It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope begs forgiveness, promises action on abuse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Pope Begs Forgiveness

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope Benedict XVI begged forgiveness Friday from clerical abuse victims for the sins of priests and promised to "do everything possible" to ensure that prelates don't rape or molest children ever again.

I guess the old tactic of moving child rapists to other locations is off the table now.

In his homily, Benedict lamented that during what should have been a year of joy for the priesthood the "sins of priests came to light - particularly the abuse of the little ones."

This disgusting old man insults each and every victim by referring to child rape as "abuse".

He said in admitting men into the priesthood and in forming them as clergymen "we will do everything we can to weigh the authenticity of their vocation and make every effort to accompany priests along their journey, so that the Lord will protect them and watch over them in troubled situations and amid life's dangers."

Personally, I think they need a better control mechanism than have "the lord watch over them".

Sounds like more papal lip service to me

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The Lord Jesus Christ tells us to forgive someone only when they are truly sorry.
Until I see Vatican II absolved, pedophilia eradicated, and some of the corrections made to the Council of Trent, there can be no forgiveness!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
The Lord Jesus Christ tells us to forgive someone only when they are truly sorry.

It's hard to believe the apologies of a man involved in the cover up. These apologies, begs for forgiveness and promises just seem like routine damage control and rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

where does he tell us that?

"Forgive them, Father, they know not what they do."

????

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The Catholic church (just like a lot of other religious institutions) has only one goal: THE PRESERVATION OF THEIR POWER!!

They will do or say anything to make sure they reach that goal. The church's power comes from the gullibility and BLIND devotion of its followers, and as long as they have that, nothing will change. I'm sure they are some good priests, just like there's good people everywhere, but the organization as a whole is a rotten piece of corruption and intrigue that only wants to control its followers so they continue to pay the church tax.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
The Catholic church (just like a lot of other religious institutions) has only one goal: THE PRESERVATION OF THEIR POWER!!

They will do or say anything to make sure they reach that goal.

They'll keep that, rest assured. Remember, the Obama administration is backing the Vatican in this case and recommends excusing them from due justice on the basis of diplomatic immunity.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

And they're doing it in order to not upset Christian voters. They know if they piss of the Church, they'll lose voters. Why do you think all politicians always state they're Christian, even though our constitution says religion shouldn't matter? The republicans wouldn't do it any other way sadly...

It's time people WAKE UP and stop blindly following religious institutions. Sadly I don't think that'll happen for another 100 years

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

It's time people WAKE UP and stop blindly following religious institutions. Sadly I don't think that'll happen for another 100 years

You'd think that people would immediately stop sending their children to an organization that runs an organized child rape ring.

But people never suspect THEIR priest as an offender... that happens in OTHER towns, not mine. Same thing happens with politicians: let's get the incumbents out... but MY representative did some good so we'll send him back to DC.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The problem with religion is a vicious circle:

1) I believe in God.
2) The church represents God because they created scriptures stating God exists...and God obviously spoke through the church to create those scriptures.
3) If I go against the church, I go against God...because the church represents God.
4) If I go against the church, I have to question my faith and possibly admit that I was wrong.

And NO ONE likes to be wrong. The desire to not be wrong overrides common sense

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

And they're doing it in order to not upset Christian voters. They know if they piss of the Church, they'll lose voters. Why do you think all politicians always state they're Christian, even though our constitution says religion shouldn't matter? The republicans wouldn't do it any other way sadly...

And yet it was the current Democratic president who lied about his religion..

Anyways, the Church doesn't decide to hire perverts, any more than any other place does. Basically, what I'm saying, is that a farmer wouldn't purposefully make a small amount of his crop rotten, right? He'd just cull the herd when he found the bad parts, and apologize to the consumers who were unfortunate enough to get stuck with them.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by MrFake]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

It's not just that they have rapists in their ranks...it's mostly how they handled those cases. The church is sooooooooo afraid of losing power (and admitting mistakes is endangering their power) that they rather hide their shortcomings. Your farmer apologizes and moves on...the church tries everything to hide their crimes! They even came out with a manual telling priests how to do exactly that!!

Regarding Obama having lied, no one has any proof. The fact remains, if you state you're not Christian in this country, you can forget running for office. It SHOULDN'T make a difference according to the constitution, but sadly the Evangelists are so influential, they'd sabotage anyone who isn't Christian. They are spitting on the constitution if someone goes against their faith.

The Evangelists are the single most dangerous group in the US. They aren't logical, rational, or intelligent...they are blindly faith driven and love to ignore facts. They'd still support the church if it committed worse crimes...

[edit on 11-6-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

The problem with religion is a vicious circle:

1) I believe in God.
2) The church represents God because they created scriptures stating God exists...and God obviously spoke through the church to create those scriptures.
3) If I go against the church, I go against God...because the church represents God.
4) If I go against the church, I have to question my faith and possibly admit that I was wrong.

And NO ONE likes to be wrong. The desire to not be wrong overrides common sense

Wrong.
Sorry but the church did not create those scriptures at all neither do they represent God or anything close to God, they represent Satan.

Theres a thing called Church vs the Bible.
The Churches are just haunted houses.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think firstly the Pope and his council should take lie detector test. Then we can firstly know what the Pope is really about first or how many illegitimate things he has done.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

[And NO ONE likes to be wrong. The desire to not be wrong overrides common sense

The sad thing is that they're already wrong and have failed to exercise common sense by employing the circular reasoning you brought up in your post.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaosinorder
I think firstly the Pope and his council should take lie detector test. Then we can firstly know what the Pope is really about first or how many illegitimate things he has done.

Well, lie detectors don't actually work.

Plus, there's more than enough evidence available to confirm exactly the level of his involvement in covering up child rape.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake

Anyways, the Church doesn't decide to hire perverts, any more than any other place does.

No, but they do decide not to fire them and instead move them to new locations so that they can repeat the crimes. That makes them complicit in the crimes

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
atheists please do not give threads relating to religion/s your attention. by acknowledging it, you give it holy power.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Promises can be broken. The only way to keep those predators away from the children is to do basic background checks. And if these perpetrators have done harm to the children, they should be `fired` from their jobs immediately and brought to justice - jailed and/or executed.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
atheists please do not give threads relating to religion/s your attention. by acknowledging it, you give it holy power.

Indeed. As an atheist I should remove this thread. Threads with power, especially holy power, are becoming dangerous to the posters here.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
just because you dont follow the pope, doesnt mean you are an atheist ... amazing the religious nuts propaganda

if he let the police do their job, I would respect that, but this "action" its a joke

lets remember, you know what they did if a priest was being accused of rape? he was FREAKING REALLOCATED, so he could rape again, but not have the locals on it, and when the locals started asking questions, they reallocated the priest again, and again, and again, and again ...

he should be put to death because of that, lets be real, rape is the same as killing the person, you totality change the life of a person, and yes, not in the positive way ...

the worse thing of all, is that, ok, he didnt give the priests to the police, but even worse, he let the guy continue to be a freaking priest, so he could use the most amazing profession for a rapist in this planet !! you can never ask forgiveness for that, thats just shameful that even today people dont wake up to these control freaks

keep reading your bible, but if God really exists and really cares, I am sure he would not want people not using the power of their brain to try to understand things, instead of considering the mind of psychopaths as something divine

top topics

<<   2 >>

join