It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Leaders Want Gulf Drilling to Resume

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Louisiana Leaders Want Gulf Drilling to Resume

www.msnbc.msn.com

As angry as they are over the disaster, state officials warn that the Obama administration's temporary ban on drilling in the Gulf has sent Louisiana's most lucrative industry into a death spiral.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
As the leak pours into the Gulf, LA officials are concerned about their biggest employer: drilling for oil.

"They contend that drilling is safe overall and that the moratorium is a knee-jerk reaction, akin to grounding every airplane in America because of a single crash. "

At this point they have been told that BP will be paying for their losses, these jobs included, looks like the bill for the spill is going to rack up more than a struggling company can pay. BP is losing it's money daily, but it's bills are piling up, if they go under how will these people get their money???

"Every one of these deepwater wells employs directly hundreds of people and indirectly thousands," said Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana. "This is one company. This is one well. It's a terrible situation and no one is making light of it, but what I'm saying, as strongly as I can, to this president is the economic analysis is devastating to many companies, thousands of companies."

Our need for gas includes the need to employ people to extract it, looks like LA is getting another rude awakening.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
S&F
very good find as it looks at it
from the LA economic standpoint.

But in this case, it's like a heroin junkie
begging his supplier for another fix when
the next fix could kill him.

or does it sound more like:

Last call for Alcohol !!!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The oil companies here are one of the largest producers of tax revenue.

Without that revenue, Louisiana will suffer even more than it already is.
Economically we had been able to get by while the rest of the country worsened, but after the oil spill we are going to end up like California.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Off-shore drilling and its business should be replaced by solar panels factories, green cars companies, wind machines, hydro-electricity devices...

Oil is the past, all companies specialized in this business are just harming Earth and will have to face a forced closing, sooner or later. Those hot shots are just pathetically hooking on a vicious activity where a lot of money is at stake.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Please, Sir. Can I have more?

Without increased safeguards, and oh, jeeze, Jindal wants more of the same? I'm obviously stupid. Someone, maybe from the government or BP, please enlighten me. Pardon me if I puke on your shoes. At least I will find a way to stop the puke and clean your shoes, quickly.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I feel like Louisiana is getting shafted at every turn, with so many economic and natural disasters that have affected the state, it is clear that only the resileince of the people keep it going!

I feel like at times that Obama has no idea what he talks about, or why he takes the actions he does, I am thinking that after someone enlightens him about the industry affecting LA because it is losing it's largest industry he will probably come back and say we need to resume drilling.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I believe he is aready heading down that trail.

2nd line for some reason, even I can't explain.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Yeah we feel the same here, as if the Federal government hates us or they are insane.

After Katrina many people were frustrated, but this oil spill insanity is just too much. Its almost sad when people who couldn't stand Bush here, have come to think he did a better job with Katrina than Obama has with this mess.

I don't know how this will end, but our fishing industry, worth billions will be dead. When the vegetation in the marshes die off, we will have a new coast line miles and miles further in than where it is now. There will be nothing to protect New Orleans from even a small hurricane surge after the marsh is gone.

We are one of the few states in the Union that sends more tax revenue to Washington D.C. than we get in federal funds. We don't need Washington. If they keep treating us like rejects, Jindal and Louisiana need to ask what exactly to we get out of staying with them.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I am really shocked that this thread has so few responses, given the issue at hand, a massive catastrophe leak in the gulf that seems to have no end in sight, most affected area at this point is Louisiana, yet they do not want drilling to stop, IMO that is Irony with a capital I!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAMOo
Off-shore drilling and its business should be replaced by solar panels factories, green cars companies, wind machines, hydro-electricity devices...

Oil is the past, all companies specialized in this business are just harming Earth and will have to face a forced closing, sooner or later. Those hot shots are just pathetically hooking on a vicious activity where a lot of money is at stake.

Although its not a simple as you make out, society cannot just change to alternate energy overnight forget it, it ain't gonna happen. As oil supplies dwindle or become un-economic to produce in the future, pressure to move to alternates energy will increase and force a gradual change. That IS how it will happen and nothing will change that.

Back to the threads issue, drilling and work in the oil industry is the staple of the southern states economies, on a more global scale the price of oil will rise sharply once demand is affected by the lack of drilling.

When that happens, everyone will be crying - just like the last time prices shot up.

We live in a materialistic world powered by oil and money. Its not gonna change. We as humanity brought this upon ourselves now we have to deal with the consequences.

[edit on 12/6/2010 by who-me?]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

With the fishing industry killed, the tourist industry in peril, sport fishing gone.

About all LA has left is energy production.

Good Luck

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
capitolism is funny because when it comes down to it dc and its coleague bodies make the choice.

i live in louisiana and i dont see how offshore drilling helps the local economy. i mean theres always another job you can give joe with the will to work. i could go on about sociology and how that plays a part; because it does but in a funny way: like a im a member of this caste system because of how polite i can be to this person who you cant be polite to. so really if the people who own lands and dont mind selling them to the gov after a declaration is passed pass and flee were they really inheritors of the land they claimed as their own.im suprised the nation is as weak as it is compared to the decisions a state makes. the right people with their heads not in the ground at the wrong time.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAMOo

Yes, these really don't help LA out at all... and right now, the green thing is a complete waste of time.
LA need Oil dollars, not Carbon Credits.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
Although its not a simple as you make out, society cannot just change to alternate energy overnight forget it, it ain't gonna happen. As oil supplies dwindle or become un-economic to produce in the future, pressure to move to alternates energy will increase and force a gradual change. That IS how it will happen and nothing will change that.

We live in a materialistic world powered by oil and money. Its not gonna change. We as humanity brought this upon ourselves now we have to deal with the consequences.
[edit on 12/6/2010 by who-me?]

We live in a materialistic world, powered by energy and money. Cars need energy to cruise, your TV needs energy to come on, boats need energy to cross the globe to bring on your table an apple that you could grow in your garden...

Concretely, materially, green energies are ready to be widespread. The existing models are viable and autonomous. Billions of dollars are invested each year in oil, its extraction, its transfornation and its transport.
Half of those investments would be enough to launch effectively the green business worldwide in two years, maybe less. Oil wouldn't be dispensable yet, I'm not saying that, this would be unrealistic, but needs could be divided by three or four. We need nothing but a political will, the alledged "dependence" on oil is bull#, that's what TPTB want you to believe, so that they can keep making a lot of money on a business that is harmfull and inappropriate. Energy doesn't mean oil, yet everybody seems to forget that.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The more oil left in the ground the more there is to leak out. It would be better to drain the wells than let it leak into the ocean. Also, like a plane crash or train derailment - the overall likelihood of one happening is slight compared to the number of journeys undertaken; stopping all oil drilling in the Gulf just because of one accident (an unusually large one) is a little like a child stopping eating because he almost choked on a biscuit.

TBH, I think it strange that these "accidents" are all occurring during a recession. I know that businesses like to scrimp during hard times but the oil industry isn't one that really has to, it wouldn't drill were it unprofitable and it definitely wouldn't chance a large loss of finance and confidence like this accident has caused it. I suspect a submarine or a fightback by marine life (lol).

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Also, separate your environmentalist notions from your ideas of industrial safety practices and you will be able to think a little more realistically.

We all know that pollution is bad for carbon based, oxygen breathing animal life but that's not good enough reason to let ideas about pollution enter a debate about the general safety of oil and gas drilling. The two are not the same. Granted the resources obtained lead pollution but the process of drilling isn't the main cause of it; just like breathing isn't the main cause of death, it is a precursor but not the cause

top topics

join