It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Fury at BP Stirs Backlash Among British

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Well if I may say. Here in Alabama, we are pissed at BP. Mainly because that is what the MSM constantly reports on. Our media has used tactics to go and place all the blame on BP instead of the other parties as well. I can see the British MSM blaming the disaster on poor American oversight right now in order to split us up. Unfortunately there are too many reasons this happened.

Shoulda blasted it closed on day one. Lots of blame for the politician that can't make executive decisions.

Let me remind you that it was transocean which wanted to go the safe route... It was BP who forced the issue which no one agreed to on the rig...

And the response BP forced is what caused this issue... This is solely BPs fault...

I own a business... And before we commit to anything we first ensure we can pay for the issue if something goes wrong... We also think of what to do if something goes wrong...

BP had not foresight in this action... Didn't even have a plan b... And forced the dangerous actions against he will of transocean and he rig workers...

I have no sympathy for them... Or anyone who has their stock... As that is the risk you take when you invest... Sorry thats just the way it is

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by Retseh

LOL generalise much? I'm british and this is the first I've heard of such anger or backlash. lol

[edit on 11-6-2010 by _Phoenix_]

I can echo that statement. Yes BP scr**ed up, but so did the 2 companies that were running the rig and we dont hear of them do we?

How did they screw up? They were forced into this situation.... They were going to follow another plan... More safer... But BP officials with the largest ownership of the rig forced their plan... This is solely BPs fault

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Americans get angry when they loose money, but that's okay? look at all the anger when the housing bubble burst, plenty of screaming and hair tearing then, but, its in America, that's okay.
just what was typed when the Exxon Valdez shed its load??
Well, at least America has had its mind taken off of all its other ills, bumercare, economy, Iraq, North Korea, the shuttle, the rich, the poor, the homeless, climate whatever, 2012, the Euro, Mexico, drugs, drive by shootings, 911, aliens, gods own country????

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FuGGer
that bp exec needs to do some jail time!

As well as the corrupt regulators in MMS that allowed BP to virtually regulate themselves!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i love the British people i love there contributions to the arts and entertainment industry. but British petroleum must pay for the colossal f--- -p . i am sorry so many people might lose pension money but think about it like this if a bp owned rig in north sea had the same thing happen and polluted the waters around whole of England,Scotland, wales, Cornwall, Ireland and the isle of Mann the companies total assets would be seized so fast it would be funny .

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
See? We all are indeed one and will NEVER allow anything to get in between us.

As the common Americans stood by the common Brits in their hour of greatest need from the monstrocities of Nazi Germany, so too will the common Brits stand by Americans in the saddest moments of their lives as they watch their Gulf being destroyed, humanly, ecologically and socially, and that bond must remain strong for as long as our planet stands and never to be divided by manipulations.

Whomever is to be blamed, the facts are clear and undeniable. Regardless if British or Americans, they MUST be brought to justice, no matter how high up are they in the echolons or the lowest rungs.

This tragedy which ultimately if unstopped may lead to our resources from the oceans gone within years. Money can always be earned back one way or another, but lives and ecological systems once destroyed, is gone forever....

Right now, the main concern is not about blaming any one, but the stopping of the flow of oil into the oceans. There is no price too high to pay, for it may lead to our very extinction, something which no money on Earth can every buy back.

If BP - a 'private enterprise' entity that brooks no interference from any govts, is incapable of doing the job, the US govt alone. with its military hardware and software, is fully capable and ready to take matter into its own hands.

And in that, the chairman of BP - one of the elites of the world, best come clean, be responsible for all, and cease obstructions, when he meets up with the President of a suffering nation, and if the spill unstopped, soon the world.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I think 'angry' may be over-stepping the mark a bit. I'm British and have been paying close attention to this whole disaster since it began. I think it's sometimes hard to communicate the 'feelings' of a nation, I just don't think you can unilaterally generalise. Such headlines are, IMO, generally written to stir up animosity, sell content, and possibly sway markets and diplomatic games.

Don't believe the hype, most Britains are just as disgusted, shocked and devastated at the impact (ecological, human and economic) as anyone else.

But it is true that the UK economy is on the ropes just like everywhere else, and fighting for it's life, and it is also true that most Brits can see (not least from reading ATS) that puzzlingly, whilst BP were not alone in this chain of events, which most certainly included the USA government administrators/auditors who as it were drew up the parameters of operations/compliance, and also Transocean (Swiss) and Halliburton (USA), only BP gets mentioned in the Whitehouse spin/soundbites, why?

Personally, I think that currently, whether this had happened to BP or not, the UK, and probably Euro/USA/Japan and other zones would all still be heading to what looks more and more certain to be some kind of a double dip recession, and potentially disastrous chain of economic events anyway.

