It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan tests Space Solar Sail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Japanese scientists are celebrating the successful deployment of their solar sail, Ikaros.

The 200-sq-m (2,100-sq-ft) membrane is attached to a small disc-shaped spacecraft that was put in orbit last month by an H-IIA rocket.

For years I’ve seen these things depicted in Sci-Fi... I always thought it was a good idea but never imagined i would see a real attempt at this technology... I always thought scientist would continue down the path of bigger and more powerful rockets and maybe moving on to nuclear or ion based propulsion...

Glad to see them trying something different

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Cool find.

The technique has long been touted as a way of moving spacecraft around the Solar System using no chemical fuels.
I wish they'd concentrate on doing that here on earth first.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Yes very true...

Our reliance on oil needs to end... as recent events in the gulf of Mexico have illustrated!!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Wow what a fantastic feat, the Japanese are leading the way in innovation in space.
Great thread on a briliant breakthrough
So is it the lack of resistance in the partial vaccum of space that allows it to get faster with only miniscule pressure on the sails?
Will the solar dust damage the sails?
Speaking of solar dust how does that affect the vaccum of the solar sysem /space?

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Dr Expired]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This is way, cool....I am glad somebody is stepping up to explore new technologies and take the lead in the publics eye of space faring...
Take that Obama's NASA

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I'm curious to see how it would fare, considering how much trash we have orbiting the planet. Granted, they may just have an application in the cleanup process...

top topics

join