sites?
How many are in mental hospitals rigjt now (hands up)

The beauty is we are all connected all over the world instantaneously, that is the miracle of the web.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I still think searching me is a waste of time...if these people have decided to waste everyone's time and money on their paranoia...it'll only be a matter of time before we're searching their homes.

Two way street it seems...and it'll be hilarious because they'd be the ones that passed the laws that allow us to violate their privacy and human rights.

Give 'em more rope is what I say.

new topics

top topics

join