So if you think about it, although the BP collapse may well be seriously devastating news, a a collapse trigger, for the UK (first), our heads would/are still on the block anyway in a way that I think would vastly over-shadow this issue/financial liability....in fact so is the US and everyone else.

So perhaps in that sense, this debate is something of a red-herring? I think that if BP collapses, sure it will massively hit the UK/pensions, and probably throw us into double dip, probably triggering world-wide collapses across the Euro, Japan, and possibly subsequently not doing great things for the USA either? But then, I think the collapse will be triggered somewhere, soon, anyway...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Americans have every right to try and destroy this garbage company, if america really is isolated from uk.

So does that give the right of any nation to destroy an American company that has screwed up anywhere else in the world. I suspect not because there would be few American companies left.

Ask Nigeria if they want to destroy Exxon for messing up the Nigerian Delta.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156

Originally posted by andy1033
Americans have every right to try and destroy this garbage company, if america really is isolated from uk.

So does that give the right of any nation to destroy an American company that has screwed up anywhere else in the world. I suspect not because there would be few American companies left.

Ask Nigeria if they want to destroy Exxon for messing up the Nigerian Delta.

Your point is well taken. Global Corporate malfeasance and irresponsibility must be dealt with Swiftly, and harshly if necessary!

It is all too clear that we are living in Fascist times once again!
So whether it's Nigeria, The Amazon, or the Gulf of Mexico, these companies are destroying the planet.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Money does not disappear into thin air.

It only goes into hoarding, and the rich are hoarding it right now or attempting to teach the US administration a lesson as they seek to limit their powers.

It's a joke the Brit MSM are pulling that 'pensioners' will be doomed if BP fails. They are hiding the fact that MORE of the rich class had parked their ill begotten gambling chipst into 'cutting corners' BP.

When BP fails, it will be the rich class that the Brit MSM are protecting, in truth! and not the common Brits whom had suffered from the incompetence of the ruling masters the way the Americans and everyone else in the world did.

Let the dice fall then as it may. We common humanity are resilient and have the ability to pick up the pieces, unlike the faggotly rich class. But only if humans remain sane and NOT be distracted by false flag events that will divide us and make us kill each other.

Today we know who the real enemies are, and they best stop their nonsense and work with humanity, beginning with sharing their wealth, not by loose change but by honest setting up of manufacturing and production of real products, using tech as well as paying every worker a wage that allows him to work to live, and not live to work.

The solution is there. The choice must never be one where mankind must come to push and shove. No one will win in such manipulations. We all can step back from the brink. Rich or poor, we are humans and one.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

No i didn't suggest we should protect the company from ''natural death'' but that trial by media is pointless no one knows if their was criminal negligence or not .There 's lots of finger pointing from the government and Halliburten and Transocean have kept a low profile. BP is taking all the heat for political reasons.A failed company cannot pay compensation to the people in the Gulf or clean up the mess.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

It's a joke the Brit MSM are pulling that 'pensioners' will be doomed if BP fails. They are hiding the fact that MORE of the rich class had parked their ill begotten gambling chipst into 'cutting corners' BP.

When BP fails, it will be the rich class that the Brit MSM are protecting, in truth! and not the common Brits whom had suffered from the incompetence of the ruling masters the way the Americans and everyone else in the world did.

It could be called a joke you think that, but I appreciate you're not aware of the possible impact on millions of working class Britons if Obama's hatred of Britain leads to a collapse of BP. Hopefully it won't happen. But what has become clear is that your Kenyan President has a serious chip on his shoulder due to his perceived treatment of his grandfather during the Mau Mau uprisings.

British American relationships are at their lowest ebb since the War of Independence. Many people in Britain no longer see America as an ally. This is not good, for any of us.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
most people I know do blame BP and not america. I blame them both.

BP shares are dropping fast. maybe thats what they wont. so they can have one of there own buy the share. this is just a possibility. if the spill turns out to be Not as bad as it seems. the share praises will shoot back up! they dont let the press film it so we dont know. I dont know share. but you out there that do. can you keep a eye on this. it could be a good one.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Americans get angry when they loose money, but that's okay? look at all the anger when the housing bubble burst, plenty of screaming and hair tearing then, but, its in America, that's okay.

You know, I dont know what media programs you watch, but let me tell you honestly, a large percentage of us wanted them to let the whole house of cards fall. Many of us were opposed to the bailouts, not for them. In fact it was such a touchy political subject Obama for a while tried to distance himself from the bailout before the election, and after he won, the Republican party tried to distance itself from the bailout.

On our end of the media pipeline, the rest of the world was doing more screaming, blaming, hair pulling and tooth gnashing for us to "do something and do it now" than the actual citizens of America were.

