It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnson warns of "anti-British" rhetoric over BP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Johnson warns of "anti-British" rhetoric over BP

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk

THE "anti-British rhetoric" levelled at BP in the wake of the Louisiana oil spill was becoming a matter of "national concern", London Mayor Boris Johnson warned today.
He said the company was paying "a very,very heavy price" for what had been an accident, and pointed out that UK pension funds had a "huge exposure" to BP.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.army.mil

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
BP, Haliburton and Blackwater - Sabatoge?
Gulf Coast evac plan called "Swift Fox?"

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

"When you consider the huge exposure of British pension funds to BP it starts to become a matter of national concern if a great British company is being continually beaten up on the airwaves.

Whether this was an accident, sabatoge, or false flag incident has no bearingon the fact that BP should be held accountable for the cost to the enviornment, loss of lives on the rig, and loss of livelihood all along the Gulf coast.

Not to mention the impact to the entire world if this cannot be contained. There is talk of evacuations and what may happen if the oil makes its way out of the gulf into the ocean. While I sympathise with the number of Britians who may lose their pensions, many of US citizens have already lost theirs.

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Wait for it next will come some British Independent Group announcing to the country to boycot BP and go to their rivals .....oh the fickle irony.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Too freaking bad, perhaps the investors should have paid more attention to what their money was doing. They were certainly happy enough to accept the dividends, now they also have to accept the responsibility.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

i think the (sick) irony is that the USA has sought to have monopoly over oil for ages and now they they quite literally flooded with it. I'm sure i'll get flamed for saying this but doesn't stop it being true.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

BP is the fourth largest company worldwide, this 'disaster' has uncovered so much hidden data about this company, the more I look the more I find BP are even in bed with Russia. What alot of people don't realise is that BP has many many subsidiarys. The deeper you go the more you find.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, BP is the United States' hundredth largest donor to political campaigns, having contributed more than US$5 million since 1990, 72% and 28% of which went to Republican and Democratic recipients, respectively. BP has lobbied to gain exemptions from U.S. corporate law reforms.[80] Additionally, BP paid the Podesta Group, a Washington, D.C.-based lobbying firm, $160,000 in the first half of 2007 to manage its congressional and government relations.[81]

In February 2002 BP's chief executive, Lord Browne of Madingley, renounced the practice of corporate campaign contributions, noting: "That's why we've decided, as a global policy, that from now on we will make no political contributions from corporate funds anywhere in the world."[82]

Despite this, in 2009 BP used nearly US$16 million to lobby US Congress, breaking the company's previous record (from 2008) of US$10.4 million.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Americans have as much a stake in this Company as Britons with equal shares and three times as many US workers than British.

www.bp.com...

it's lost nearly 50billion in value since the spill and would do no one any good if it went under.Asian oil companies could also attempt a take over which no one wants.I understand why Obama wants to up the rhetoric but he has to be careful.Haliburton and Transocean seem to have kept a low profile and escaped much of the criticism which is being directed at BP while it's still not clear what exactly happened.However BP makes billions a year and if anyone can foot the bill for the clean up BP can .it has already spent a couple of billion dollars on the containment and clean up.It's up to the politicians to make sure they pay up and not get out of it like EXXON did.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by INQUISITION11]

[edit on 11-6-2010 by INQUISITION11]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Wonder if this guy will change his tune, when his beloved company. Which Im sure he gets plenty of kickbacks from. Starts having their oil staining their shores. What is the possibility this will happen now? The chances seem to grow more an more by the day. Think he will find it serious and start bashing BP when he see's tar balls of oil washing up? And then he turns on the t.v. and see's Tony Hayward giving a speech on how they are gonna fix it and blah-blah-blah. Im afraid we might find out.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

40% of BP dividends are paid to US pension funds.

BP has more employees in the USA than in the UK.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by letscit

That was what I was thinking. We still don't know how bad or big this is going to be. Instead of worrying about profit, the world needs to consider the ramifications to the enviorment before those tar balls start washing ashore the European coast.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Fang

Just another example of how this crisis will affect Americans. People gotta make a living. I don't condem those who have put their money in the oil industry, or those who work for. I condem those whose greed for money and material possessions override their concern for their fellow man.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
People needs to understand that the US gulf venture is only one of many of BP have around the world, US BP drilling is just one of many and not the most profitable either.

All the talks about bankruptcy and the "anti-British" rhetoric is just propaganda, yes they are link to the markets globally that is expected but the oils pill will not bankrupt BP at all, they just will fall bankruptcy for their Gulf venture and still have the rest of their profits intact.

Yes they will take a lost, UK probably will take advantage of this disaster and BP gulf shares downfall making their citizens believe that they are in trouble and push stern measures against a possible national downfall.

Is all lies.

The falling for bankruptcy will only benefit BP as they will be able to cap their loses.

Because US never had a disaster like this is not laws enacted to deal with this type of law sues and bankruptcy and BP will have plenty of loopholes to get itself lost in and at the end the tax payer will be the biggest loser in the US

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
when the pressure was noticed
the sub asked for a chopper BP said no
the sub called a private chopper and left
the operator said stop
the boss said go
she blew killing a bunch of people

the brass and bankers sold off showing prior knowledge
they just did the pressure math
they are saying it was OCCULT knowledge
these people
are DESPERATE to avoid liability
the pensioners
and
the minions of the PTB are going to lose all
on this deal
minions drink yer flouride!

they have contributed to all these politicians and are owned by the heads of state primarily

experts are saying once that pipe is scoured out which will take about
a month, the hole will just keep enlarging and the flow will be unstoppable.

they are calling this an extinction level event
exept the PTB plan to use it to further their agenda
they paln to be the only ones left stamding to avoid liability
and they ARE THAT LOW

it will take about 18 months for the oil to toxify all the oceans

the oil pressure will equalize
the water will fill the void
it is TWICE the temperature it takes to boil water down there
the steam pressure is likely to blow like a pressure cooker
the tsunami will blow crap
all over the southern US

thats not counting hurricanes
the NUKE option which fix or fail is EXTREME
starvation do to the death of food chains
evac
etc etc etc

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

they are calling this an extinction level event
exept the PTB plan to use it to further their agenda
they paln to be the only ones left stamding to avoid liability
and they ARE THAT LOW

it will take about 18 months for the oil to toxify all the oceans

the oil pressure will equalize
the water will fill the void
it is TWICE the temperature it takes to boil water down there
the steam pressure is likely to blow like a pressure cooker
the tsunami will blow crap
all over the southern US

thats not counting hurricanes
the NUKE option which fix or fail is EXTREME
starvation do to the death of food chains
evac
etc etc etc

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Danbones]

Does this sound like Agenda 21 sustainable development? No, I am not fear mongering. The point is that we truley do not know how this is going to effect the Gulf of Mexico let alone the entire world. We can only speculate. So far, none of the speculations look good.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

You know, I still have deep misgivings how this happened and why so little action seems to be evident..

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Too freaking bad, perhaps the investors should have paid more attention to what their money was doing. They were certainly happy enough to accept the dividends, now they also have to accept the responsibility.

This is EXACTLY right....

I completely understand why folks are upset about their funds dropping... HOWEVER, to act like "well it was just an accident" seems to remove the concept of Risk that goes along with reward.

I have no sympathy for those who claim that their stock dropping is somehow unfair.

top topics

join