It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cutting The Cord: The World Of Wireless Electricity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Nice written article here with a few videos to give us all a better understand about this technology. Looks like Tesla is making a rebound.

www.wellhome.com...

MIT Assistant Professor of Physics Marin Soljačić couldn’t sleep. The sound of his wife’s dying cell phone beeping over and over as it went dead was keeping him up. One night he laid awake thinking, “if there was so much electricity running through the house and in nearby objects, surely some of them could charge the stupid phone.” He was right. Soljačić transformed that nuisance and theory into a solution using principles of wireless power transmission. The solution will allow him to never have to listen to his wife’s dying phone again. Of course, Marin Soljačić was not the first to conceptualize wireless electricity, his work is based on many others’ research and discoveries in the field of wireless electricity.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by baddmove]

[edit on 11-6-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think this is BAD news.

The wireless electricity coupled with all the other radio waves we are bombarded with daily will lead to worse cancers, more confusion of animals/insects, and an overall increase in waist consumer goods.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
My big concern with wireless power is the wasted electricity.

Firstly if the electricity transmitter or whatever they call it is on, it must be producing a beam of "power" or simply radiating it in all directions. Either way I don't see how it could all be collected efficiently on the other side. Not to mention power loss as the distance between the source and the receiving device is increased, and it will be as people get lazier.

Even if this was figured out I still can’t see how transmitting could possibly anywhere near as efficient as using a cable.

As much as I hate cables, I'm not going to take a jump in power bill just to get rid of them.

And all this in a world where more people are "going green”. I suspect wireless power won't take off like this guy hopes it will.

new topics

join