It doesnt bother me one bit if the whole thing comes crashing down. Its a monstrosity. Yes, I and a lot of other people both here and around the world will suffer if it does, but for our own futures and those of the next generations its worth it. We can suffer acutely, for a limited time now, or we can allow things to continue on and progress to the point where even this painful escape route is not an option.

I personally feel we should take it like men and women, pay the price now for our own foolishness, and ignorance, and leave the next generation and ourselves in a better position in the future.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Actually, I think the British appreciate that this is a disaster and that BP need to get it resolved. Instead, the British are peeved because Obama and all his little sycophants are acting like bullies to gain political points. After all, there are other (US) firms involved in this and they seem to have been airbrushed out of the news e.g. Transocean, Halliburton, Weatherford International and M-I SWACO.

The British like fairness and hate bullies. If Obama wants to help then he should do so. His bullying is embarrassing.

If this was a US oil company would there be such blatant negative political involvement? Is Obama et al, who are so shocked by pollution going to prosecute and target US companies who continue to degrade the environment with gay abandon? Did any US official even notice that Bhopal is still an issue, what with the US executives escaping justice.

Is Obama – who is demanding compensation from BP – going to demand compensation from the banks for the damage they have done. No. Double standards and hypocrisy, but I suppose that’s all we can expect.

It is in American oils interest to remove BP and that’s what Obama is doing. Under the cloak of being shocked by the environmental damage, he’s laughing along with American Oil.

Regards

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm no expert at all in this field but it amazes me that in such a potentially dangerous industry that there aren't legal requirements for emergency reaction plans for all possible scenario's prior to allowing any drilling to take place.

Surely this isn't a unique occurence or no-one has thought that it couldn't happen.

But at the end of the day it is BP's responsiblity, end of.

It has nothing to do with the British public, who feel absolutely no animosity whatsoever to the US over this.

All of our anger should be directed at the Global Corporations whose only concern is exploitation and maximization of profits.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

sycophants are acting like bullies to gain political points. After all, there are other (US) firms involved in this and they seem to have been airbrushed out of the news e.g. Transocean, Halliburton, Weatherford International and M-I SWACO.

WTF is up with the word SYCHOPHANTS? Is this a new word that I don't know about? I know that ENDISNIGHE has an orgasm every time he posts it.

For the rest of that....people here know about all those other entities involved. I've posted a helluva lot about Halliburton....the American people are not completely reflective of the corporate media...although many take it as gospel...HELLO FOX AND MSNBC. YOU SUCK.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156

You have my permission (as an American) to go after tooth and claw any "American" company that screws up anything, anywhere.

I dont even care if I happen to be foolish enough to own stock in said company. Each investor is responsible to have some understanding of the companies they own. If you DONT want to know what the company you own as a shareholder is doing, then you have no right to cry when that company loses your money.

It may be tradition for people to just throw fistfuls of dollars at companies they know nothing about, but its a stupid tradition, and if you participate in it, you have no one but yourself to blame.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This article is sickening

Do not bite !!

Do not take the bait !!

I am sure that there is no fury from the average American person against the general British people
I am sure that there is no backlash from the average British citizen either

Bottom line - Powerful people involved in the oil/money markets (of various nationalities ........with loyalty to none .... parties extending way beyond just BP) are trying to take a terrible situation, (resulting from pure greed, large scale organised criminality, disregard for the environment, disregard for humanity, continued suppression of any viable alternative to oil) and spin it, to deflect from the real arena of culpability - in an attempt to set us against each other..... breed hate and distrust against the innocent who have had no input into this situation.

On this site - we should know better x

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by Retseh

Are the British really that petulant and childish? I haven't heard anyone over here saying anything bad about the British because of this scandal, we are focusing our anger on a multi-national company that just happens to be British in origin. It really doesn't take much for the Brits to get angry at us does it, what a reactionary bunch.

what the fudge you on?

yes there is now massive American bashing going on the the UK(more than usual), for branding the British as incompetent as BP,simply because we have have the word "British" in British Petroleum cmon.

this imaginary conflict is a result of the media, the news outlets. they are hyping this for some reason. maybe there are other oil companies interested in taking over what they where doing in US, and they are trying to create as much friction between BP and America as possible

[edit on 11-6-2010 by MR BOB]

This is in fact correct ( it IS an IMAGINARY CONFLICT, created by the media)
There is no bashing or sentiment in the US that labels the " British" as incompetent due to BP's disaster.

Most Americans know BP and know that the policies of multinational corps do NOT represnet the citizens of any given country.

The media seems to be folliwing an agenda here by manufacturing dissent.
Keep eyes on this one.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join